Help us choose players for an upcoming football card game and win a free deck!

May 6th, 2016, 11:04 am #1

Hi guys :D, I'm Matt from Foxwood Collective. We're a small design studio in London and we'll be launching a fun football card game called Scrimmage!

The game is aimed for 2-4 players, featuring skills, tactics and luck ... just like a real football match! The aim is to outscore and outsmart your opposition and use all the tricks in the book!

Scrimmage will feature more than 100 player cards, inspired by the players representing their countries on Euro 2016 and we would love to hear your suggestions which players to include and what nicknames to give them! The best 3 suggestions in this topic will win their own free deck of Scrimmage cards.

Scrimmage is scheduled to go live on Kickstarter on May 26th. This is also the date until we're open to your suggestions. You can find more info on www.scrimmagecards.com

Zabolek
Limited Edition
Zabolek
Limited Edition

May 7th, 2016, 9:41 am #2

Really interesting concept; I will read more about it when I have some free time, but I like the idea, and the design looks really gorgeous.

In terms of players, the first that comes to mind would be Thomas Muller, who has to be nicknamed the Raumdeuter, or the Space interpreter, but I will give more thoughts about it and come with other ideas later.

Good luck with this project, Matt and your team! :cheers

robjones1973
101 Card

May 14th, 2016, 5:26 pm #3

Jack Wilshire - The Sicknote.

bibster
Masters Card
bibster
Masters Card

May 14th, 2016, 6:46 pm #4

Players to include:

England

Kane
Hart
Vardy
Alli

Wales

Bale
Vokes
Williams

Germany
Ozil
Neuer

Sweden
Zlatan

These are players I would like to see. Not sure on nicknames for all of them but for Bale I would say Welsh Wizard and Speedy Gonzalez for Vardy!
Player Collections - David Beckham, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Steven Fletcher, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin, Leighton Baines, David Jones, Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Danny Ings

My Online Player Collection Album

bibster
Masters Card
bibster
Masters Card

May 14th, 2016, 8:41 pm #5

Also 'The Hurrikane' for Kane.
Player Collections - David Beckham, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Steven Fletcher, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin, Leighton Baines, David Jones, Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Danny Ings

My Online Player Collection Album

robjones1973
101 Card

May 15th, 2016, 4:31 pm #6

Manuel Neuer - The Sweeper Keeper.

hollywood
Man of the Match
hollywood
Man of the Match

May 15th, 2016, 7:31 pm #7

Steven Davis - Mr Dependable (and he proved it again today!!).

JackW
100 Club
JackW
100 Club

May 15th, 2016, 8:31 pm #8

I assume you will just be using the nicknames for players...you would have to get the rights to the players and I don't the either the agents, clubs, leagues or indeed the players would allow you to use any of their details without paying a big amount of money for it
I assume though that you can create cards with anonymous players who can be associated with certain things but not directly using a name
How merchandisable a product like that would be I don't know
But it will depend how you merchandise it....I wouldn't use Topps' PR/ advertising people as they seem to be doing very little....other than pumping things out through the MOTD magazine.....whereas Panini have been running huge add compaigns on TV for the Euro 2016 cards and stickers....and giving away 3 million sticker albums seems to have opened a gold mine for them!
I don't mean to put a downer or negative on the idea because I think something different like this could work....it just might take a LOT of money....unless you can get someone like Topps or Panini on board to back the idea
Check Out Our Match Attax 2014-15 binder.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmVncxNFLY

Zabolek
Limited Edition
Zabolek
Limited Edition

May 16th, 2016, 9:56 am #9

It's harder to come with nicknames than I thought...

A couple I have been thinking about:
- Andrea Pirlo, the metronome
- for Zlatan, the black belt
- Paul Pogba, the octopus
- Eden Hazard, the duke...

May 19th, 2016, 10:50 am #10

Thanks for all the great responses, really appreciate it. We've decided our campaign will be in the time of EURO (10 June - 10 July), so all of your suggestions are welcomed until June 10th.

@JackW, you're spot on with your comment! Using names and images does involve paying the rights to their owners however we deliberately decided to take a different approach in the overall card design and player names to add a bit of mystery and enjoyment when discovering the players who served as inspiration.
You're right, challenging the big boys does involve a lot of marketing expense but we're doing it as one of our fun little projects. We'd be more than happy if the cards get funded on Kickstarter. Any bigger success would be bonus.