64 Falcon Sprint 2 spd automatic

64 Falcon Sprint 2 spd automatic

August 25th, 2011, 4:57 pm #1

I looked at a Falcon Sprint (with a 260 engine) for a friend and couple issues came up on the transmission.

The first issue is; the transmission seems to work well overall but has a very hard shift. As it warms up the up-shift becomes less noticeable but the downshift, when slowing, has a hard downshift to low at around 20 mph (cold or warmed up). This causes considerable shock to the drive-train. The owner said he wanted to have a shift kit installed (I didn't ask why) but was told there was no shift kit for it (I can understand that). The mechanic told him he could set it up to make it feel almost like it has a shift kit. My question is; what could he have done to make it do this and can it be reversed? If it can be reversed, is this a simple fix or will the trans have to be taken out to fix it?

The second issue is; once it shifts into high and the speed is above 25 mph or so, it will not automatically shift back down into low no matter how hard you step on the accelerator pedal. Is this 2 spd transmission supposed to have a kick-down linkage? Should it have a vacuum line going to it as part of the kick down feature? Accelerating at 25 mph in high is not very exhilarating to say the least. It can be shifted to low manually but I don't think this should be necessary.

I was told a C4 will bolt up to this 5 bolt bell housing if we wanted to convert it to a three speed. Is this true and what are the limitation and things to look out for? One thing I can think of is the shift indicator would be wrong and may present a problem.
Last edited by gwittman on August 25th, 2011, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2011, 6:05 pm #2

Trans-Go has a shift kit for the Ford 2spd.

Bottom of this page >>>http://www.transgo.com/sk_ford.php

Your shifting issues sound like KD linkage mis-adjustment, and/or, modulator vacuum problems.

The 2spd was produced with or with-out a modulator depending on year and application.

The 2spd with-out a modulator MUST have the KD linkage adjusted correctly or trans burnup is possible.
Last edited by galaxiex on August 25th, 2011, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2011, 9:24 pm #3

I looked at a Falcon Sprint (with a 260 engine) for a friend and couple issues came up on the transmission.

The first issue is; the transmission seems to work well overall but has a very hard shift. As it warms up the up-shift becomes less noticeable but the downshift, when slowing, has a hard downshift to low at around 20 mph (cold or warmed up). This causes considerable shock to the drive-train. The owner said he wanted to have a shift kit installed (I didn't ask why) but was told there was no shift kit for it (I can understand that). The mechanic told him he could set it up to make it feel almost like it has a shift kit. My question is; what could he have done to make it do this and can it be reversed? If it can be reversed, is this a simple fix or will the trans have to be taken out to fix it?

The second issue is; once it shifts into high and the speed is above 25 mph or so, it will not automatically shift back down into low no matter how hard you step on the accelerator pedal. Is this 2 spd transmission supposed to have a kick-down linkage? Should it have a vacuum line going to it as part of the kick down feature? Accelerating at 25 mph in high is not very exhilarating to say the least. It can be shifted to low manually but I don't think this should be necessary.

I was told a C4 will bolt up to this 5 bolt bell housing if we wanted to convert it to a three speed. Is this true and what are the limitation and things to look out for? One thing I can think of is the shift indicator would be wrong and may present a problem.
Yours being a 64 will have a modulator.
The modulator could have been adjusted to raise the shift points and produce a harder shift.

This could also prevent a normal downshift.

As for kickdown/passing gear, the kd needs to be adjusted properly for this to happen.

Being a two speed at 60mph and kick it into passing gear the pistons could be shaking hands.

August 25th, 2011, 11:15 pm #4

The transmission does not seem to have any serious problem and the issues apparently were done purposely to simulate a shift kit. The shift point does not seem to be raised because it shifts at a relatively low speed around 25 mph. The owner just shifted it manually all the time to get a higher speed shift point.

It sounds like the modulator may have been adjusted to get this effect and it sounds like that is reversible. I suspect the kick down linkage(cable?) has been disconnected also (or adjusted out far enough to not be effective) and that should be easily fixable if the components are still there. I suspect the vacuum to the modulator may not be connected also but that should be easy to fix.

Yes, I realize the low gear is low enough that it should not engage at highway speeds. It should, however, kick down at speed below 40 mph to help get that 260 get moving.

Any good references to anyone in the Orange Co., CA area that is familiar with these transmissions and would take a look to see what may be out of normal in this transmission and set it right? My friend has no problem paying for quality work. I can check out the kick down linkage and vacuum to the modulator but don't feel comfortable breaking into the trans.

August 26th, 2011, 6:30 am #5

If vacuum was not connected the shift would be terribly high, but it could be leaking and losing some.

August 26th, 2011, 4:57 pm #6

If the deal goes through on this car, I will be able to look at it in more detail.

My friend told me the owner said the guy that modified the transmission put some beads in it to make it shift harder. I don't know what that means. Is there a way to increase hydraulic pressure by putting a ball behind a spring of a pressure relief valve like what can be done in an engine? Could a ball or balls be put in a hydraulic galley to block it and make it shift harder?
Last edited by gwittman on August 26th, 2011, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.