e4od, fipl, no signal

e4od, fipl, no signal

July 1st, 2010, 3:26 am #1

Hello I have a 94 f450 7.3 that starts in first gear shifs to second then won't find third till you are winding up too close to redline, and as soon as it shifts and the rpm's drop it jumps out of third, run the throttle up again it jumps in third and right out when rpm's drop, I get a fipl code no signal, the scanner is not picking up the fipl sensor, I do get the proper voltage reading at the fipl withn a voltmeter, but computer still reads nothing from fipl, This truck seemed to not get high gear till it warmed up before then it ran fine for a while, now it seems like you have to wind it up too tight for a shift to third, then back to second, any ideas? Trans was rebuilt before I got this truck, I'm thinking it may have not worked right so they gave up and sent it to the auction where I got it and it's problems. Thank You Ken

Jim K
Jim K

July 2nd, 2010, 1:26 pm #2

FIPL sensor sends info to the computer to tell it when to shift. Set it up as follows; disconnect wire from the high idle sensor, turn key on, engine off, check the voltage between the center wire and either wire on the plug on the FIPL sensor with the plug in place. On the sensor(use paper clips or such to push into the back of the wires on the plug and use them to put the meter leads onto). There are 3 wires on the plug. You are looking for 1.0 volts. If you do not have the proper reading loosen the 2 screws on the sensor and rotate the sensor to achieve the 1.0 volt setting. You won't have to move it much to see a change in voltage. If you can't get the correct voltage, check the sensor with ohm meter to see if shorted or open (replace as necessary). If sensor okay, check wiring harness to computer for opens or shorts. Disconnect the wiring harness connector to computer and check for any terminal corrosion (fix as needed). With ohm meter, make sure there is continuity between the FIPL sensor and the computer wiring harness connector and repair as needed. If that is okay, looks like you have a bad computer.

July 3rd, 2010, 2:59 pm #3

Thanks I have the proper voltages at the sensor, I need to check connections to computer, I have someone looking for a wiring diagram for this which I don't have yet, hopefully the color code is the same at the computer plug and i can follow the sensor wires, To check for a broken wire or bad connection.

ken
ken

July 3rd, 2010, 10:39 pm #4

Hello I was looking for the transmission computer (pass side footwell area) behind the glove compartment- kick panel, I find a black box approx. 5x5x2, Now there is 2 plugs near this box 1 white, 1 gray, niether was connected the white fit so i connected it started truck now i have the o/d light working i think it didn't work before, have not driven the truck yet yo see if there is a difference, would this be the transmission controler (computer) i was expecting a larger metal box? Thanks Ken

Mac
Mac

July 6th, 2010, 4:09 pm #5

Whats the number on the box?
Mac

July 7th, 2010, 7:27 pm #6

little black box F2UB-14A624-FA I checked and it came back as the cruise control, I have been checking other places found a bad ground, speedometer was working then intermitant jumping below 30 mph then stabilizing? found a broken wire repaired it now it is constantly working, one 5 mile ride!, shifting improved but still hard 1/2 3rd sometimes a little late but working, did not check OD yet. I thought I was looking for a seperate trans controler, As I didn't find a reference to tach and VSS and trans sol. on EEC diagram (it may be for wrong truck) Thanks Ken

Jim K
Jim K

July 9th, 2010, 2:17 pm #7

The PCM is located on the firewall to the left and about a foot below the master brake cylinder. There are usually two big wire connectors there. The outer one is to the PCM. The inner is the bulkhead connector.

Jim K
Jim K

July 9th, 2010, 2:19 pm #8

By the way, there is no separate PCM for the transmission.

July 18th, 2010, 4:47 pm #9

Thanks somewhere I was told there was a seperate shift controler, but it must all work through the ecm, I have found a couple bad wires, which has improved a few things. (speedo doesn't bounce now)