Two birthday present books.

Two birthday present books.

October 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm #1

The Bayous of Louisiana (1943) by Harnett T. Kane and Vanishing Louisiana (1977) by Norman C. Ferachi and Sue L. Eakin.

October 18th, 2007, 2:44 am #2

Harnett Kane wrote the greatest book ever on the history of Natchez which is where I grew up. We constantly refer to it to get our facts straight about people and places. That book and my mother's old city directories are some of our prized possessions! (Obviously doesn't take much to make us happy) Let me know if he did a good job on Louisiana bayous when you finish it.

October 18th, 2007, 8:20 am #3

I haven't started it yet, but it's in the to read pile and will let you know when I finish it.

October 18th, 2007, 8:36 am #4

Harnett Kane wrote the greatest book ever on the history of Natchez which is where I grew up. We constantly refer to it to get our facts straight about people and places. That book and my mother's old city directories are some of our prized possessions! (Obviously doesn't take much to make us happy) Let me know if he did a good job on Louisiana bayous when you finish it.
Our teacher, Mr. Popham, was older than Methuselah and knew all sorts of interesting and "important" people. Phil Johnson (WWL TV) spoke to us once and told us that he wasn't actually writing anything at the end of his editorials -- he just didn't want to stare into the camera during those final moments. Harnett Kane came to class one day and I don't remember anything that was said but we laughed at the name (kids can be so stupid) and my mother was very impressed to hear about that visit.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums

October 26th, 2007, 3:06 am #5

The Bayous of Louisiana (1943) by Harnett T. Kane and Vanishing Louisiana (1977) by Norman C. Ferachi and Sue L. Eakin.

I have a few of his on my shelf now for the "to read" pile. One is THE GOLDEN COAST and has some good pictures. Gotta get to it soon.

"Watermelon - it's a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face."
-Enrico Caruso-

October 26th, 2007, 5:58 pm #6

Thanks, Reetsie. You just reminded me that I have a copy of that book myself. In addition to Kane's documentation of the Coast, the book is illustrated with James Ricau's beautiful black and white photography. I was looking in the dust jacket and see that the book originally (1959) sold for $5 and was marked down to $1.98. Try to get a hard cover book for them beans nowadays!