Beach Comber bar

Beach Comber bar

November 4th, 2007, 7:49 am #1

Question from an alert reader (via email):

"There was a bar back in 1952 somewhere in new orleans called the Beach Comber bar, where was that bar located?"

See http://pontchartrain.net/templates/Syst ... PID=491192 for what I know about this and please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums

November 4th, 2007, 5:37 pm #2

PiL and I both discussed this at length this morning and came to no real conclusion. It vaguely rings a bell, lemme get ahold of some old timers from the PD and see what we can come up with.

November 4th, 2007, 5:47 pm #3

there was a place on Canal Street not too far from the cemeteries but I could be way of.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

November 4th, 2007, 6:12 pm #4

I recall people saying "The Beach Corner?" and the reply, "NO! The Beach COMBER!" PiL thinks it may have been near Beauregard School on Canal Street. I'll try to get ahold of some of the old Mid City barflies for more info.

November 5th, 2007, 6:12 am #5

is the only bar I know of at the end of Canal Street by the cemetaries. They had great burgers and grilled chicken and tuna.

It was the last building on the Delgado side of Canal St before the cemetaries then was the old health food-turned-the herb import store, that small hispanic/coffee place attached and the curve (city park ave) then turns into canal blvd.

November 6th, 2007, 12:02 am #6

Question from an alert reader (via email):

"There was a bar back in 1952 somewhere in new orleans called the Beach Comber bar, where was that bar located?"

See http://pontchartrain.net/templates/Syst ... PID=491192 for what I know about this and please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
I axed a few Mid City friends who grew up in those neighborhoods and they claim that the present day Beach Corner used to be called the Beach Comber during the late 50s, 60s.

November 6th, 2007, 8:48 pm #7

I was either not born, or an infant. I didn't start drinking THAT early.........

November 9th, 2007, 4:21 am #8

I axed a few Mid City friends who grew up in those neighborhoods and they claim that the present day Beach Corner used to be called the Beach Comber during the late 50s, 60s.

called the Beach Corner in 1962 when I went to Beaureguard. We went to the Beach Corner Grill which was next to the bar. Maybe the bar was called "Comber" and the grill was called "Corner". That was many, many, beers ago.