Causeway Blvd. "J-Hook".

Causeway Blvd. "J-Hook".

December 20th, 2007, 2:31 pm #1

That's what it was called in police parlance, but it was that goofy ramp that took you up and over Jefferson Hiway and dropped you down heading Northward on Causeway Blvd. At one time it was used by two-way traffic! Accidents abounded back in them days!

Anyway, it ain't dare no more. It is being dismantled and a left turn lane has been put in service from Jefferson Hiway East to Causeway Blvd. The intersection looks weeod without that elevated ramp!

CopCop

December 20th, 2007, 3:02 pm #2

ever happened to that ramp since the day it was built. Seen too many wrecks on it.

December 20th, 2007, 3:05 pm #3

....when it was two-way? Two semi trucks going in opposite directions would have just inches of clearance between them making the curve on the ramp.

CopCop

December 20th, 2007, 4:29 pm #4

not to take pics of overturned trucks on that ramp. Remind me this weekend & I'll let my bride tell you that horror story.

December 20th, 2007, 7:51 pm #5

That's what it was called in police parlance, but it was that goofy ramp that took you up and over Jefferson Hiway and dropped you down heading Northward on Causeway Blvd. At one time it was used by two-way traffic! Accidents abounded back in them days!

Anyway, it ain't dare no more. It is being dismantled and a left turn lane has been put in service from Jefferson Hiway East to Causeway Blvd. The intersection looks weeod without that elevated ramp!

CopCop
I grew up just a few blocks from there. Another thing gonna be "aint dere no more" My childhood is fading away.

December 20th, 2007, 8:54 pm #6

....when it was two-way? Two semi trucks going in opposite directions would have just inches of clearance between them making the curve on the ramp.

CopCop
when I got my license at 15 years old. When a big truck would pass me on the curve going in the opposite direction, I was always afraid it would turn over on me.

December 21st, 2007, 6:22 am #7

CopCop
was originally built as a parish office building. More about that is in the Metairie book (which will be in stores on St. Patrick's Day).

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums

December 21st, 2007, 12:32 pm #8

CopCop
I remember if you exited Causeway going southbound there was a loop that spit you out on Jeff Hwy going toward town, and I remember coming from town turning right on Jeff Hwy to catch the entrance to Causeway north, but I don't think we often got on Causeway coming down Jeff from the Harahan side. Since we lived near Clearview and West Metairie, we mostly went back and forth to the area of Jefferson between Causeway and Clearview by going over Central and dealing with the high excitement of would we catch a train on one of the gazillion train tracks that crossed Central.

December 21st, 2007, 2:40 pm #9

was originally built as a parish office building. More about that is in the Metairie book (which will be in stores on St. Patrick's Day).

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
I can't wait for that book.

December 21st, 2007, 5:10 pm #10

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
One of the Traffic Officers had that place for a while, Louis DeCarlo. We useta have pawties there.....y'all shooda seen them antics!

CopCop