Pumpkin soup repair needed

Pumpkin soup repair needed

March 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm #1

OK, so I bought this pumpkin soup in a container - it's organic and all that crap - thought I'd try it. Hubby pronounced it almost tasteless. I have half a container left and would like to salvage it. Any recommendations as to a spice (or whatever) I could add to it to give it a flavor boost? (Cloves or nutmeg, maybe?)

LG

March 28th, 2008, 10:07 pm #2

It may need nothing else, maybe some freshly ground pepper (white peppercorns). If it still don't get it try some savory.

March 28th, 2008, 10:08 pm #3

OK, so I bought this pumpkin soup in a container - it's organic and all that crap - thought I'd try it. Hubby pronounced it almost tasteless. I have half a container left and would like to salvage it. Any recommendations as to a spice (or whatever) I could add to it to give it a flavor boost? (Cloves or nutmeg, maybe?)

LG

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

March 28th, 2008, 10:11 pm #4

I gotta ask - is there really any difference in flavor between black and white pepper?

LG

March 28th, 2008, 10:26 pm #5

LG

a little bit of cream.  some orange zest.  SALT.  be careful with the nutmeg, a little goes a very long way.  Sage goes very nicely with pumpkin soup.  Add bits of things at a time, stir and taste.  Why don't you make some parmesan sage croutons to float in it?  Take chunks of bread, toss in a bowl with some oil, parmesan and sage, bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. 

A drizzle of sour cream is nice when it's in the bowl too.
Last edited by bdavid4 on March 28th, 2008, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2008, 10:32 pm #6

I gotta ask - is there really any difference in flavor between black and white pepper?

LG

But when you tell someone that's what you used they are usually impressed! But, kidding aside, white pepper is really black peppercorns with the "skin" removed and is a bit milder and doesn't show up in your pun'kin' soup as "flecks".

March 28th, 2008, 10:38 pm #7

a little bit of cream.  some orange zest.  SALT.  be careful with the nutmeg, a little goes a very long way.  Sage goes very nicely with pumpkin soup.  Add bits of things at a time, stir and taste.  Why don't you make some parmesan sage croutons to float in it?  Take chunks of bread, toss in a bowl with some oil, parmesan and sage, bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. 

Sound like some great "fixes."

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

March 28th, 2008, 11:31 pm #8

I had already tried pepper (black), a little salt and sour cream. We're in a rush tonight because we're going to a concert, so won't have time for the croutons - but I'll file away that idea!

LG

March 29th, 2008, 4:12 am #9

I really like Barbara's ideas.

I keep poultry seasoning & cake spice, pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice close by. I make butternut squash soup & use poultry seasoning & cake spice & one of the others. Wow, you'd be amazed at how good it is!

March 29th, 2008, 4:25 am #10

LG

Hmmmm - herbs for squash . . . I am thinking sage might be a subtle addition towards the end of cooking.