Wooden Window Screens

Wooden Window Screens

June 5th, 2007, 12:45 am #1

We're finally getting around to replacing screens damaged during The Thing and decided to go with wood in at attempt to "bring back" the old house to what it originally was. I've searched the web for old or reproduction window screen hardware but all I find is regular looking stuff. Anybody have a clue where I might find old/reproduction window screen hardware?

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums

June 5th, 2007, 1:13 am #2

where you found your doorbell?

June 5th, 2007, 1:16 am #3

I love strolling through Ricca's and yeah, I thought of them but I've heard from several people that "they are really expensive". 

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

June 5th, 2007, 1:20 am #4

hardware are you looking to find?

June 5th, 2007, 1:38 am #5

The one next door (a real beauty -- it's said to have been "the Red Cross House during the war" -- which war, I'm not sure but it possibly could have been WWI judging by the style of the house) has some nice decorative "hangers" on the exterior top sections of the window frames.  The screens there are long gone so I don't know what the part that hung on the "hangers" (the part attached to the screen) looked like.

And then there's the hardware that fits on the interior window-sill that locks the screen in place.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

June 5th, 2007, 6:17 am #6

We're finally getting around to replacing screens damaged during The Thing and decided to go with wood in at attempt to "bring back" the old house to what it originally was. I've searched the web for old or reproduction window screen hardware but all I find is regular looking stuff. Anybody have a clue where I might find old/reproduction window screen hardware?

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
let me know. I need to do the same thing.

Do you have one piece to know what it looks like?

If you do, please post it & I will look for it when I go & look for what I am looking for.

Isabella

June 5th, 2007, 12:13 pm #7

pick up a lot of that stuff at Carrolton Wrecking, I think was the name, on Earhart Blvd. Maybe ain't dere no mo.

June 5th, 2007, 2:45 pm #8

is still dere. Good call, PIL. It's on my commute so I see it twice a day. I don't see it when it's open, but it seems to be in good shape and showing signs that there is probably some activity during normal bidniz hours.

June 5th, 2007, 4:01 pm #9

Anudda long cut lanmawk, Chawlz! Wuddin't dis place run by Peter Ricca once or maybe still is? I remember retired NOPD Detective Alvin "Poo Poo" Puderer was one of the Ricca son-in-laws worked there.

June 6th, 2007, 3:42 am #10

Thanks for the heads-up, Chawls.

Speaking of Ear-HAWT & Leonidas, I fell INTO Ear-Hawt Blvd. there when I was a kid.  It was down Leonidas from where we lived.  "They" were doing some road or pipe work and my brother and I wandered down there to take a look.  I was throwing rocks into a big hole when I slid in.  This was during the late 1950's when Rosie's snow ball stand (might'a been a grocery, too) was in the neighborhood.