N.O. photo

N.O. photo

November 18th, 2007, 5:43 am #1

I came across a CD by chance the other day, and had to buy it - not only for the ancient jazz numbers, but for the cover photo. No date is given, but it's Canal Street at Mardi Gras - I do recognize Blaine Kern's floats; also the Monteleone Hotel, Leonard Krower, Royal Castle, Sutton's, possiby Kreeger's, Woolworth's (way in the distance) and Werlein's in the foreground. How many of those are still there? (Isn't the old Werlein building now the Palace Cafe?). I found the photo at:

http://pro.corbis.com/search/searchFrame.aspx

It's photo #BE029924 (second from right on tthe top row). Lots of other photos there, too, from various eras. Further down the page I see another one of Canal Street showing a sign that says "Waterbury's". I had completely forgotten about that place, and now I'm trying to remember - was it a drug store?

LG

November 18th, 2007, 10:15 am #2

Camp and Canal? If I'm not mistaken it was one of the only 24 hour drug stores in town.

November 18th, 2007, 1:26 pm #3

I came across a CD by chance the other day, and had to buy it - not only for the ancient jazz numbers, but for the cover photo. No date is given, but it's Canal Street at Mardi Gras - I do recognize Blaine Kern's floats; also the Monteleone Hotel, Leonard Krower, Royal Castle, Sutton's, possiby Kreeger's, Woolworth's (way in the distance) and Werlein's in the foreground. How many of those are still there? (Isn't the old Werlein building now the Palace Cafe?). I found the photo at:

http://pro.corbis.com/search/searchFrame.aspx

It's photo #BE029924 (second from right on tthe top row). Lots of other photos there, too, from various eras. Further down the page I see another one of Canal Street showing a sign that says "Waterbury's". I had completely forgotten about that place, and now I'm trying to remember - was it a drug store?

LG

Last summer I spent 4 days incarcerated in a hotel directly across Canal from the old Werlein's building. Spent lots of time eye-to-eye with it when I looked out my window. It's definitely some cafe on the ground floor now; Palace could be it. I know it's conveniently located next door to Voodoo Mart--was thinking about getting the jump on my Christmas shopping there, but never got the time!

November 18th, 2007, 2:37 pm #4

Camp and Canal? If I'm not mistaken it was one of the only 24 hour drug stores in town.

540 Canal St. corner Camp. Had a restaurant above it. Only Pharmacy in town to get Turpin Hydrate cough syrup without a prescription.
If I remember right some outfit bought out the whole block to build a highrise, but Waterbury's held out and made them build around the Waterbury's building.
Is Waterbury's still in business?

November 18th, 2007, 3:55 pm #5

It was the only 24/7 drugstore in town. Many years ago, a family member became ill on Christmas day and I was dispatched to go to Waterbury's to buy some over the counter relief items. As I was trixieing down Metry Road toward Canal Street, I spied the Time Saver on Metry Road between Labarre and Fagot and was able to get the same items there without making the trek to Canal. At that time, Waterbury's and Time Saver were the only action open on Christmas day.

November 18th, 2007, 10:53 pm #6

Last summer I spent 4 days incarcerated in a hotel directly across Canal from the old Werlein's building. Spent lots of time eye-to-eye with it when I looked out my window. It's definitely some cafe on the ground floor now; Palace could be it. I know it's conveniently located next door to Voodoo Mart--was thinking about getting the jump on my Christmas shopping there, but never got the time!
...voodoo Christmas?

LG

November 19th, 2007, 1:50 am #7

when I was a kid, we used to have to go to Werleins to buy our tickets for the "in person" shows. thats what we used to call call what they now call "concerts." To us a concert was something with a symphony or that kind of music. Werleins is where we got our Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five, Animals, Where the Action Is, Paul Revere and the Raiders tickets.

November 19th, 2007, 3:46 am #8

Were you at P.R. and the Raiders? Those were my ushering days, and because I showed up for some of the less popular ushering events (opera, lieder singers, etc.--which I enjoyed, BTW) they made up some pretext upon which I could "work" for the rock shows as well. It was a sweet deal, but didn't work for the Beatles. A family friend was waked that night, so I couldn't have gone even if I had paid money for a ticket. But I couldn't have "worked" for that one either. Oh, well....

November 19th, 2007, 4:16 am #9

Of Waterbury's at the end of their drugstore, there was a small countertop restaurant owned by a German gentleman, in 1948 with about seven stools.

I used to go there for a roastbeef po'boy after seeing a double cowboy feature at the Rio Theater on St Charles.

Then walk down Canal to Walgreen's at Baronne for one of their banana splits before riding the Tulane Avenue Street car down Tulane Ave to Carrollton and Washington Avenues where I transferred to the Leonidas Street bus for the final ride home, all  for seven cents, with transfers..

Turned off Tulane on to Carrollton Ave by Pelican Stadium and rode across an old rusty bridge over the New Basin Canal.

Sometiimes there was a circus next to the canal at Washington and Carrolton.

The good old days!

George Martin
Pacifica CA
http://home.earthlink.net/~bat20/

November 19th, 2007, 4:56 am #10

I remember going to the circus at that location. If I'm not mistaken one of the railroads that formed Devil's Elbow brought the circus train right into the area.