Not that I have any right to get political

Not that I have any right to get political

March 18th, 2008, 10:43 pm #1

being a guest here and all, but this speech by Obama is quite remarkable, to my mind.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/18/ ... index.html

March 19th, 2008, 12:25 am #2

Wow. It's just about perfect.

He might have just won my vote.

Mr. Lake
New Orleans Past

March 19th, 2008, 7:24 am #3

That definitely changed a lot of my opinions about him. What a moving speech.

March 19th, 2008, 7:28 pm #4

being a guest here and all, but this speech by Obama is quite remarkable, to my mind.

March 19th, 2008, 8:01 pm #5

to me is that he has good speech writers and PR persons.

We have to see.

March 19th, 2008, 8:55 pm #6

but that's all I can see that he has to offer. "Change" is not, in my opinion, enough reason to vote for anyone to have the most powerful position in the world.

What really worries me is the messiah-like status that he has attained, fueled by media hype and aided by his charisma. At one political rally he took out a handkerchief and blew his nose. Everyone applauded. When I heard that, my first thought was that this campaign is an almost perfect parallel of "The Life of Brian." I was waiting for him to drop the handkerchief and everyone start worshipping around it.

March 20th, 2008, 2:21 am #7

I am going to talk about politics. I just do not trust Obama. He is a good speaker, but I do not see him as sincere. I do not believe that he wrote that speech himself. I know he was hoping that no one would ever find out about this so called "pastor"
Plus today I heard some comments that "pastor" made about Natalie Holloway. They were sickening. He has the nerve to call himself a man of God!!!!
This is the man that married Obama and his wife and baptized his children. I will never believe that Barrack did not know what a radical this "pastor" is.
Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. I'm sorry if I offened anyone. This is just my opinion.

March 20th, 2008, 5:13 am #8

I have a rather jaded view of all politicians.

I don't know if this speech is sincere or a pretty impressive example of damage control.

I will be immensely pleased, however, to be finally rid of the current resident of the White House.

LG

March 20th, 2008, 6:19 am #9

to me is that he has good speech writers and PR persons.

We have to see.

he has good speech writers (I didn't suspect that he actually wrote the whole thing himself) but I'm impressed by any politician who has the balls to say what others are apparently afraid to say. I realize that the speech was motivated by "damage control" but, damn, it's a great speech.

I have not been at all impressed with Obama and never "got" his charisma thing. In fact, when I've heard/viewed him speak I have been left cold -- he doesn't come across to me as sincere (I get the same creepy feeling with Bobby Jindal). I read the Obama speech before I viewed him presenting it and found it much more powerful on the page. I think it may go down in history as a turning point; the first time a major American politician cogently addressed racial issues from both sides.

And no doubt, you're right, Rita. We have to see.

On a lighter note, I can't get out of my head that my mother first thought his name was Barack O'Bama. But she thought Franco Harris was Frank O'Harris.

Mr. Lake
New Orleans Past

March 23rd, 2008, 8:39 am #10

I have a rather jaded view of all politicians.

I don't know if this speech is sincere or a pretty impressive example of damage control.

I will be immensely pleased, however, to be finally rid of the current resident of the White House.

LG

I am weary of Barack, regardless of his speech, I think Hillary has the experience and the balls of many men put together. She also has Bill in the backround smoking a cigar. McCain wants the war to go on forever. God Bless Him.

I vote for Ed Norton.