C6 forward clutch drum differences

C6 forward clutch drum differences

July 10th, 2011, 12:52 pm #1

Will a forward clutch from a 78 or later C6 fit a 1974 C6 ? I have one and someone wants to buy it to use in a 1974 transmission and I have a vague recollection that there was a change in 75 or 76 that caused them to be different.

gregaust
gregaust

July 11th, 2011, 9:33 am #2

Theres a good chance its the same . Check the input shaft splines are same as some early ones used an input shaft that would fit in either way, later input shafts are different spline each end.

The other diference is the pocket in where the bearing sits . There are 2 different depths , Most common is .401-.405" some early ones were .320"

July 11th, 2011, 12:31 pm #3

Thanks greg ,

One more question about the bearing ,
if the bearing pocket is different can that be solved by changing the bearing to the later model? So if he has a .320 pocket then he has a bearing that is thinner and things will stack up wrong unless he gets a thicker bearing? If I send him the bearing that came with this drum and possibly the input shaft he should be good to go?

The buyer is in australia and I am in the US so I want to give him everything he needs in 1 box because of the shipping cost and the time.

Gregaust
Gregaust

July 12th, 2011, 7:41 am #4

The bearings i think are all the same . Just check likely you'll be ok anyway . I'd think the you'd need the hub that goes into the back of the forward drum to match would be different to suit the different drum.

gregaust
gregaust

July 12th, 2011, 7:50 am #5

July 13th, 2011, 2:53 am #6

The bearings i think are all the same . Just check likely you'll be ok anyway . I'd think the you'd need the hub that goes into the back of the forward drum to match would be different to suit the different drum.
Ok i can hook him up with a hub if need be, and an input shaft if it comes to that. He will have to check his drum to see if the splines are right and the depth of the bearing pocket on his drum he needs to replace.

The ball is in his court now so I'll have to wait to hear from him.

Thanks for responding so quickly , I really appreciate it.

Nathan