aod converter balance

aod converter balance

c bonecutter
c bonecutter

October 26th, 2008, 1:59 pm #1

Has anyone exprianced an out of balanve converter on an AOD? My story is that I bought a V-8 pinto for a toy. It came with a strong 302 that had shakes at any crusing speed. Having not built the engine myself I thought it was an engine balance issue. I thought that being fluid filled the torque converter was a non issue. I bought a 86 5.0 roller engine and installed The vibration is still there tho at a different rpm range. I assume because of the different inbalance of the two engines. The converter is a higher stall of unknow brand. should I just change it out or look elsewhere BTW the vibration is present at free revs in park and is noticeable fearfully so at certain rpms.

Pete
Pete

October 26th, 2008, 3:14 pm #2

Check that you have the correct flexplate for the year 302 you have. They come in 28oz and 50 oz.

c bonecutter
c bonecutter

October 26th, 2008, 4:02 pm #3

the first engine had a 28oz this engine (a roller cam engine) has the 50oz that was one of my thoughts when I changed engines

October 26th, 2008, 4:36 pm #4

Has anyone exprianced an out of balanve converter on an AOD? My story is that I bought a V-8 pinto for a toy. It came with a strong 302 that had shakes at any crusing speed. Having not built the engine myself I thought it was an engine balance issue. I thought that being fluid filled the torque converter was a non issue. I bought a 86 5.0 roller engine and installed The vibration is still there tho at a different rpm range. I assume because of the different inbalance of the two engines. The converter is a higher stall of unknow brand. should I just change it out or look elsewhere BTW the vibration is present at free revs in park and is noticeable fearfully so at certain rpms.
Convertors are not balanced to the engine.

Look at the flex plate.

c bonecutter
c bonecutter

October 26th, 2008, 6:19 pm #5

I have the same result with two seperate flexplates one a 28 the othe a 50. could I have a bent or twised input shaft or a front pump going bad?

October 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm #6

If it were a bent input shaft or pump you would have had the PB&J out by this time because it would have been toast.

A warped flex plate is possible.
Did you check for any missing balance weights on the convertor?

c bonecutter
c bonecutter

October 26th, 2008, 7:23 pm #7

No i did not. The converter looked to be relativly new and all paint was intact, no bare metsl like something flew off. I was betting an out of blalance engine until it did it with the second engine and flexplate combination

John
John

November 2nd, 2008, 2:56 pm #8

Here is a pic I made of a 50oz vs 28oz. The 289, early 302 and all 351s have the same 28oz balance. these are AOD examples, your flex plate may be a smaller diameter. John

mick
mick

May 28th, 2012, 10:20 pm #9

If you look at your transmission you my see a rubber plug in the bottom of the bellhousing.
That means that the torque converter has a drain plug in it.
It also means that the converter must be timed to the flexplate. It may bolt on in any of the four holes, but only one will be the currect balance.
Easy to find the right way to mount. Look for the drain plug on the converter.
The converter is not internaly balanced and the drain plug must be mounted 180 degrees opposite the counter weight on the flexplate.

May 29th, 2012, 12:15 am #10

Mick the thread is almost 4 years old.