C6 Stuck in low

C6 Stuck in low

April 7th, 2012, 10:43 pm #1

I am in the process of putting a new engine and was re-installing my C6 when while setting the linkage position I'd pulled the selector on the trans into low, now it is stuck there. It will move back and forth a bit but will not upshift and it feels solid so I have not tried to force it. The car is supported on four jack stands and the drive shaft turns freely. Any ideas? I found a post here that sounded like a similar issue, it was suggested that the park rod could be jamed. If that is what is wrong how difficult is that to access and repair?

1966 Comet Caliente, Survival Motorsports 445 Stroker, Comp 282S Solid Bumb Stick, C6AE-R 2.09I/1.65E Iron Heads, Blue Thunder 2X4V MR Intake, Barry's Custom Carbs, FPA Headers, 3 inch Pipes w/ Magna Flows, Wide Ratio C-6, 3000 Stall, 9" w/3.89's

April 8th, 2012, 4:10 am #2

That sucks. What you need to do is drop the pan. It sounds like your external linkage was set too far. When you drop the pan you should see what happened. At worst you will have to loosen the valve body. With the valve body loose you should be able to wiggle the internal linkage to get it freed up.

April 8th, 2012, 11:40 am #3

I am in the process of putting a new engine and was re-installing my C6 when while setting the linkage position I'd pulled the selector on the trans into low, now it is stuck there. It will move back and forth a bit but will not upshift and it feels solid so I have not tried to force it. The car is supported on four jack stands and the drive shaft turns freely. Any ideas? I found a post here that sounded like a similar issue, it was suggested that the park rod could be jamed. If that is what is wrong how difficult is that to access and repair?

1966 Comet Caliente, Survival Motorsports 445 Stroker, Comp 282S Solid Bumb Stick, C6AE-R 2.09I/1.65E Iron Heads, Blue Thunder 2X4V MR Intake, Barry's Custom Carbs, FPA Headers, 3 inch Pipes w/ Magna Flows, Wide Ratio C-6, 3000 Stall, 9" w/3.89's
Depending what year the transmission is.

If the detents are in the valve body or the rooster comb is on the linkage.

66 should have VB detents. The park rod is attached to the shift linkage in either set up.

I have seen the rooster comb detents go too far and get hung up.

Like allenman said, drop the pan.

April 8th, 2012, 3:19 pm #4

I should have given that info, it is a PGA-A3 a 1969 column shift passenger car trans from an LTD with an AOD gear set added built by Performance transmission in Clinton Il for up to 500HP with 500 miles on the rebuild. Dou you by chance have an expolded view or pics so I will know what to look for?

Well I dropped the pan and the valve body, quite simple actually as I was worried that springs or ball valves may go flying across the floor and of course that did not happen. Unfortunately that did not present a fix but it did narrow down the probem to the park rod. I had a hunch that it would as it had jumped out of park a couple times not going into reverse, just not holding park. So what is involved with getting the park rod realigned? I can move it around but I do not feel a guide or hole that it should go into. I do have another trans, the riginal cruise o matic or green dot trans that I can take the tail shaft off of to see what to expect if a practice run or alternate parts are needed so this does not happen again. TIA, Ed

Last edited by SE2839 on April 8th, 2012, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 2:31 am #5

Great car. Sounds like a great build.
1) It's not a gearset from an AOD, it's from an E4OD (sorry...)
2) The only way to negotiate that rod back into place is to jack the rear end and have a buddy spin the wheels to turn the output shaft. The park rod will go back into its hole.
3) If #2 does not work it gets worse. The output housing will have to come off (driveshaft off, tailhousing bolts out). It's still easier than pulling the trans.

Post back if you need more help

April 9th, 2012, 5:17 am #6

I was able to find the series of pics posted by 66Fairlane when he installed his Gear Vendors o/d. From the pics I could see what I was looking for and was able to get right into place. With that done I gave all things a once over, added the trans fluid and started it up. Satisfaction at last, and one day left of my weekend to get the yard done before my wife bails on me. Thanks for your help, Ed