Are Ltd editions a rip-off?

Dommod
Fans Favourite
Dommod
Fans Favourite

June 9th, 2012, 8:34 am #1

Reading all these threads about the various ltd's on the forums, I am thinking that for the Euro's there are far too many and some are so ridiculous/difficult to get hold off that realistically most child collectors (primary target market) will never be able to get hold of them. Basically you either have to spend ridiculous money on eBay or buy hundreds of packs one from particular supplier to have a chance of getting one of these cards. The whole point of a collection is that you should be able to buy and/or swap most cards so that a child can get the full collection.

With the current collection unless you sound silly money, which also goes against the spirit of collecting, your child will never get hold of cards such as Joe hart, Ashley Cole, Ashley young ltd and this something I think Topps should look at. Basically the ltd are a way of screwing more money out of kids and mean that you can never get a full set. Also it encourages dodgy profiteering on sites such eBay. The ability to buy cards such as MOTM, 100's after the tournament for reasonable prices is a good service from Topps, but the proliferation of Ltd's is turning into a real racket and goes against the whole point of collecting.

hattersfan
Masters Card
hattersfan
Masters Card

June 9th, 2012, 9:07 am #2

Personally, I see Limiteds as part of the set so I will spend money to complete them. However if you dont to spend lots of money then simply complete the base, star players, motms and HCs. And dont regard the limiteds as part of the set. I feel the limiteds are what make the set fun to collect.
My feedback page

Awards:

Match Attax London Champion 2012
Match Attax Manchester Npower Championship tournament winner 2013
Match Attax London Over 14's 'tournament' winner 2014

Luton Till I Die!

Trusted Traders

l1sboa, spurs. attax and many more.

Bad Traders

arsenal9126
MIKADOO123 (sent me two things about 2 years ago, did not get either of them.)

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."Brian Clough.

macky17g
100 Club
macky17g
100 Club

June 9th, 2012, 9:40 am #3

i wouldnt say the are a rip off, just more valuable as there are less of them then the average cards in the sets, and its more exciting searching for the limiteds, i think people who dont collect cards may see them as a rip off lol

fredlynch
101 Card
fredlynch
101 Card

June 9th, 2012, 10:05 am #4

Dommod wrote:Reading all these threads about the various ltd's on the forums, I am thinking that for the Euro's there are far too many and some are so ridiculous/difficult to get hold off that realistically most child collectors (primary target market) will never be able to get hold of them. Basically you either have to spend ridiculous money on eBay or buy hundreds of packs one from particular supplier to have a chance of getting one of these cards. The whole point of a collection is that you should be able to buy and/or swap most cards so that a child can get the full collection.

With the current collection unless you sound silly money, which also goes against the spirit of collecting, your child will never get hold of cards such as Joe hart, Ashley Cole, Ashley young ltd and this something I think Topps should look at. Basically the ltd are a way of screwing more money out of kids and mean that you can never get a full set. Also it encourages dodgy profiteering on sites such eBay. The ability to buy cards such as MOTM, 100's after the tournament for reasonable prices is a good service from Topps, but the proliferation of Ltd's is turning into a real racket and goes against the whole point of collecting.
As previous posts have said, if you don't feel that the Limited Edition cards are worth collecting, then just stick to the normal set. Personally I will always try to complete the LE's but I admit that some (like Hart, Young and Cole) are difficult and possibly expensive.

If you take the Euro 2012 Match Attax set, on the face of it 15 limited editions are almost impossible to obtain, but using eBay you should be able to get most of the cards for under £10. (I bought Young LE for £10)

Finally, collecting the Limited Edition Cards can seem expensive at the time, but wait 2 years and some are financially rewarding. You just have to look at the prices of Gallas Limited Edition and Milner LE, and how they have shot up recently. I bought a card in 2010 for £6.50 that is now worth somewhere between £45 and £60!

In summary, don't feel you have to collect Limited Edition Cards to complete the set, but I would strongly recommend collecting them as you can make money and also feel like you have completed a greater challenge than just the base and the other 'shiny' cards.

