The New Orleans Bee

The New Orleans Bee

October 26th, 2007, 7:42 pm #1

Issues of the New Orleans Bee are accessible from the Jefferson Parish Library through their website http://www.jefferson.lib.la.us/genealog ... eeMain.htm

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader and be able to read French.

October 27th, 2007, 2:37 am #2

I was excited when I first found the Bee online at the JPPL website but since I can't read French I was SOL. At the J.P. East Bank Regional Library there are microfilms of the Times-Picayune going back to just about forever but they're only catalogued by date, which makes it very difficult to research a topic unless you know the exact date on which an event occurred. For a broad topic (like Metairie) you'd need to go through each daily paper.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums

October 27th, 2007, 8:35 pm #3

Issues of the New Orleans Bee are accessible from the Jefferson Parish Library through their website http://www.jefferson.lib.la.us/genealog ... eeMain.htm

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader and be able to read French.

out of looking through the earliest microfilm in N.O. papers. I've been writing down a bunch of articles, etc. that I give to the editor of our genealogical quarterly. I like the "personals" columns and the "coroner's reports" especially. They had a knack for phrasing things, too.

"Watermelon - it's a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face."
-Enrico Caruso-

October 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm #4

Genteel way of saying "drank him/herself to death"...

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

October 28th, 2007, 5:35 am #5

Do you think they guffawed to themselves back then as they wrote those phrases? I'll bet they did.

October 29th, 2007, 5:44 pm #6

Had a lot of those. Funny, they only used that term with the Irishmen. Bet lots of high-falutin folks died of the same thing, but they changed the terminology to "apoplexy" or something like that. Had lots of apoplexy back then. I'm waiting to see the high-class died of "lead poisoning" when they got shot by someone's husband.

-Enrico Caruso-

October 29th, 2007, 6:04 pm #7

N.O. Daily Picayune
13 September 1853

CITY INTELLIGENCE
INQUESTS - The coroner yesterday held an inquest on the body of a white man named Peter Fox, aged 24 years, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, found dead in a house No. 4 Poyefarre street, First District.
Verdict: "Died of tetanus, caused by a wound on the right side, below the hip joint, the wound supposed to have been inflicted by Tom McGovern, alias Chunky Tom, with a knife, on the evening of the 23rd ultimate, on the banquette at the corner of Delord and Tchoupitoulas streets, First District."

-Enrico Caruso-