AOD high idle TV pressure

AOD high idle TV pressure

May 6th, 2012, 6:12 am #1

We just put an AOD into my dads car that we built ourselves using the Bad Shoe videos. We've got a problem though - the TV pressure is way too high at idle, so it won't change gears. I cant say what the pressure is at the moment as it's only a 15 PSI gauge.
We've disconnected the cable completely, removed the pan to check nothing was stuck, and it all looks OK to the eye.

What could possibly cause this issue? If we've put the small valve in the wrong way could that do it?
Hopefully we don't have to remove the box completely, but I just don't know where to start looking now. I was really expecting to find the TV shaft stuck, or something obvious when we removed the pan.
Last edited by hybiepoo on May 6th, 2012, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 9:44 pm #2

Not knowing what you did to the valve body it's difficult to say.

Why not remove it and look?

tom
tom

May 6th, 2012, 10:10 pm #3

You must have tv linkage installed completely and it must put pressure on the lever at idle so that it will stay against the stop at idle.(at the trans) If this is not done the tv pressure will go from 65psi to 150psi and the trans won't shift. You must have between 0 -8 psi at idle to shift at all.

tom
tom

May 6th, 2012, 10:15 pm #4

If you find you can't adjust the tv pressure, the vb may be no good and it might be wise to get another one. Many AOD vb's are no good due to their previous life.

May 7th, 2012, 5:10 am #5

When you say the VB is no good, what do you mean by that?
The whole thing was pulled apart, cleaned, and re-built as per the bad shoe DVD.

The pressure was too high with the cable installed, and also without. So you're saying that there needs to be a slight tension on the cable with the throttle closed, or the pressure can actually be too high? I would have thought no cable would mean low pressure.

We might need to look at a complete replacement VB if it's a dud.

tom
tom

May 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm #6

No cable means high tv pressure. Just because you clean a vb, doesn't mean it's good.

May 7th, 2012, 3:12 pm #7

We just put an AOD into my dads car that we built ourselves using the Bad Shoe videos. We've got a problem though - the TV pressure is way too high at idle, so it won't change gears. I cant say what the pressure is at the moment as it's only a 15 PSI gauge.
We've disconnected the cable completely, removed the pan to check nothing was stuck, and it all looks OK to the eye.

What could possibly cause this issue? If we've put the small valve in the wrong way could that do it?
Hopefully we don't have to remove the box completely, but I just don't know where to start looking now. I was really expecting to find the TV shaft stuck, or something obvious when we removed the pan.
Jeff, if you want to check TV pressure, you'll need a 100 psi gauge. With engine at idle, cable removed from throttle body, the spring load at the tranny linkage should cause the pressure to be near zero. As you pull on the cable the pressure should rise with it stopping at about 85 psi with the cable pulled all the way. If your not getting that, the linkage is not engaged correctly to the valve body or there's something misassembled. If you are getting those readings and the cable is set as per video, but no upshifts, you need to be looking for stuck shift valves or governor.

Ken Collins, BadShoe Productions, How To DVD's specializing in Ford drivetrains www.badshoeproductions.com (banner ad below)
email; badshoe@myway.com

May 8th, 2012, 1:55 am #8

Thanks Ken.
We had planned to put a higher pressure gauge on it when we go back to check it again.
I bought the lower pressure one for my car so it was easier to set the 0-5 PSI at idle (mine was too high to start with too due to cable adjustment, but now all good).

So when we go back, we'll put the gauge back on it with the Lokar cable connected below, but not up top and see how we go.
If it's still too high, I was going to take the pan off again and remove the TV pressure valve to see if we did something wrong with the valve or spring. This is pretty easy to get at with the pan off without removing the VB.
Outside of that, we might be heading to the silverfox website to buy a VB.

I really appreciate the time you guys have taken to assist.

May 12th, 2012, 4:39 am #9

Thanks to those who helped on this.
Turns out it was as simple as the TV lever not quite returning all the way.
We've put a small spring in place to help it come back and it seems fine now.

Maybe shifting a bit early (3500) at higher throttle openings, but sounds like that's normal for the AOD.