jayce101
Masters Card
jayce101
Masters Card

June 9th, 2012, 10:51 am #5

It is the limiteds that make collecting fun as i try to set myself a limit per card and never go over it
Take the current euro 2012 panini limiteds
there are 49 and i have about 40+ and have not paid more than £3 for each one
I have done some excellent trades with people for some and dont use ebay unless it is a real bargain
Collecting a set of cards is easy but collecting a set with limiteds takes longer and can be a lot more fun

alanaman
Limited Edition
alanaman
Limited Edition

June 9th, 2012, 11:57 am #6

Also we have to remember that living in the UK we have access to all the limiteds and the shops/magazines which stock them. If you think its difficult for us then spare a thought for the collectors from other countries who have no option but to buy them on ebay.
I agree with the rest of them, the limiteds make it fun to collect, with the worldwide appeal of the euros Topps have gone to town with the store exclusives but under normal circumstances there are no more than two. This makes it slightly easier.
In my opinion you should buy a box from the retailer with the exclusive, that will give you two limiteds, one to trade for the other rare store exclusive or go halves with a mate on a box and take one limited each. For the 11 12 extra I bought a tesco box and my mate bought a mccolls box so we got a modric and sturridge each and with selling the doubles we pulled back almost half of our money so got the full set with both rare limiteds for just over £50

jayce101
Masters Card
jayce101
Masters Card

June 9th, 2012, 12:18 pm #7

alanaman wrote:Also we have to remember that living in the UK we have access to all the limiteds and the shops/magazines which stock them. If you think its difficult for us then spare a thought for the collectors from other countries who have no option but to buy them on ebay.
I agree with the rest of them, the limiteds make it fun to collect, with the worldwide appeal of the euros Topps have gone to town with the store exclusives but under normal circumstances there are no more than two. This makes it slightly easier.
In my opinion you should buy a box from the retailer with the exclusive, that will give you two limiteds, one to trade for the other rare store exclusive or go halves with a mate on a box and take one limited each. For the 11 12 extra I bought a tesco box and my mate bought a mccolls box so we got a modric and sturridge each and with selling the doubles we pulled back almost half of our money so got the full set with both rare limiteds for just over £50
Exactly
it is a lot easier to get all the topps LES for one set than Panini

llpalm08
Masters Card
llpalm08
Masters Card

June 9th, 2012, 12:40 pm #8

Limiteds arent technicly part of the set in the same way the tins aren't but they make collecting the set allot more fun and are a nice addition. I would personally say that the Panini LE's are a slight bit of a rip off as you have to get a load of collector binders just to be able to get most of them so you end up with loads of empty binders whereas with Match Attax you end up with loads of swaps so you would then be able to trade for cards you need and you could even trade enough of the swaps for the limiteds you are missing.

Dommod
Fans Favourite
Dommod
Fans Favourite

June 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm #9

Thanks, all some very interesting comments and as with most things everyones opinion is valid. I suspect however that some of you are not seeing this from the perspective of a nine year old boy (my son and all his mates) who as many kids have no chance of completing the collection because they do not have the money to buy a whole box(!) or pay silly prices on ebay. They see Topps marketing the LE's through kids magazines MOTD but are not in a position to get these cards. At least with 100 clubs etc there is a chance of getting one in a pack which is how kids buy the cards.

I think the current LE marketing and supply with the the euro's has got out of hand with so many tie in deals a cynical ploy by Topps to get as much money for what is essentially a kids hobby, same goes for those flogging them for exorbitant prices on eBay. Kids don't also collect them to make money on in the future, they do it because they love football and love collecting. It's pity that you can't collect all the LE's but just neeed access to pots of cash. Where's the moral in that?

hattersfan
Masters Card
hattersfan
Masters Card

June 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm #10

Dommod wrote:Thanks, all some very interesting comments and as with most things everyones opinion is valid. I suspect however that some of you are not seeing this from the perspective of a nine year old boy (my son and all his mates) who as many kids have no chance of completing the collection because they do not have the money to buy a whole box(!) or pay silly prices on ebay. They see Topps marketing the LE's through kids magazines MOTD but are not in a position to get these cards. At least with 100 clubs etc there is a chance of getting one in a pack which is how kids buy the cards.

I think the current LE marketing and supply with the the euro's has got out of hand with so many tie in deals a cynical ploy by Topps to get as much money for what is essentially a kids hobby, same goes for those flogging them for exorbitant prices on eBay. Kids don't also collect them to make money on in the future, they do it because they love football and love collecting. It's pity that you can't collect all the LE's but just neeed access to pots of cash. Where's the moral in that?
You would have to be a pretty poor kid not to be able to afford a copy of MOTD magazine!

And I dont think it is at all a plot to make money. Having spent time with some Topps employees, you can tell that they do like the cards and do like to hear from collectors, that is partly why there are very few LEs for the normal MA set.
My feedback page

Awards:

Match Attax London Champion 2012
Match Attax Manchester Npower Championship tournament winner 2013
Match Attax London Over 14's 'tournament' winner 2014

Luton Till I Die!

Trusted Traders

l1sboa, spurs. attax and many more.

Bad Traders

arsenal9126
MIKADOO123 (sent me two things about 2 years ago, did not get either of them.)

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."Brian Clough.