Dinner w/ Arthur

Dinner w/ Arthur

March 16th, 2008, 1:24 am #1

Tonight, it was a basic Texas-style BBQ place - Good Co. on Katy Fwy. Very tasty - I think the smoked duck was the overall winner on taste; the potato salad was very good. Coleslaw a bit flat and baked beans a weird mix of veggies and spices. The jalapeno/cheese bread was very good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jujuhoodoo ... 124183934/

Whenever I utter the word "exercise" I will rinse my mouth with chocolate!

March 16th, 2008, 1:39 am #2

I've eaten there and enjoyed it.

I really wanted to get the duck but someone else was paying, so I didn't want to order something on the higher end.

Please tell me about the duck so that I can live vicariously!

I have a hankering for some good potato salad, and I like the texture of theirs. Thought it could use some jazzin up a bit tho, overall it was good.

Nice of you & Arthur to be able to get together!

Had my eyes not still been on the blink, I would have liked to have hooked the 2 of you up with my friend Teresa who lives there. Will still have to introduce you to her, JuJu. She's a dining around kinda girl!

March 16th, 2008, 1:59 am #3

I'd love to meet up w/ your friend!

The duck - was succulent and smoky - and very generous serving - the thigh meat was very moist still and the skin really added a nice texture. I took the drumstick home to Sonny Boy (who claims to not like duck). It was so good - he may have changed his mind about our feathered friends (lol)!

March 16th, 2008, 2:05 am #4

didn't eat so much, we coulda split the duck entree!

Oh well. Next time!

When I am seeing better I will write to Teresa and then introduce the two of you. She is a nurse at M.D. Anderson.

March 16th, 2008, 3:55 am #5

Tonight, it was a basic Texas-style BBQ place - Good Co. on Katy Fwy. Very tasty - I think the smoked duck was the overall winner on taste; the potato salad was very good. Coleslaw a bit flat and baked beans a weird mix of veggies and spices. The jalapeno/cheese bread was very good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jujuhoodoo ... 124183934/

and I used to have to go there on business. Before your time in Houston, I'm sure, but I worked for Payne & Keller early to mid 80's. My boss was at the Houston office, and he was a real winer and diner, took me lots of great places to eat and drink. Best boss I ever had - sure miss him.

March 16th, 2008, 5:02 am #6

I've eaten there and enjoyed it.

I really wanted to get the duck but someone else was paying, so I didn't want to order something on the higher end.

Please tell me about the duck so that I can live vicariously!

I have a hankering for some good potato salad, and I like the texture of theirs. Thought it could use some jazzin up a bit tho, overall it was good.

Nice of you & Arthur to be able to get together!

Had my eyes not still been on the blink, I would have liked to have hooked the 2 of you up with my friend Teresa who lives there. Will still have to introduce you to her, JuJu. She's a dining around kinda girl!
My Momma told me that she's bringing Italian Potato Salad to the parade party (it's a fairly standard recipe except oil is used instead of mynez). She told me about a recent discussion with a quilting buddy from old Kenner (Hanson City) who always used vegetable oil because olive oil was expensive. Her friend was amused when a much younger relative showed up at a family party with an Italian Potato Salad made, not only with olive oil but with balsamic vinegar.

Remember when olive oil was "too expensive"? I do.

Mr. Lake
New Orleans Past

March 16th, 2008, 5:09 am #7

Mer is doing italian potato salad? Yes indeed.

That is all I have to say at this moment. I fed 1200 persons today. I am wiped. Drinking wine.

Gottagotobed.

March 16th, 2008, 9:28 am #8

and I used to have to go there on business. Before your time in Houston, I'm sure, but I worked for Payne & Keller early to mid 80's. My boss was at the Houston office, and he was a real winer and diner, took me lots of great places to eat and drink. Best boss I ever had - sure miss him.
just moved here in 2005; I've been "visiting" for work since 1990-91 and eating at places like Pappacitos (the favorite of my co-traveling co-workers). There are some pretty good places around here. A true "catch" is Rita's C afe - Lebanese cuisine, run by George and Rita. Best lunch place within walking distance of my home!

March 16th, 2008, 12:16 pm #9

while in my doctor's waiting room for AN HOUR AND A HALF.

Anyway, has anyone eaten there? It's on Montrose, just south of 59.

The BBQ looked good. Talk about the complete anti-thesis of lunch at Mark's! I love eating like that.

PaulaRat

March 16th, 2008, 1:51 pm #10

But, I will be checking them out and let you know if I make it there.

I love all spectrums (spectra?) of food and dining! Goode Co. was very spacious and campy decor w/ saddles and stuff all over the place; they have a cafeteria -style serving line and generous portions. Very friendly service - cashier helped carry Arthur's tray to the table and everyone was very helpful and polite. (Not that there's anything wrong - or unexpected - with that!)