Need assistance w/aicarriers2 setup

A place to discuss all Flying Stations ship creations.

Need assistance w/aicarriers2 setup

SSI01
Officer Cadet
SSI01
Officer Cadet

21 Oct 2016, 22:15 #1

I've downloaded aicarriers2 from the web and after opening the zip file tried using the autoinstaller as it is provided. Of course, it will not "autoinstall." Next step was to consult the manual installation notes in the download. Here's what is says:

Please use automatic installer unless it is failing.

1 - Copy the AICarriers folder to a directory of you choice. Memorize it as
you'll have to write it to a config file later

2 - With a text editor, Edit %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML and add a reference
to aicarriers.exe so that it can be launched when fsx is started.
The file may not exists, so you'll have to create one.
Make sure you write down the correct pathname for aicarriers.exe
An example file is providen, see sample_EXE.xml

Now, I've placed the AICarriers file in G:\Microsoft FSX, that is, the FSX base file.

I've located the FSX EXE.XML file on my computer, and here's what it looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<SimBase.Document version="1,0" Type="Launch">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>EXE.XML</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
</SimBase.Document>

Can someone please take a look at this and tell me where I need to add the reference to aicarriers.exe so it launches when FSX starts? Also, what should the pathname for aicarriers.exe look like? Thank you!

I've got a number of CVs in my FS9 copies but only the Ark, two versions of Victorious and the default carrier in FSX, I'd like to add to that if I could.

DaveB
Commander
DaveB
Commander

22 Oct 2016, 09:13 #2

Hello matey,

Right. I'm not sure if putting it inside the FSX base folder is a good idea. There's enough going on in there without adding something else :D You have FSX on G drive so what I'd do is make another folder on G and call it AICarriers (or whatever you wish) and drop all the AIC bits into it.

Re the exe.xml file.. your post above seems to be missing the path line. Here's what my old copy looks like:

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>AICarriers</Name>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>E:/AICarriers.net/AICarriers.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
<Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Don't worry about the second entry (as_btstrp e t c).. that's Active Sky Next ;)

It's worth noting that you only need the exe.xml entry if you want AIC to load as soon as you start FSX. It can be loaded manually (without the exe.xml entry) by adding a shortcut to AICarriers.exe to your desktop. This is how I use it at present. Doing it this way.. you start FSX in the normal manner and should you wish to play with the ships.. reduce FSX.. double click on the desktop shortcut and Bob's your uncle. The AIC menu will appear in your Addons drop-down.

So have a think about it. See if it works first and if it does and you're happy.. set about adding the exe.xml entry. The choice is yours ;)

ATB
Dave :)