Dorking
101 Card
Dorking
101 Card

January 12th, 2014, 3:01 pm #21

Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.

Portlaw
Masters Card
Portlaw
Masters Card

January 12th, 2014, 5:01 pm #22

Dorking wrote:Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.
There are very few serious collectors of any team apart from the big ones. Any team that is not part of the big 4 or 5 will have limited collectors. Unless your team has a player that people would have a player collection of then the rarer cards should be reasonably easy and cheap to collect
My Aston Villa Collection: Picasa Web Aston Villa Album

harrodjon
101 Card
harrodjon
101 Card

January 12th, 2014, 6:45 pm #23

Out of interest. Are people here more likely to just pick up the single cards they want? Or to buy a pack of 5 cards for over £20 in the hope they'll either get what they want or a super rare hit?
I ask this because I've been really surprised by the number of packs of cards I've sold since launch. I was expecting the high price to put a lot of people off. Even tho it is a premium product
Check out our store for more than just football cards - Collectabubble

Dorking
101 Card
Dorking
101 Card

January 12th, 2014, 7:01 pm #24

Personally I'm just choosing the ones I want individually off ebay, as I literally only want Palace ones, so 19 out of every 20 cards are of no interest to be honest.

I've always been the same with every sticker album and card collection for the last 20 years or so - buy the album and just send off for all the numbers I want!! (When I was a kid I did collect via spending all my pocket money on packets and packets of Mexico '86 stickers though)

Fully respect proper collectors though - luckily for the hobby I represent the minority otherwise it'd be unsustainable.

Dorking
101 Card
Dorking
101 Card

January 12th, 2014, 7:50 pm #25

Portlaw wrote: Guzan (defabet patch and yellow jersey), Benteke (premier league patch and blue jersey), Weimann (macroon symbol on shoulder and claret jersey), Tonev (number patch and claret jersey).
There are definitely some patches which are miles more 'interesting' than others. I've seen loads of Jumbo relics where it's just a slab of one colour. I feel the Jumbo ones should all have had a section with a bit of lettering, numbering or a bit sleeve patch.

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero

January 13th, 2014, 9:39 am #26

bibster wrote:Just to add my 2p's worth...

I really feel for the sellers in the UK over this release. The fact that the prices they have bought at, mean that they have to charge £25 a pack, or higher prices for inserts/hits if the packs are opened, is ludicrous. And saying that they could have pre ordered through American stockists cheaper is not a valid argument - customs charges are horrendous as I have found out before ordering 1 box (not 1 case) of Upper Deck MLS.

The collection is of the Premier League, based in the UK. Yet the American market get this product at a cheaper price. And although there are some big fans of the Premier League in America, the number of videos I have watched where this product has been open and I have heard comments such as 'he plays for Samsung' or 'Peter Crouch - he is a goalkeeper' just winds me up. Why would people open boxes and boxes of the stuff when they don't know the players or who they play for?? A wasted opportunity for Topps to make this a big collection in the UK in my opinion.

On the upside of a lot of American dealers having no interest or knowledge of the players, has meant that I have picked up some decent cards really cheap. So I suppose every cloud...
Basically it's the same thing as with the limited Aguero Match Attax card that could only be acquired in the UK when you subscribed to a magazine (and spent quite some money), only to be given away almost for free in Hungary a few months later (please correct me if I have some facts wrong here). It is not fair and Topps are guilty of organizing it this way for their own benefit, while laughing in the face of collectors.

If Topps cares about collectors, either they should release it at more or the less the same price in every country, either they should just limit the release to one country after which the rest of the world can order boxes from there. I would have understood it if this set was only released in the US, as this is a Topps America product (as far as I understood). Customs charges will always be a pain in the ass but I am afraid that's how things work if you buy stuff from other countries. And you can task the risk of trying to avoid them...

paradogs77
Masters Card
paradogs77
Masters Card

January 13th, 2014, 4:18 pm #27

Interesting Topic!
I did not order any packs since I only need 2 Players from this collection:
Mesut Özil & Lukas Podolski.

I am going for all Variations (/99 green & /11 Organge & /1 Platinum & /1Gold), not too sure about the plates.

If somebody sees any Orange or 1/1 of these Players, please let me know. Thanks!
WANTED: Messi
SELLING: PLAYER COLLECTIONS, TEAM LOTS, SINGLES.... http://picasaweb.google.com/paradogs77/
Feedback / Trade List / Wish List

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero

January 16th, 2014, 4:30 am #28

paradogs77 wrote:Interesting Topic!
I did not order any packs since I only need 2 Players from this collection:
Mesut Özil & Lukas Podolski.

I am going for all Variations (/99 green & /11 Organge & /1 Platinum & /1Gold), not too sure about the plates.

If somebody sees any Orange or 1/1 of these Players, please let me know. Thanks!
Mesut Ozil Base Premier Gold 1/1 has popped up in Japan: link.

Dorking
101 Card
Dorking
101 Card

January 16th, 2014, 10:28 am #29

Can I just say that now I've got one 'in the flesh', I am slightly 'underwhelmed' by the shiny effect on the platinum 1/1 cards. I actually think the orange effect is more attractive than the rather ordinary looking pale blue tone of the platinum cards.

rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero
rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero

January 16th, 2014, 11:52 am #30

Really interesting to hear the different way people are collecting the set! Agree with dvsgooner that there's something annoying about having 1/1 cards as it makes it impossible to get a complete set if that's what you are aiming for.

It's interesting seeing what things are going for on ebay and trying to work out what is good value and what isn't - by the sound of it the RRP per card is £5, but how you work down from that for base cards and up for the rarer ones seems to be very random at the mo!

It's also making ebay a bit more interesting - I tend to generally use buy it now on the site and the Panini / Topps UK stuff is easy to get at a reasonable price, but with this set I'm having to do more last minute bids and making sure I don't bid more than I should in the heat of the auction!
Wanted:

Merlin Ireland 2002 / Kevin Kilbane mini sticker (Walkers)

Topps Total Football 2009 / SHSS 394 - Kenwyne Jones / Sunderland redemption card

Panini Jeans Fussball 1977 / Sunderland badge

Quadriga Soccer Stars 83 - 84 / 221 Colin West, 222 Leighton James