C6 band installation

C6 band installation

June 3rd, 2012, 2:49 pm #1

Can you replace the band in a C6 transmission with out the complete disassemble of the trans?
It looks like to me if you remove the valve body, mabe you could fish the band around the drum. Will it work this way?

June 3rd, 2012, 5:59 pm #2

Sorry, it's not possible to do that with a regular band.

However... there is, or was, a product called a "Snap Band" that will install from the bottom.

I don't think they are available anymore. Google.... "C6 Snap Band"

I consider them a Micky Mouse repair and only good if you are selling the car and just want to "patch up" the trans.

June 3rd, 2012, 6:21 pm #3

Ok, i understand that now. So to install the band the correct way, do i removed the front pump to get to it? Do i need a puller to remove the pump? The transmission is out of the car, laying upsidedown with the valve body removed.
Last edited by tmg1970gt on June 3rd, 2012, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 6:29 pm #4

The band was damaged when the trans was rebuilt last week. (the band lining was damaged,second thoughts on using it) I just need to know how much of the trans do i need to disasemble to R&R the band just itself.
Last edited by tmg1970gt on June 3rd, 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2012, 1:53 am #5

Ok, i understand that now. So to install the band the correct way, do i removed the front pump to get to it? Do i need a puller to remove the pump? The transmission is out of the car, laying upsidedown with the valve body removed.
Not 100% required to have a puller but it sure makes it easier. You have to be able to pop the pump from the back. Two cheap body dent pullers modified with all-thread are all I have ever used and they work great. Cost me under $10 each.