Restaurant, Dinner Review

Restaurant, Dinner Review

March 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm #1

I love to write glowing recommendations about new restaurants; I know the business is tough. Unfortunately my recent dinner at Patois was less than perfect. I hate to be negative about restaurants or anything for that matter. I am always am hopeful that new restaurants survive. There is nothing wrong with too many good places to go in one city! I hope someone from their place reads this and makes adjustments so they can stay around for a while and so I can give it a second chance.

Our dinner began with seating in a very tight dining room, I think they added more tables than Nardo's originally had there. One of my guests politely called it cozy as her elbow would hit the back of the person at the table next to us. It was also extremely loud and dinner conversation was difficult.

The rabbit gumbo was great, nice smoke flavor with a hint of after burn heat. I'd have that again if I were to ever return. One guest had the moules frites. The fries were very soggy which is not a great fit since they were atop the mussels and falling in the broth. Also no crusty bread to sop up the juice. In their defense it was a massive portion for an appetizer. Appropriate for a table of 4 to share or as a full entree with leftovers. She said the broth flavor was good but I think the soggy fries were a disappointment.

The wine list was good and there were a few reasonably priced choices.

The entrees- Two of my guests were not eating meat. Choices were limited since some of the seafood dishes included pork. We politely asked the waiter if the pork could be taken out of the dish to accomodate for their religious beliefs. The waiter said absolutely not. "We do not make any changes to dishes on the menu." In fact he said the chef would be completely offended that someone would ask such a question. I remained calm despite the implication that we were crazy to ask and had the nerve to question the chef's choices. I was pretty offended. I'm never opposed to paying a fee to add something or remove something. I am not unreasonable but I believe in this case the restaurant was.

One guest had the beet salad as her dinner because the waiter offered that as the best solution to her no meat problem. The other guest had a fish dish. I don't believe either was very memorable to my guests. I had the shrimp pasta...it did have sausage in it. It was tossed with lemon and peas and no sauce. My last guest ordered the boudin stuffed pork chop which on the menu sounded fabulous. It was infact overcooked and dry, she only had two bites of it.

I think the most disappointing part of the meal for me was the dessert. I actually ordered it to take one bite and bring the rest home so my husband could enjoy it...he loves apple tart. The menu listed Apple TART TATINE- It was not edible. I actually still had it packed up to go just so I could prove to my husband that I wasn't over reacting about the experience. It tasted like smoked meat and italian seasoning! It had a pumpkin seed brittle that was so over salted your mouth puckered. All I can think is that they cooked it on the griddle after a pork chop or in the same skillet that wasn't cleaned after someone browned meat. It was awful

I am so disappointed and ever so hopeful that they can get their act together. I'm going to give them about three months before I return to work out the kinks and customer service. Hopefully it will be much better next time. If you know anyone who is affiliated with it, please let them know about the challenges. I'm very patient with restaurants and it takes a lot to make me upset or never want to return.

March 8th, 2008, 3:14 pm #2

I've read some good reviews of the place.

Sounds like you really hit them on a bad night.
For their sake, I hope it was a fluke.
I am really sorry you had such a horrible experience.
I wonder if the regular chef was off that night??
Can make a world of difference in the best of places.

I hope they get their act together!

Regardless, I loved reading your review.
Despite it being a negative experience, it was very well written and I enjoyed reading it.

March 8th, 2008, 3:17 pm #3

Patois...It's uptown in the old Nardo's, near Laurel St. and Clancy's.

I heard good things about Ardois...it's on the list to visit.

I too hope it was a bad night...

Thanks for the feedback
Last edited by akcyrex on March 8th, 2008, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2008, 3:39 pm #4

I love to write glowing recommendations about new restaurants; I know the business is tough. Unfortunately my recent dinner at Patois was less than perfect. I hate to be negative about restaurants or anything for that matter. I am always am hopeful that new restaurants survive. There is nothing wrong with too many good places to go in one city! I hope someone from their place reads this and makes adjustments so they can stay around for a while and so I can give it a second chance.

Our dinner began with seating in a very tight dining room, I think they added more tables than Nardo's originally had there. One of my guests politely called it cozy as her elbow would hit the back of the person at the table next to us. It was also extremely loud and dinner conversation was difficult.

The rabbit gumbo was great, nice smoke flavor with a hint of after burn heat. I'd have that again if I were to ever return. One guest had the moules frites. The fries were very soggy which is not a great fit since they were atop the mussels and falling in the broth. Also no crusty bread to sop up the juice. In their defense it was a massive portion for an appetizer. Appropriate for a table of 4 to share or as a full entree with leftovers. She said the broth flavor was good but I think the soggy fries were a disappointment.

The entrees- Two of my guests were not eating meat. Choices were limited since some of the seafood dishes included pork. We politely asked the waiter if the pork could be taken out of the dish to accomodate for their religious beliefs. The waiter said absolutely not. "We do not make any changes to dishes on the menu." In fact he said the chef would be completely offended that someone would ask such a question. I remained calm despite the implication that we were crazy to ask and had the nerve to question the chef's choices. I was pretty offended. I'm never opposed to paying a fee to add something or remove something. I am not unreasonable but I believe in this case the restaurant was.

One guest had the beet salad as her dinner because the waiter offered that as the best solution to her no meat problem. The other guest had a fish dish. I don't believe either was very memorable to my guests. I had the shrimp pasta...it did have sausage in it. It was tossed with lemon and peas and no sauce. My last guest ordered the boudin stuffed pork chop which on the menu sounded fabulous. It was infact overcooked and dry, she only had two bites of it.

I think the most disappointing part of the meal for me was the dessert. I actually ordered it to take one bite and bring the rest home so my husband could enjoy it...he loves apple tart. The menu listed Apple TART TATINE- It was not edible. I actually still had it packed up to go just so I could prove to my husband that I wasn't over reacting about the experience. It tasted like smoked meat and italian seasoning! It had a pumpkin seed brittle that was so over salted your mouth puckered. All I can think is that they cooked it on the griddle after a pork chop or in the same skillet that wasn't cleaned after someone browned meat. It was awful

I am so disappointed and ever so hopeful that they can get their act together. I'm going to give them about three months before I return to work out the kinks and customer service. Hopefully it will be much better next time. If you know anyone who is affiliated with it, please let them know about the challenges. I'm very patient with restaurants and it takes a lot to make me upset or never want to return.
One of the best roast beef po-boy sammidge emporiums in town!

March 8th, 2008, 5:34 pm #5

An off night would imply that on an "on" night, those negative experiences would change. But they will always say no when you ask for something special - and it will likely stay cramped, too!

Your dessert experience reminds me of one at Emeril's. While the rest of the meal was very good, the banana cream pie tasted like fish. Now, I like bananas and cream and fish, but well....you know. Ick.

I'm so sorry about your experience.

PaulaRat

March 8th, 2008, 9:57 pm #6

Patois...It's uptown in the old Nardo's, near Laurel St. and Clancy's.

I heard good things about Ardois...it's on the list to visit.

I too hope it was a bad night...

Thanks for the feedback
can I get?

Sorry bout that!

Just for the record, I hear Ardoise is great!
Anybody been?

See, this is what I get when I post too freakin early!