I need some advice.

I need some advice.

April 6th, 2007, 1:50 pm #1

Please help me ya'll. I've got antibiotics, pain killers and sedatives and treats and peanut butter and steak and cheese and ...you get the point. I can't get him to take his pills. HELP. I'm getting very defeated and am going to curl back up into bed and just cry. (after I go to the gym and sweat for an hour)

April 6th, 2007, 2:15 pm #2

I have dry pilled a dog but if they are tight clenchers or biters it's really tough. You open up their mouth and push the pill way, way back and down the throat with your finger, then hold their nose up till you know the pill is down. A swallow is the tip off. I have had dogs fake me out and spit out a pill after many tries but if you can get in there it's all about the push with the finger.

April 6th, 2007, 2:25 pm #3

Please help me ya'll. I've got antibiotics, pain killers and sedatives and treats and peanut butter and steak and cheese and ...you get the point. I can't get him to take his pills. HELP. I'm getting very defeated and am going to curl back up into bed and just cry. (after I go to the gym and sweat for an hour)
I got Pill Pockets at the vet's (they are at PetCo, too), that you mold over the pill. Sweetie gobbles up every pill I give her with this.

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

April 6th, 2007, 5:29 pm #4

I picked some up at the vet. Worked like a charm. And they should for that price!

April 6th, 2007, 7:08 pm #5

But, they really work so they are worth the price.

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

April 6th, 2007, 8:06 pm #6

I use the Schatze method and suddenly blow into Teena da Weena's face. She swallows the pill.
Last edited by Cop_Cop on April 6th, 2007, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCG
JCG

April 7th, 2007, 10:33 am #7

.... I presume that "him" is an animal - and not a favorite dining companion - that won't take his pills?

Often a reluctant dog will swallow (wolf down?) a pill that is carefully wrapped in a small meat ball or roll of bacon. By "carefully", I mean that the trick is that the pill be completly sealed and hidden; and the package handed to the dog nonchalantly, as though it were a treat. (Try not to give hints in advance by voice or body-language that it's "medicine time"!)

Cats are nibblers rather than immediate swallowers, so less easy to fool with wrapped pills. We usually just sit our cat up, holding her quickly, gently but firmly by the scruff. As soon as she opens her mouth to complain, one drops the pill in and strokes her rapidly under her throat to trigger the swallowing reflex. Sometimes, of course she is able to hide and spit out a pill; and one has to try again.

The problem is trickier with smarter animals - particularly those that match our own intelligence. The vet at the zoo where I once worked gave a hilarious account of the time when he had to give an elephant a dose of strychnine. (Apparently, an amount of strychnine probably sufficient to wipe out a small village can act as a tonic in elephants in need of a pick-me-up for depression or pining.)

Strychnine is very bitter; and the elephant had rejected any attempt to mix it with her food or water. So the vet and curator hit on the idea of injecting the nasty medicine deeply into a whole orange, of which the animal was normally very fond.

The elephant took that prescription just once. The next day, when given her orange, the elephant hurled the fruit to the ground, stomped it flat, and walked away, trunk in the air, wearing - as the vet desribed it - "an expression of pained contempt"! (Who says that only humans are capable of meaningful facial expression?) Defeated, the vet decided that the one successful dose of strychnine had effected a cure.

April 8th, 2007, 1:46 am #8

See http://www.network54.com/Forum/519924/t ... ody+update

April 8th, 2007, 4:58 am #9

I picked some up at the vet. Worked like a charm. And they should for that price!
you might try my tried and true but less congenial method of prying open the animal's mouth while tilting the jaws upward -- then you pop the pill (toss it) as far down the throat as you can. Sounds worse than it is and works like a charm (it's a variation of schatze's dry pill technique). None of our pets ever carried a grudge and always allowed me to do this but you really do need to be the proverbial alpha dog to pull this off.

I've seen people do this and follow through by continuing to hold the head high and massaging the throat (to induce swallowing, I guess) but I never found this step necessary. Seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
Last edited by CCampanella on April 8th, 2007, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2007, 6:40 am #10

.... I presume that "him" is an animal - and not a favorite dining companion - that won't take his pills?

Often a reluctant dog will swallow (wolf down?) a pill that is carefully wrapped in a small meat ball or roll of bacon. By "carefully", I mean that the trick is that the pill be completly sealed and hidden; and the package handed to the dog nonchalantly, as though it were a treat. (Try not to give hints in advance by voice or body-language that it's "medicine time"!)

Cats are nibblers rather than immediate swallowers, so less easy to fool with wrapped pills. We usually just sit our cat up, holding her quickly, gently but firmly by the scruff. As soon as she opens her mouth to complain, one drops the pill in and strokes her rapidly under her throat to trigger the swallowing reflex. Sometimes, of course she is able to hide and spit out a pill; and one has to try again.

The problem is trickier with smarter animals - particularly those that match our own intelligence. The vet at the zoo where I once worked gave a hilarious account of the time when he had to give an elephant a dose of strychnine. (Apparently, an amount of strychnine probably sufficient to wipe out a small village can act as a tonic in elephants in need of a pick-me-up for depression or pining.)

Strychnine is very bitter; and the elephant had rejected any attempt to mix it with her food or water. So the vet and curator hit on the idea of injecting the nasty medicine deeply into a whole orange, of which the animal was normally very fond.

The elephant took that prescription just once. The next day, when given her orange, the elephant hurled the fruit to the ground, stomped it flat, and walked away, trunk in the air, wearing - as the vet desribed it - "an expression of pained contempt"! (Who says that only humans are capable of meaningful facial expression?) Defeated, the vet decided that the one successful dose of strychnine had effected a cure.
I have 2 dogs, just over 60 pounds each. The pup is almost 2 and the old man, well, he's been around a while (he's been 13 for as long as I've had him....we have no idea of his age, but he's in good shape, thank goodness)