E4OD tranny shifting hard still!!!!!!!

E4OD tranny shifting hard still!!!!!!!

brian
brian

March 16th, 2006, 5:13 pm #1

i have a 92 f150 with a e40d
it has shifted hard since i got the truck, slams in all gears.
i scaned for codes and there was none
i checked line pressure and they were all in spec.
so i droped it off at a trans shop today and just got the call, they said it was a bad pressure regulator and needed a whole rebuild.
i am not a trans guy but i am pretty sure the regulator is in the valve body???and if it was a pressure regulator wouldent i have high line pressure??

help me please i dont want to get ripped off
brian

Mustang50matt
Mustang50matt

March 20th, 2006, 12:06 am #2

A bad MLPS (manual lever position sensor) is known to cause shifting problems on e4od's. Do not know if it would set a code though? At least its a cheap part to try.

brian
brian

March 21st, 2006, 6:35 am #3

i checked every voltage in every range and they were perfect.

help
brian

Bob Cooper
Bob Cooper

March 21st, 2006, 6:26 pm #4

so i droped it off at a trans shop today and just got the call, they said it was a bad pressure regulator and needed a whole rebuild.
i am not a trans guy but i am pretty sure the regulator is in the valve body???and if it was a pressure regulator wouldent i have high line pressure??

brian
Hi,

The one thing to check that is in the Accumulator valve body is the Modulator plunger size. Having a broken spring or an oversized plunger could cause this kind of shifting.

.372" for this plunger for big V-8 and Diesel.

.472 O.D. High performance

.500" shift hard racing applications.

Drop pan;
Pull out filter (pushes in to bottom of pump cavity;
remove Accumulator Valve Body;
Remove pull clip on modulator valve;
Remove Accumulator Sleve and Plunger;
(Note each way spings and inner plunger are installed)

Mic O.D. of plunger and replace if necessary.

If you need assistance, I have pictures of a rebuild. Just let me know and I will send you pics.

As far as the Line Pressure Regulator, the actual valve is located in the pump.

Did you check the line pressure at idle and then elevated RPM's during shifting to see if it was correct?

Hope this is helpful.

If you need help with overhauling your own E4OD, I am producing an ebook that can help you build tools and rebuild the E4OD trans.

Thomas
Thomas

March 21st, 2006, 8:27 pm #5

Hi, could you send me the pics of rmoving your valve body? Thanks, Tom

brian
brian

March 22nd, 2006, 7:24 am #6

Hi,

The one thing to check that is in the Accumulator valve body is the Modulator plunger size. Having a broken spring or an oversized plunger could cause this kind of shifting.

.372" for this plunger for big V-8 and Diesel.

.472 O.D. High performance

.500" shift hard racing applications.

Drop pan;
Pull out filter (pushes in to bottom of pump cavity;
remove Accumulator Valve Body;
Remove pull clip on modulator valve;
Remove Accumulator Sleve and Plunger;
(Note each way spings and inner plunger are installed)

Mic O.D. of plunger and replace if necessary.

If you need assistance, I have pictures of a rebuild. Just let me know and I will send you pics.

As far as the Line Pressure Regulator, the actual valve is located in the pump.

Did you check the line pressure at idle and then elevated RPM's during shifting to see if it was correct?

Hope this is helpful.

If you need help with overhauling your own E4OD, I am producing an ebook that can help you build tools and rebuild the E4OD trans.
i never checked the line pressure going down the road.
i checked it at idle and at stall.would the pressure be the same going down the road as the stall pressure?
it is possable it has been upgraded for towing because the truck has a 5th wheel and a number of hook ups for trailer lights.
some pics of droping the accumulator body would be helpfull.
i have tore into a aod and a c4 but never a e4od
thanks so much
brian

March 22nd, 2006, 12:53 pm #7

brian
This is self explanatory.

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/pa ... 948-19.htm

Bob Cooper
Bob Cooper

March 22nd, 2006, 8:29 pm #8

i never checked the line pressure going down the road.
i checked it at idle and at stall.would the pressure be the same going down the road as the stall pressure?
it is possable it has been upgraded for towing because the truck has a 5th wheel and a number of hook ups for trailer lights.
some pics of droping the accumulator body would be helpfull.
i have tore into a aod and a c4 but never a e4od
thanks so much
brian
Hi Brian,

A couple more things to verify as well.

Proper function of the E4OD Vechicle Speed Sensor located in the speedometer gear cable where it enters the extension housing?

Proper readings from idle to WOT key on / engine off for the Throttle Position Sensor? (Using a ohm meter)

Have you scanned for computer code readings as welll? OBD-I

If so and both sensors above are functioning properly and no computer codes are present (trans related), and the line pressure is high enough at stall and within specs at idle, and the problem is hard shifts in all gears as you described, it most likely is in the Accumulator Vavle Body Modulator Line Pressure / EPC Circuit.

But, if line pressure is HIGH all the time, it could be Sensor / computer related / Pump Pressure Regulator circuit / or valve body loose / Case not flat at Valve Body plate.

After checking sensors and codes my next check would be:

The Modulator plunger size too large; or stuck plunger or misaligned/broken-jammed spring; leaking sleeve to vavle body bore, Dirt or debris in valve body.

The two links below are to some information and pictures they may be helpful. They are from my Ebook which I am currently working on.

http://www.consumerhigh.com/public/files/accum1.htm

http://www.consumerhigh.com/public/files/accum2.htm

Let me know what you find out.

Bob

David
David

March 24th, 2006, 6:22 pm #9

brian
If that trans has been set up for towing then someone probably installed a shift kit if the accumulator springs have been stiffened or some shims installed. If that is the case line pressure will be exactly right but accumulator pressure will be higher. Accumulator pressure cannot be measured. If it has no codes and everything electrical is working then if has to be a hydraulic issue. You need to pull the pan and get the accumulator body looked at. If you are doing it yourself be careful not to rip the vb gasket.
That sonnax valve is something I wouldn't consider. Ive built 100s of E4OD trannys and have never once had any problems with that velve having to be replaced. And by the way I work very closely with sonnax and there products on of there R&D shops is 10 minutes from me and I talk to greg or Bob Warnke very frequently.I am also a Tasc Fork member with Sonnax.

March 25th, 2006, 12:58 pm #10

By the same token I have seen several with that problem.