RIP Austin Leslie

RIP Austin Leslie

September 29th, 2005, 6:02 pm #1

September 29th, 2005, 6:29 pm #2

What a horrible way to spend the last month of your life. Poor man.

PaulaRat

September 30th, 2005, 5:56 am #3

RIP Chef Austin.

I frequented Chez Helene, and the other places, but never made it to Pampy's.

I always made sure I took time out to talk to Chef Leslie any time I went to Jacques Imo's. I wanted him to know he was still the man in my book.

He was a very sweet man, and I can truly say that I loved him. I have his cookbook that he gave me, with a little inscription and a funny drawing. I love that!

Damn. I had plans to go see him in September too. Man, life is just too short & ya just never know.

RIP Dawlin.

Isabella

September 30th, 2005, 7:56 am #4

What a horrible way to spend the last month of your life. Poor man.

PaulaRat
This man is another example of a local "treasure".&nbsp; Austin Leslie was beloved by many local food lovers then&nbsp;gained more fame (indirectly) when his restaurant was the place a nationally syndicated TV show was based upon.&nbsp; Makes one (or at least me) wonder why his&nbsp;his business&nbsp;failed and he found himself frying chicken at&nbsp;<!--StartFragment --> Jacque-I-Mos and then working at Pampy's (not that there's anything wrong with any of that).&nbsp;&nbsp;He was&nbsp;a good cook but&nbsp;apparently a bad businessman.

I can't help but be reminded that Fats Domino was (according to news reports)&nbsp; also plucked out of New Orleans as a storm survivor and "refugee".&nbsp; He was/is&nbsp;a good musician but&nbsp;apparently&nbsp;a bad businessman.

Hopefully, when New Orleans "re-builds" talented people will connect with or use means available to make a comfortable living&nbsp;and&nbsp;stories like Mr. Leslie's and Mr. Domino's aren't the norm.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;