How Crabby Jack's ruined my b'day - OR the end of

How Crabby Jack's ruined my b'day - OR the end of

February 19th, 2008, 2:46 am #1

my love affair with Crabby Jack's onion rings. As I wound up the week-long celebration of my birth, the entire country having the day off today to honor me and any of our presidents if they chose, I lured Wes into accompanying me to N.O. with the promise of a poboy and onion rings at Crabby's. This is the last known bastion of old time onion rings of my youth - onions hand cut, battered in a flour based batter and fried to a crispy, golden-brown perfection.

I ordered my usual poboy, shrimp remoulade/fried green tomato, and Wes opted for fried shrimp plate with his side choice being jambalaya. We knew the amount of food would be copious, but hell, when has that ever mattered, especially since we had my birthday as an excuse, so we tacked on the onion rings. The place was packed, we took two of the last remaining four seats, and awaited our bounty. I spotted the rings as soon as the cook sat them up in the window, and I could tell something wasn't right. As the waitress neared our table, there was no mistake - the onion rings had changed! A totally new style, a batter that looked like it was full of panko and cornmeal - horrors! They looked like all modern-day onion rings - they could have come from Sonic or Dairy Queen or any other fast food joint that has them on the menu.

Such a disappointment. As I enter today into my 48th year, I know that most of what is truly good in the food world has been tossed aside for the the mundane foods that please the palates of those who have grown up on fast foods or foods cooked at home with ingredients out of a package or a box. Ugh!

February 19th, 2008, 3:53 am #2

I don't understand why restaurants change things to boxed or pre-made items. It is disgusting. I love onion rings and haven't had decent ones since I lived in N.O. Isn't that ridiculous? I see these uniform looking large frozen onion ring clones. The onion slides out of the batter completely with the first bite. A waste of calories and fat.

I like the thin, freshly made onions.

How was everything else?

February 19th, 2008, 4:45 pm #3

February 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm #4

my love affair with Crabby Jack's onion rings. As I wound up the week-long celebration of my birth, the entire country having the day off today to honor me and any of our presidents if they chose, I lured Wes into accompanying me to N.O. with the promise of a poboy and onion rings at Crabby's. This is the last known bastion of old time onion rings of my youth - onions hand cut, battered in a flour based batter and fried to a crispy, golden-brown perfection.

I ordered my usual poboy, shrimp remoulade/fried green tomato, and Wes opted for fried shrimp plate with his side choice being jambalaya. We knew the amount of food would be copious, but hell, when has that ever mattered, especially since we had my birthday as an excuse, so we tacked on the onion rings. The place was packed, we took two of the last remaining four seats, and awaited our bounty. I spotted the rings as soon as the cook sat them up in the window, and I could tell something wasn't right. As the waitress neared our table, there was no mistake - the onion rings had changed! A totally new style, a batter that looked like it was full of panko and cornmeal - horrors! They looked like all modern-day onion rings - they could have come from Sonic or Dairy Queen or any other fast food joint that has them on the menu.

Such a disappointment. As I enter today into my 48th year, I know that most of what is truly good in the food world has been tossed aside for the the mundane foods that please the palates of those who have grown up on fast foods or foods cooked at home with ingredients out of a package or a box. Ugh!

February 19th, 2008, 4:58 pm #5

and no, I do not know how to make perfect onion rings. I am not good at fried green tomatoes either.

I am not the best at frying.

Please post how you make the tomatoes

February 19th, 2008, 5:43 pm #6