To Mrs Fury - a basil question

To Mrs Fury - a basil question

March 21st, 2008, 9:17 pm #1

Mrs F, after seeing your success at growing basil to have fresh on hand for cooking, I am going to try my hand at it again. What variety do you buy, and do you plant it in pots or directly in the ground? Is there anything specific I should be aware of?

Anyone else that grows it, please chime in!

PS - I just bought some creole tomato plants to try as well. Hope I have success!

March 21st, 2008, 9:57 pm #2

I like sweet basil. My one in the ground got lots of sun and was huge. The one in a pot never really took off & stayed small. I didn't do anything special, just clipped it often. I looked for herb plants today at Jefferson Feed but there were none. Tomorrow I'm going to check Home Depot. Good luck with your garden, IM!

March 21st, 2008, 9:59 pm #3

Mrs F, after seeing your success at growing basil to have fresh on hand for cooking, I am going to try my hand at it again. What variety do you buy, and do you plant it in pots or directly in the ground? Is there anything specific I should be aware of?

PS - I just bought some creole tomato plants to try as well. Hope I have success!
Mrs. Fury and I were just discussing this on Sunday.  I plant mine in the ground and it takes over like crazy - two four-inch pots expand to a bush easily a yard wide.  (I am so impressed with my use of the imperial measuring system!  I didn't even think in cm and m!)  She was telling me about her trial with Thai basil, but I think she is going a different route this year.  One thing with basil - you need to be vigilant in picking off the flowers as they appear.   Otherwise the whole thing goes to seed.

March 21st, 2008, 10:28 pm #4

and bring it in during the winter months. Yep pluck the flower buds before blooming.

March 22nd, 2008, 1:08 am #5

Mrs. Fury and I were just discussing this on Sunday.  I plant mine in the ground and it takes over like crazy - two four-inch pots expand to a bush easily a yard wide.  (I am so impressed with my use of the imperial measuring system!  I didn't even think in cm and m!)  She was telling me about her trial with Thai basil, but I think she is going a different route this year.  One thing with basil - you need to be vigilant in picking off the flowers as they appear.   Otherwise the whole thing goes to seed.
between the sweet and Thai varieties?

My problem is that I have a very shady yard, so I had hoped to do pots so that I could place them in the few spots of full sun that I have. I may try planting some in some of my beds around the pool and see how it does.

March 23rd, 2008, 1:17 am #6

Gotta clip those flowers. I got my sweet basil today as well as Italian Parsley and a "salad pepper" plant. They are all in the ground. I'm gonna take Misriv's advice and pull them up to bring inside before next winter.