Mardi Gras....I can't stand it!

Mardi Gras....I can't stand it!

February 1st, 2008, 1:22 am #1

Funny thing, I've been like this about Mardi Gras since I was a kid. I never could stand parades and when some well meaning relative would insist on dragging my Sister and I to a parade we would be sure to make every minute of the experience miserable for said relative. This feeling compounded when I went on the police department. Under normal circumstances we had to work every parade, every carnival ball after the parades, then pound a beat on Bourbon Street every night of the carnival season. I found a way to beat this after my first few NOPD carnival details. I learned that if you volunteered to work a paid security detail at Pat O'Brien's you could take vacation with pay from NOPD! And make a small fortune courtesy of the generosity of George and Sonny Ochsner, owners of Pat O's! That's how I spent carnival seasons for the bulk of my career in law enforcement.

Nowadays I am in another dilemma. Living where I do, bounded in by Bonnabel, Veterans, Wesplanade and the 17th Street Canal, I am trapped whenever a Metairie parade is rolling. I can't get in or out of the neighborhood. Don't tell me about the "back streets". Those are usually gridlocked with others in the same situation.

Rant over! Thanks for reading!

February 1st, 2008, 1:52 am #2

When I lived in Mid-City, I lived a block off of Orleans and had a huge Endymion party every year. My neighbor Ricardo would have one also and after about 2 years, it was completely out of hand.

Cop, I don't know one policeman who likes MG. Hey, if you did a detail at Pat O's, you must have known Lionel Keating.....

Did we have that conversation? maybe at Finn's?

February 1st, 2008, 1:55 am #3

Funny thing, I've been like this about Mardi Gras since I was a kid. I never could stand parades and when some well meaning relative would insist on dragging my Sister and I to a parade we would be sure to make every minute of the experience miserable for said relative. This feeling compounded when I went on the police department. Under normal circumstances we had to work every parade, every carnival ball after the parades, then pound a beat on Bourbon Street every night of the carnival season. I found a way to beat this after my first few NOPD carnival details. I learned that if you volunteered to work a paid security detail at Pat O'Brien's you could take vacation with pay from NOPD! And make a small fortune courtesy of the generosity of George and Sonny Ochsner, owners of Pat O's! That's how I spent carnival seasons for the bulk of my career in law enforcement.

Nowadays I am in another dilemma. Living where I do, bounded in by Bonnabel, Veterans, Wesplanade and the 17th Street Canal, I am trapped whenever a Metairie parade is rolling. I can't get in or out of the neighborhood. Don't tell me about the "back streets". Those are usually gridlocked with others in the same situation.

I cannot stand to feel trapped. I cannot stand to think I cannot get in my vehicle and go somewhere when I want to go.

At least this year's season was short and you've just got a few more days to hang on!

February 1st, 2008, 2:11 am #4

When I lived in Mid-City, I lived a block off of Orleans and had a huge Endymion party every year. My neighbor Ricardo would have one also and after about 2 years, it was completely out of hand.

Cop, I don't know one policeman who likes MG. Hey, if you did a detail at Pat O's, you must have known Lionel Keating.....

Did we have that conversation? maybe at Finn's?
Koo-Koo Keating? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA......... Lionel was always after liebchen Helga, the remarkable Pat O's camera girl!

February 1st, 2008, 2:13 am #5

I cannot stand to feel trapped. I cannot stand to think I cannot get in my vehicle and go somewhere when I want to go.

At least this year's season was short and you've just got a few more days to hang on!
Thanks and most of my late hour shifts allow me some relief from the problems.

February 1st, 2008, 2:14 am #6

Don't know why but my mother and I both loved Mardi Gras. One year a friend and I decided to see just how many parades we could physically see in one year and we managed 42, but we were young, quick and didn't require much sleep. We could catch the uptown parade where it started, book it down to Chalmette and because the Chalmette parades usually weren't that long, we could catch the end of the Metairie Parade on Vets and Martin Behrmann at the end. Weekends usually involved jaunts to Terry Parkway to catch West Bank parades, too. That feat required extensive knowledge of city streets and a beat up car that you could park anywhere and not worry that it would get dinged.

February 1st, 2008, 4:50 am #7

Koo-Koo Keating? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA......... Lionel was always after liebchen Helga, the remarkable Pat O's camera girl!
do you remember Peaches on the piano?

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

February 1st, 2008, 6:44 am #8

I remember Mercedes and Barbara Bennet. There were a couple of piano players whose names I don't recall. Do you remember Eddie Gabriel, the waiter who beat out percussion on a tray full of change with thimbles on his finger tips?

February 1st, 2008, 9:57 am #9

but in small doses it's ok. I had a dose last year.

This year we're making the great escape to Gulf Shores. I hope the rest of the NO natives aren't there with us. heehee... One great thing about going in the winter is having the beautiful chilly beach to ourselves for strolls. That and Blaylocks (fresh seafood market) and the Burris farmer's market.

Not to mention Old Tyme Pottery where I've been know to get lost for hours.... LOVE IT.

PS I love how when you change pages on the food forum there are different pics of ya'll.

Judib

February 1st, 2008, 12:47 pm #10

I remember Mercedes and Barbara Bennet. There were a couple of piano players whose names I don't recall. Do you remember Eddie Gabriel, the waiter who beat out percussion on a tray full of change with thimbles on his finger tips?
I loved working at Pat's. I worked paid details there even when it wasn't Carnival Season. My favorite place to hang out was on the second floor landing, which was a kinda lounge for ladies waiting to use the terlit. There was a nice piece of furniture up there we called the "fainting couch", mainly because it was most often occupied by someone who was one "Breeze" short of too many "Hurricanes"! The dark room was on the second floor, too and when Helga got overloaded with work I helped her develop negatives. A guy I grew up with and joined the Navy with, Jim (See the Angie, LA, daytrip photos) was a bartender at Pat's and so was his Uncle Louie. Sonny Oeschner was steady hitting on my Norwegian girlfriend when she'd bring me a sammich. He'd try to get her to go up to the office with him to "count quarters". Just a few memories racing around in my mind.

Ruthie came to visit us several times a day and her duck was always welcome. I remember a few of the ducks, there was Peter who got flattened by a Greyline tour bus. We took a proper police report and gave Ruthie an item number so she could report it to her insurance company. She was satisfied and the next day someone gave her another duck. I think it was Merle, a Jackson Square artist. Another duck was Jimmy, named after Officer Jim Cronyn whom Ruthie insisted she would marry "some day". We kept Ruthie supplied with cigarettes "for later" and she never had to pay for a beer.

Ruthie's brother, Henry Moulon, was a Pat O's main bar regular. He managed a gay bath house around the corner on Toulouse Street. Henry would sit and tell us in minute detail about whatever movie he had seen last. We got so tired of this my girl and I took Henry with us whenever we went to the movies so he wouldn't tell us about movies anymore.

Just a few memories racing around in my mind. It was fun being a cop back then.