Anyone using P3D, VR and FlyInside?

An informal place to chat about whatever you feel like.

Anyone using P3D, VR and FlyInside?

Airtrooper
Captain

04 May 2017, 21:31 #1

Ahoy shipmates!

Anyone here using P3D with VR (e.g. Rift or Vive) with FlyInside???

If so, I'd be keen to swap notes on virtual classic FAA ops...

Andy

i7-4770K 8Mb OC @ 4.5 GHz, ASUS Z87-PRO, 16GB RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, Oculus Rift CV1, Leap Motion, FlyInside, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro, Buttkicker Gamer

SkippyBing
Rear Admiral
SkippyBing
Rear Admiral

09 May 2017, 19:05 #2

Sketchy had a development unit he borrowed from work which we played around with. Much more immersive than having lots of screens! Spent the first hour or so reaching for switches that weren't really there.
I found it much easier hovering, landing, doing circuit work etc. Gauges were a bit blurry because the dev unit is lower res than the release versions and it was a bit like looking through two toilet rolls as it's quite a narrow field of view. I'm guessing a limit of the optics that focus the image at infinity and it's not a major issues as the central 3 degrees of vision is in high res anyway, but the lack of peripheral colour was a bit odd to start with.
Toying with getting an HTC Vive at some point but I appear to need a roof repairing...

Airtrooper
Captain

09 May 2017, 19:30 #3

Hi Phil,

I got the Rift CV1 a couple of weeks ago, along with a 1080ti. I took the plunge because my TrackIR finally gave up the ghost. I didn't see the point in buying a new one when VR was available. Cost was a big factor though and I only committed to it by 1) buying a 2nd hand Rift CV1 (plenty of barely used ones for sale on eBay, at good prices for those willing to stand their ground and wait); and 2) buying the GPU in installments.

I originally wanted a Vive, but eventually decided against is because:

1) It was cost prohibitive for me (even 2nd hand)
2) The Rift CV1 was deemed to have a slightly sharper display
3) although room-scale VR is an ultimate goal desk-based FS is still my priority, so the advantage of Vive was lost

All-in-all I read a lot about the not-all-its-cracked-up-to-be resolution of both and decided I was still willing to splash-the-cash as a TrackIR "replacement" with a view to being in the market for the 2nd generation VR down the line. This also influenced my choice of a 1080ti over a standard 1080, as it should handle the 2nd generation VR too.

As for the experience... it is simply brilliant! I'm not as bowled over as some, perhaps because I used nVidia 3D glasses with TrackIR for years... which came pretty close, so it is less of an awe inspiring trip for me! I can highly recommend it though.

I've spent a short while flying mostly over land, to find my feet... but now I'm going "feet wet" and checking out some Flying Stations classics. I'm enjoying small heck helo ops off Leanders for instance. One bug with FlyInSide, however, is that ship wakes are rendered 2D, which makes for an odd feeling!

GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, Oculus Rift CV1, Leap Motion, FlyInside, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro, Buttkicker Gamer

SkippyBing
Rear Admiral
SkippyBing
Rear Admiral

14 May 2017, 18:25 #4

Yeah to be honest the main draw for the Vive vs the Rift was due to some of the business decisions Occulus made which seemed to go against their original statements of intent, plus Facebook already has enough on me! I've always had a good experience with phones from HTC as well which is a point in their favour. The whole room VR would be wasted on me though, unless you could use it to walk around the ship's deck in Avatar mode...

Airtrooper
Captain

15 May 2017, 11:02 #5

I've had good experiences with HTC phones as well, which put an extra tick in their box for me too.

I also love the idea of non-desk-based flight simulation. I think avatars in P3D hold a lot of potential. To me there is a LOT more to flight than just being the pilot. For instance, I'm chomping at the bit to be a virtual FDO on a frigate, or on a WWII carrier, batting in a Stringbag! Being a pongo on the ground directing underslung loads, or being the winch operator/load master, are also on my virtual to-do list. For these not being tied to a desk is essential. For this reason I think I will invest in something like the HTC Vive next time round... whatever v2 turns out to be... but for now, at v1 introductory level (waiting for the resolution to improve), the cheaper desk-bound Rift it is.

Airtrooper
Captain

07 Jun 2017, 07:37 #6

VR in Prepar3D v4 works very well "out of the box". Without the need to use FlyInside ship wakes are now rendered in both eyes, meaning maritime ops in VR now look as they should!

The only niggle is there is no option to view pop-up windows, so viewing flight reference cards, GPS, radio stacks and crucially the RFN Gauge, is only possible in the standard 2D VC, not in the 3D VC.

Flying Stations Type 12s look brill in 3D! All we need now is a proper classic FAA helicopter for P3D4... such as the Wasp HAS1!

Andy