Bury my heart at Wounded Knee

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee

June 30th, 2007, 5:58 pm #1

My God! How could we treat a race of people that way?

July 1st, 2007, 7:39 pm #2

July 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm #3

July 1st, 2007, 7:53 pm #4

I guess there was some outsourcing. The US Army did hire some Indian traitors to track other Indians so they could be slaughtered like sheep, then mutilated and scalped. And we called them savages!

July 1st, 2007, 8:48 pm #5

My God! How could we treat a race of people that way?
manifest destiny and government intervention. Bane to mankind. MsRiv has it right...synonymous with corporate greed. My French ancestors cohabited and bred with them. Good trade relations....better plan, IMHO.

"Look, there's no metaphysics on earth like chocolates."
-Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet
(1888-1935)-

July 1st, 2007, 9:28 pm #6

breeding of not that long ago.....What a history we have, us Americans.

July 1st, 2007, 11:08 pm #7

Some of the few friends the natives had!

July 2nd, 2007, 12:28 am #8

on the Gulf Coast with the French founders. No big thing. It cemented relations with the native chiefs who were direly needed for trade. The colonies (French at Mobile and N.O. and Spanish at Pensacola) couldn't survive without the natives. France and Spain were busy with European wars and couldn't supply the colonies. It was a very good thing to have a chief for a father-in-law.

Mr. Lake
Mr. Lake

July 2nd, 2007, 3:07 am #9

Let's not forget the Quadroons in New Orleans who Creole society men were, by most accounts, very happy to intermingle with. This kind of stuff wasn't "highly frowned upon like interacial..." -- by most accounts it was a fact of life during that era.

No doubt the men had every advantage in those relationships but history, for the most part, tells us that the men also cared for (financially and often otherwise) their lovers and their children. It was in no way a perfect (or even good) situation but it was the norm for quite some time. People who rail against New Orleans (and much of Louisiana) as being "racist" haven't a clue about the history.

July 2nd, 2007, 4:10 am #10

the Yankees came down here and took over that all the discord came about. Different culture.

During the Spanish Regime, the slaves could buy their own freedom and run their own businesses (and own slaves, too).

Like you said, nothing is perfect, but it got much worse when the "outsiders" came in.