Will there be less traders on ebay from now on?

DUDE!
Hat Trick Hero
DUDE!
Hat Trick Hero

June 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm #1

THE TAX MAN IS AFTER YOU!

from now on if you deliberately purchase match attax (or anything else for that matter) to make a profit on ebay and you do alot of it you may be getting a call from the tax man.

so i was wondering from next season if there will be fewer people selling match attax cards on ebay?

as i am only an occasional seller on ebay and never made a profit i am o.k. and if you declared all your earnings to HMRC you to will be alright

but i wonder if there are a few sellers who aren't looking forward to that brown envelope droping on their doormat?

well done the coalition government never mind the multi billion pound companies getting away with millions if not billions of pounds of tax every year pick on the poor man in the street trying to earn an extra few quid a week.

A LITTLE BIT OF POLITICS THERE YES INDEED..........

Phild
Masters Card
Phild
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 1:19 pm #2

Hopefully they will start making proper checks and the people making the extra few quid on the side without declaring their earnings will be held to account and made to pay tax on their additional income and if needed lose their benefits.

Heard it all before though and despite all the noises made it seems to be a case of unless someone directly reports an individual then its hard to prove anything.

MatchAttaxCam
Masters Card
MatchAttaxCam
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 1:21 pm #3

I highly doubt anything will drastically change tbh.
Wish list----------------------Feedback

Trusted Traders: matchattaxcrazy, Tankerton1, Turtle21, Booto67, sufcmilla, gt6943, Macky17g, turboboy94, MA!CCFC98, monkey76

ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition
ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition

June 23rd, 2012, 1:47 pm #4

From a legal standpoint, I believe eBay has always counted as a profession, be it for a few quid or for a business, and so it should be added to any other income and taxed accordingly. However, it doesn't really matter - it's a bit like a car boot sale and so tax is never taken too seriously on there. Of course there are some people like PhilD who try to take a moral high ground but in most cases the tax is so minute (if even applicable) it's not worth chasing. eBay fees are crazy anyway so perhaps if they wanted people to pay even more on tax they could reduce those so people actually COULD make a few quid rather than ending up with nothing.

Gareth Bale autographs now available!

llpalm08
Masters Card
llpalm08
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm #5

There will probably still be a good ammount on there as there are quite a few respectable buisness sellers on there but it might take a while for the ones looking for a bit extra without declaring to dissapear.

Phild
Masters Card
Phild
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 2:12 pm #6

ashleyyoungFTW wrote:From a legal standpoint, I believe eBay has always counted as a profession, be it for a few quid or for a business, and so it should be added to any other income and taxed accordingly. However, it doesn't really matter - it's a bit like a car boot sale and so tax is never taken too seriously on there. Of course there are some people like PhilD who try to take a moral high ground but in most cases the tax is so minute (if even applicable) it's not worth chasing. eBay fees are crazy anyway so perhaps if they wanted people to pay even more on tax they could reduce those so people actually COULD make a few quid rather than ending up with nothing.
Please explain your comment on how I try to take the moral high ground !!!

So you approve of tax avoidance by traders ?

ofb1988
Masters Card
ofb1988
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 2:33 pm #7

Have I missed an announcement ?

ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition
ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition

June 23rd, 2012, 2:38 pm #8

Phild wrote:
ashleyyoungFTW wrote:From a legal standpoint, I believe eBay has always counted as a profession, be it for a few quid or for a business, and so it should be added to any other income and taxed accordingly. However, it doesn't really matter - it's a bit like a car boot sale and so tax is never taken too seriously on there. Of course there are some people like PhilD who try to take a moral high ground but in most cases the tax is so minute (if even applicable) it's not worth chasing. eBay fees are crazy anyway so perhaps if they wanted people to pay even more on tax they could reduce those so people actually COULD make a few quid rather than ending up with nothing.

I wouldn't class someone selling off a spare thing they found in the loft for a few quid privately tax avoidance. Do you do car boot sales? If so, I do hope you declare everything you earn there...

Phild
Masters Card
Phild
Masters Card

June 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm #9

ashleyyoungFTW wrote:
Phild wrote:

I wouldn't class someone selling off a spare thing they found in the loft for a few quid privately tax avoidance. Do you do car boot sales? If so, I do hope you declare everything you earn there...
I think theres a big difference between someone selling spares and someone buying boxes/cases of cards to sell for profit don't you ? but you twist my comments how you wish, nothing unusual there.

And no I don't do car boot sales.

ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition
ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition

June 23rd, 2012, 3:17 pm #10

You're claiming that someone merely "making the extra few quid on the side" should have benefits removed, not just people who are "buying boxes/cases of cards to sell for profit". So for you surely there is no big difference?