"Reconstructing Creole"

"Reconstructing Creole"

January 14th, 2007, 5:54 am #1

Coming on Sunday night 7 p.m. channel 12 (PBS here).

Saw it in the Friday paper. Looks like a good documentary about Laura Plantation and several definitions of Creole.

I'll be watching.

"Never interfere in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
-Unknown-
Last edited by ersatzrat on January 14th, 2007, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 14th, 2007, 6:05 am #2

And it seems everybody thinks theirs is the definitive one!

January 20th, 2007, 1:46 am #3

Saw it in the Friday paper. Looks like a good documentary about Laura Plantation and several definitions of Creole.

I'll be watching.

"Never interfere in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
-Unknown-
Darn, I wish I could still get LPB! Katrina blew down my TV antenna tower, and we didn't put it back up since we have DirecTV. It burns me up that FCC rules force me to buy Mississippi channels for my locals even though I live on the MS-LA line and have always watched N.O. and B.R. TV stations!

I went to Laura Plantation for my one and only time just a week before Katrina. I had the best guide there - a woman who had been a French teacher like me and had given up teaching to open a tour business. Can't remember what the name of her business was, but she ran it out of N.O. 3 days a week and was a guide at Laura the other 2 days. Anyway, I would have loved to have seen this program.

January 20th, 2007, 2:07 am #4

January 20th, 2007, 2:38 am #5

Darn, I wish I could still get LPB! Katrina blew down my TV antenna tower, and we didn't put it back up since we have DirecTV. It burns me up that FCC rules force me to buy Mississippi channels for my locals even though I live on the MS-LA line and have always watched N.O. and B.R. TV stations!

I went to Laura Plantation for my one and only time just a week before Katrina. I had the best guide there - a woman who had been a French teacher like me and had given up teaching to open a tour business. Can't remember what the name of her business was, but she ran it out of N.O. 3 days a week and was a guide at Laura the other 2 days. Anyway, I would have loved to have seen this program.
Very good production. Actually produced by Jennifer John who used to be on one of the local news shows.

I only disagreed with one thing said by Gwendolyn Midlo Hall. She said the French and Spanish did not call themselves "creole" until the 19th century (1800s), but I have seen many documents and references of them being called "creole" if born in Louisiana prior to 1803. Don't know where she got that.

Anyway, one of the speakers on the program is Jay Schexnaydre. I know him from the German-Acadian Coast Historical and Genealogical Society and also from visiting Laura Plantation. He's such a sweetie. We were both digging in the Chauvin ancestry one time and sharing what we have.

The DVD is not on the website, but I assume it will eventually be available. www.wyes.org should have it someday. Click on "shop." It just came out, so probably won't be for sale now.

Also, you might check with the store at Laura Plantation. I think they have a store link on their website, but don't list all the goodies they have there. You could email and ask.
www.lauraplantation.com (I think).

-Unknown-

January 21st, 2007, 6:31 am #6

I'll be watching.

-Unknown-
Sunday 12p.m. channel 12 (PBS)

I'll watch again.

-Unknown-

January 21st, 2007, 5:36 pm #7