AOD to C6 swap

AOD to C6 swap

Jack
Jack

August 26th, 2010, 1:59 am #1

I have a '90 4x4 F150 with a 302 and an AOD tranny and transfer case. The tranny went out on me a couple weeks ago and I am trying to find some good information on switching the AOD to a C6. A buddy at work has a C6 and transfer case off a '86 302 engine. I am looking for some guidance on the swap. I know I will need to modify my crossmember as well as shorten my drive shaft. But I have a lot of questions like will my old drive shaft work with the C6 transfer case or will I need to put my old transfer case on the C6. The AOD used a TV cable to shift, how does the C6 shift? If anyone can help I am all ears or if anyone knows a good link to a site that performed the swap please let me know. Thanks.

August 26th, 2010, 4:16 am #2

Not much will fit.
Not only will the rear shaft have to be shortened but the front one will have to be lengthened.

Yokes are different.
The AOD Tcase won't fit the C6.
The C6 uses a kickdown lever but not a necessity.
C6's use engine vacuum.

Jack
Jack

August 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm #3

What do I hook the vac line up to that makes the tranny shift?

August 26th, 2010, 1:45 pm #4

Usually at the vacuum connection at the brake booster.

Kyle
Kyle

December 17th, 2011, 5:55 pm #5

Not much will fit.
Not only will the rear shaft have to be shortened but the front one will have to be lengthened.

Yokes are different.
The AOD Tcase won't fit the C6.
The C6 uses a kickdown lever but not a necessity.
C6's use engine vacuum.
The rear driveshaft will work and the front might need to be shortened depending on how much lift you are running the transfer case from the aod should bolt to the c6 and since you don't change transfer cases the yokes are the same

Just wanted to clarify

December 17th, 2011, 8:29 pm #6

"The rear driveshaft will work and the front might need to be shortened depending on how much lift you are running the transfer case from the aod should bolt to the c6 and since you don't change transfer cases the yokes are the same

Just wanted to clarify"

Well this thread is more than 1 year old and I imagine it is running by now, but.

AOD output shaft is the same size as a C4.

C6 has a much much larger shaft.

C6 came out with output shafts, 15 3/8" and 18 1/2".

AOD is 11 9/16".

There is a bit of difference in case lengths, 1/2".

He asked if the C6 transfer case would match his driveshaft. My response stays

So unless you have some form of alchemy up your sleeve some serious work must be done.

Broncfoot
Broncfoot

December 17th, 2011, 11:53 pm #7

What I found works best is to scour pull-A-part until a complete new inventory vehicle comes in. Linkage pivots brkts,braces,d/shafts etc are much easier that way-and cheaper in the long run- JC

tom
tom

December 18th, 2011, 10:28 pm #8

You would be better off just having the AOD rebuilt to work correctly.