KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
Joined: March 23rd, 2013, 4:07 pm

January 13th, 2014, 9:18 am #301

Portlaw wrote:
FootballCardsIN wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here. I've read a few comments questioning if the relics are match worn. The card clearly suggests at the back that- 'the memorabilia contained in this card is not from any specific, game event or season'. Either it isn't match worn, or they don't particularly know which match?
The word there is 'event'. An event could be a press conference, public event, any type of event or event signing like they did.

I have been very interested in the Villa cards and not a single Weimann or Tonev card has included the premier league badge which leads me to believe they are event worn. I think this as both the Guzan and Benteke do contain the premier league badge so were more than likely used in a premier league game around the time topps obtained the auto's.
Let's not be naive here. When the card says "The memorabilia contained in this card is/are not from any specific game, event or season" it basically means that the player has most probably never actually worn the shirt which has been used for the card. If the piece of memorabilia would come from a game worn shirt (even event worn shirt), the card would clearly indicate that as it makes the card (and set) more interesting for collectors.
People might feel bad about it, but this is how all card manufacturers have been working for many years (mainly in other sports sets). If this is important for you and it makes a difference in the amount of money you want to spend, you should check this carefully before you buy. It's the same thing as checking whether an autograph is on card or sticker, if that matters to you.

For me, it is quite simple:
If you are after an authentic piece of memorabilia, you should stay far away from this set.
For card collectors, on the other hand, I don't think it matters too much if the memorabilia are genuine or not. The cards are special and some are unique, and that is what matters for them. If you would look at for example NBA card sets, you would see that cards with game worn mem have a higher price than cards with non-game worn mem. If there were more high end football card sets, I am sure you would see the same thing. Now there is only one real premium set out there and prices paid are therefore very high, no matter if the memorabilia are game worn or not.
Quote
Like
Share

ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition
ashleyyoungFTW
Limited Edition
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 1:16 pm

January 13th, 2014, 2:18 pm #302

Portlaw wrote:
ashleyyoungFTW wrote:I still don't quite understand the hype around a little cutting of shirt. I still think it would have been better to do a redemption for actual shirts?

Although by that logic, I could take one of the match worn shirts in my collection, cut it into a few hundred s***Censored***s and sell them for a fortune
That can be said about anything. What's the hype of having someone scribble their name on a card? Whats the big hype of having match attax cards they are just cards with numbers?

To me it's that it represents the club and player, if it was just of any random shirt or top the player wore I couldn't care less but it's that it's of a villa jersey, same when you collect match attax or whatever what good would it be to have a player in the clothes they wear in their private life?

And they are part of a licensed set, a Ronaldo jersey card with a piece of United crest would sell for more than the majority of full match worn jerseys of most players so I the logic of that may work, if you get your shirt into a licensed set
I fully get your point about that, but it wasn't really that idea that I was going on about. My main confusion about it is why cut it up when you could just give someone a whole shirt? Not quite sure what you mean about "private life" clothes - when I said actual shirts I meant as in the matchworn shirts whole rather than cut up.

Match worn shirts aren't really that expensive so I'm sure Topps could have been able to afford 4 or 5 of each player rather than one and cutting it up into smaller bits?

Gareth Bale autographs now available!
Quote
Like
Share

wille9
Player of the Month
wille9
Player of the Month
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 11:18 am

January 13th, 2014, 3:59 pm #303

Anyone on the forum that sell base cards? Please PM
My feedback page:http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Card ... 7127107/1/
My wishlist:http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Card ... 107/1/#new
I COLLECT CHELSEA CARDS AND STICKERS. IF YOU HAVE ANY PLEASE PM ME
Quote
Like
Share

MatchAttaxMaster101
Masters Card
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 4:36 pm

January 13th, 2014, 4:48 pm #304

ashleyyoungFTW wrote:
Portlaw wrote:
ashleyyoungFTW wrote:I still don't quite understand the hype around a little cutting of shirt. I still think it would have been better to do a redemption for actual shirts?

Although by that logic, I could take one of the match worn shirts in my collection, cut it into a few hundred s***Censored***s and sell them for a fortune
That can be said about anything. What's the hype of having someone scribble their name on a card? Whats the big hype of having match attax cards they are just cards with numbers?

To me it's that it represents the club and player, if it was just of any random shirt or top the player wore I couldn't care less but it's that it's of a villa jersey, same when you collect match attax or whatever what good would it be to have a player in the clothes they wear in their private life?

And they are part of a licensed set, a Ronaldo jersey card with a piece of United crest would sell for more than the majority of full match worn jerseys of most players so I the logic of that may work, if you get your shirt into a licensed set
I fully get your point about that, but it wasn't really that idea that I was going on about. My main confusion about it is why cut it up when you could just give someone a whole shirt? Not quite sure what you mean about "private life" clothes - when I said actual shirts I meant as in the matchworn shirts whole rather than cut up.

Match worn shirts aren't really that expensive so I'm sure Topps could have been able to afford 4 or 5 of each player rather than one and cutting it up into smaller bits?
Maybe there could be multiple selections of the kit... to incorporate your idea maybe a badge patch, along with some blank patch and possibly part of a letter from the back of the kit maybe? Of course they couldn't do this with all cards, but for some, and it could bump up it's ridiculously inaccurate sale value. I still don't see the point so about the fact that crest is worth more than the entire else of the kit, by he way I meant that I agree with you but I don't see why it happens, its truly illogical.

And some people do like to collect Match Attax cards, it is a hobby and there is as much reason to collection them as there is to collect any other set, including these PremierLeague Premiums. But I do agree with you on that note, it seems pointkess yet people still do it. 'People' including me by the way, so I should shut up.
But to be generally honest, I would rather collect cards than these autos and so called 's***Censored***s'. Much quicker, and cheaper, but the magic isn't really there about Match Attax, I would definetly purchase a once in a lifetime auto or 's***Censored***' than just go to my local Co-Op and buy 40 card trading cards.

And yeah it would be a great idea to just make a massive card with an entire kit on, but in my opinion that's kind of pushing it a bit.
It's a great set, but the way they do it ( make the cards to have a 2cm by 2cm s***Censored*** of kit, yes just kit, nothing special such as a letter or a badge or even an authenticity of the kit badge... actually that would be a decent idea, at least it proves te authenticity of the kit! ), is questionable. But really what can you expect from Topps. I would have loved of of Panini had had a crack at this, and hopefully, maybe with the Prizm set this upcoming summer. Anyway, I should really stop going off topic.

As I said in the brackets in the previous paragraph, you could question the authenticity of the kits, but that's another post!
Quote
Like
Share

Dorking
101 Card
Dorking
101 Card
Joined: December 30th, 2013, 9:37 pm

January 13th, 2014, 5:28 pm #305

Love the way you can't say s c r a p s because of the 4 letter word in the middle
Quote
Like
Share