While I am on the subject........

While I am on the subject........

May 11th, 2004, 1:32 am #1

Of music, I would like to know if anyone out there has knowledge of percussion instruments. I have done many searches on the internet and maybe I am not very good at it, but I love percussion and would like to purchase some bongos etc. I went to a music store the other day looking for a percussion section. I found it and was like a speechless child. I asked the gentleman for information and did not receive much. I grew up with music and first learned the piano from my mother who taught herself by ear. I later took piano lessons and do believe that the piano is the root for learning most instruments. I am very musically inclined and just want to play around with beats. I have over 2000 CD's and I learn the piano portion to songs I love by repeating it on my CD player....then I write the notes.

Any help with info on percussion instruments (contacts, teachers, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

May 11th, 2004, 1:43 am #2

try pawn shops. They have lots of instruments, but NOT always at great prices. I found this out when shopping for a drum for my son.

May 11th, 2004, 1:45 am #3

I love drums also. When I was a yoot, I used to ask my mom and dad for drums. My dad wanted to buy them for me and my mom would say "Tony, it is a passing phase".

May 11th, 2004, 1:52 am #4

but played the guitar and a little piano--it's been years...

May 11th, 2004, 2:03 am #5

do you ever have the urge to "play" again?

I would guess that you were very focused on the instruments that you played.

May 11th, 2004, 2:17 am #6

When my son was younger, I picked up the old quitar, showed him a few things, and passed it on to him. He loved it and didn't allow me much time to use it again.

I loved playing the guitar and learned it easily during the Beatles craze. I didn't have any trouble learning the basics of piano but hated lessons. As for practice, the piano was in our very small living room so I was supposed to practice after school (when no one else in the family was in there). I didn't want to practice then--I wanted to play outside. Besides all that, it seemed to me that it would take "forever" to finally start playing "good stuff". I lost interest in the piano by the time I was a teenager (too many other fun things to do besides practice and take lessons).

LakeviewGal
LakeviewGal

May 11th, 2004, 3:57 am #7

Of music, I would like to know if anyone out there has knowledge of percussion instruments. I have done many searches on the internet and maybe I am not very good at it, but I love percussion and would like to purchase some bongos etc. I went to a music store the other day looking for a percussion section. I found it and was like a speechless child. I asked the gentleman for information and did not receive much. I grew up with music and first learned the piano from my mother who taught herself by ear. I later took piano lessons and do believe that the piano is the root for learning most instruments. I am very musically inclined and just want to play around with beats. I have over 2000 CD's and I learn the piano portion to songs I love by repeating it on my CD player....then I write the notes.

Any help with info on percussion instruments (contacts, teachers, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
...who has a drum shop, is a terrific percussionist himself, and could certainly steer you in the right direction. The shop is in Kenner and it's called "Fransen's".

May 11th, 2004, 4:07 am #8

The former music teacher at our school recommended Fransen's when I was in the market to buy my son his first electric guitar. Nice shop with very friendly and helpful service at 2013 Williams Blvd. (now I'm wondering who "Williams" was).

LakeviewGal
LakeviewGal

May 11th, 2004, 4:11 am #9

...and he's a very bright, extremely funny guy.

LakeviewGal
LakeviewGal

May 11th, 2004, 4:15 am #10

The former music teacher at our school recommended Fransen's when I was in the market to buy my son his first electric guitar. Nice shop with very friendly and helpful service at 2013 Williams Blvd. (now I'm wondering who "Williams" was).
...who was one of the "crowd" when I was there has also done well for himself in that he seems to have become "Mr. Mardi Gras" - Arthur Hardy. He was a trombone major when we were at Loyola. That's going back many more years than I care to admit to!