Mr. Casamento

November 7th, 2005, 11:32 pm #1

According to Poppy Brite at http://www.livejournal.com/users/docbrite/ , "Joe Casamento, proprietor of Casamento's Restaurant, died the night Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans."  She paid a lovely on the mark tribute to him there, may he rest in peace.

Mr. Lake

November 7th, 2005, 11:46 pm #2

Thank you, Poppy for your report. God bless Mr. Joe and God bless Poppy for yet another dig at Jaques-Imo's (Shithole, hahahahahahaha!).

I wonder if Casamento's will still open on schedule? They'd better not rile up Mr. Joe!

Last edited by Cop_Cop on November 7th, 2005, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 8th, 2005, 12:03 am #3

It says opening Nov 15 but makes no mention of the death.

schatze

November 8th, 2005, 1:53 am #4

According to Poppy Brite at http://www.livejournal.com/users/docbrite/ , "Joe Casamento, proprietor of Casamento's Restaurant, died the night Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans."  She paid a lovely on the mark tribute to him there, may he rest in peace.

Mr. Lake
but found nothing substantiating Mr. C's death.

Found an excerpt of an e-mail supposedly from "CJ" on Chowhound's New Orleans forum but nothing in T-P or any other obit listing of any Casamento in 2005.

(\0/)
She who is flexible shall not be bent out of
shape.

DoctorB
DoctorB

November 8th, 2005, 2:29 am #5

... don't y'all be mad at me, but it came from Tom F, whom I do trust as far as local food news goes. The Chowhound post you refer to is the only online mention I've been able to find, and I didn't quite trust it. I'm glad people here are speaking well of Mr. Joe and that he is fondly remembered.

Casamento's is scheduled to open November 15. I'll be there, though it will be hard not seeing him behind that gleaming counter.

November 8th, 2005, 2:57 am #6

Send me your e mail address again at mav312@aol.com

thanks

DoctorB
DoctorB

November 8th, 2005, 3:26 am #7

nm

November 8th, 2005, 4:05 am #8

Mr. Lake
I can't think of Joe Casamento without "seeing" that rubber thing he wore on his thumb.  Of all the oysters shuckers I've seen  in all the towns in all the world, I ain't nevuh seen none ov'em wear anything like it.  I would have thought that after all those years behind that oyster bar, Mr. Joe wouldn't have needed any kind of safety gear -- maybe it was his good luck charm. I'm also reminded of that long metal rod that resembled a fireplace poker that he used to slide oysters out of the antiquated "ice box".  You won't see anything like that at Sweet Fire and Ice. Casamento's never tried for trendy but I'm amazed that no one, in my memory, ever tried to imitate them.

Mr. Casamento seemed ageless to me.  He was there the first and last time I was there and, to my memory, at all times in between.  Time stood still when walking through that door.  With Mr. Joe gone, the place will not be the same because he was a huge presence in that treasured neighborhood restaurant.  I just poured a beer into a tiny cylindrical glass which is now raised in a toast to Mr. Joe with hopes that nothing else changes at Casamento's.

Mr. Lake

DoctorB
DoctorB

November 8th, 2005, 5:07 am #9

I love it. There are about two good swigs in those things, yet somehow they conjure up the essence of Casamento's.

But you know what? I think the spirit of Casamento's just might survive intact. I can barely remember when the old man, Joe Sr., was alive. I bet when he died, people said it would never be the same ... yet it remained almost exactly the same. I suspect Mr. Joe drilled his work ethic and insistence on perfection into his nephew C.J. just as his father did to him.

November 10th, 2005, 2:40 am #10

if you ever decide to use that line ("tiny cylindrical glasses") in one of your books, I'd be pleased as rum punch. 

I don't know who "C.J." is but there's a lady there who I'm guessing is about my age (maybe a younger) who's been there just about as long as I can remember.  I always assumed she was Mr. and Mrs. Joe Junior's daughter.  I would have thought she's be the one to take over the place.  In any case, like you, I have hope that Casamento's will remain a timeless treasure.

Mr. Lake