With the CBA up this coming September....

With the CBA up this coming September....

Loki
Loki

February 27th, 2012, 8:26 pm #1

let's say you get to dump a contract from the salary cap like the NBA negotiated.

Which one do you lose? Pronger or Bryz?

Freak
Freak

February 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm #2

without question. We can keep Pronger on LTIR, so we can lose them both.

But who says we will only buy out one? Could be a penalty free buyout period, and we could rid ourselves of both.....fingers crossed.

Icer
Icer

February 27th, 2012, 8:33 pm #3

let's say you get to dump a contract from the salary cap like the NBA negotiated.

Pronger isn't costing money AND stifling the team. Pronger is done, his replacement(s) is playing, it's just money. They can't address the goaltending problem until Ed's answer to the goaltending problem is gone.

Pelle31
Pelle31

February 27th, 2012, 9:09 pm #4

Pronged will be ltir so he wouldn't count against the cap

Brett
Brett

February 27th, 2012, 10:33 pm #5

without question. We can keep Pronger on LTIR, so we can lose them both.

But who says we will only buy out one? Could be a penalty free buyout period, and we could rid ourselves of both.....fingers crossed.
I'm pretty sure last time there was a buyout, when the cap was introduced, it was 2/3 of the player's contract with no penalties on the cap. I believe we bought out the remainder of LeClair's deal and perhaps someone else too.

They need to get some sort of control on these contracts. Much like the NBA has done, I would like to see them place a limit on the length of contracts. 6 years would be a nice limit for your average player and probably 3 years on any contracts, including extensions, that begin after a player turns 35. And actually 2 years might suffice, depending on how the penalty would count against your cap should the player retire or be forced to retire due to injury.

And as far as LTIR contracts, I really feel there should be an appeals committee that makes a ruling on each individual player. Pronger for example, suffered injuries (the eye followed by the concussion) that were not recurring problems for him; they were new injuries that could possibly be the end of his career. Something like that should not hinder the cap. If you were to sign a 36 year old player who has had, for example, 2 or 3 injuries on the same knee, to a lengthy contract and he retires after 1 season because of knee issues than the team should be on the hook for that. It would allow teams to sign players to appropriate, and honest, contracts where both parties expect to fulfill the entire contract. It would also cut down on the 10 year deal with guys who will be 45 when the deal is over and is making $750K for the last 3 years after making $7 million for the first 7.

Too many games are being played with contracts, it needs to be revisited.

Freak
Freak

February 28th, 2012, 12:48 am #6

The thing with Pronger is that we can't even buy him out while he's injured can we? I like your point about the injury clause. But the problem with that is that it can be subjective. Especially when it comes to concussions.

But Pronger has had what? Knee and foot history? And he is out indefinitely with a head injury with proof on tape of when he was injured.

There was a buyout clause last CBA...I would like to think the Flyers would be spending some money to get rid of bad contracts. Breezy would have to go. No questioning it. I get the impression he would be happy to be out of the weight of it. I would throw Briere in there too. The remaining amount is 12 million now with only 3 years remaining. @/3rds of that would be 8 million....I would be doing that. I kind of like the way Briere plays when he has a bit of an edge to him, but he just has not shown that side enough in the 5 years he has been here. At 8 million, cap free and we clear up 6 million a year for three years. I think they can do without him, and after a slow start, Schenn has been worth the hype. He is still a rookie, and has less than 50 games in his career. I'd like to see him get more time, Briere is going to be standing in the way of that.

I really think we need to put the push on and just do a proper rebuild...we need to get Schneider out of Vancouver. He has been consistently very good for the last two years, and I think he is a can't miss blue chip goalie prospect. The only reason he will get traded is Luongos contract.
Then again, I've heard it said that Vancouver is one of the teams pushing the league for a penalty free buy out.

I think if we could buy out Briere and Breezy, that is over 11 million in annual savings for the next 3 years. We could add a really good goalie like Schneider, and still have the money to get Suter.

The insanity of the contracts has to stop. A friend of mine was saying that his annual salary is equal to Alexander Ovechkin taking a 2 minute penalty. Humbling to say the least.

Anyhow, if they are going to have a cap, it has to change from what it is today. The lower end teams are now paying a salary that is higher than the average salary was when the cap was introduced. The owner are whining and want a bigger chunk of change. The cap is said to be going up to possible 67 million next year. The players want more money, the league wants more money, It really is a mess, that nobody wants to address it seems. The league is trying to get players salaries rolled back 7%...it could get ugly. The only thing they are agreeing on is that they can't have another strike.

Freak
Freak

February 28th, 2012, 12:55 am #7

He got a 5 million dollar signing bonus, paid out this season.

So the Flyers are paying him 15 million dollars this year for the type of act he brings. Good lord..I thought the signing couldn't get any worse...

Numbers are from capgeek.com.

Loki
Loki

February 28th, 2012, 7:29 pm #8

I'm pretty sure last time there was a buyout, when the cap was introduced, it was 2/3 of the player's contract with no penalties on the cap. I believe we bought out the remainder of LeClair's deal and perhaps someone else too.

They need to get some sort of control on these contracts. Much like the NBA has done, I would like to see them place a limit on the length of contracts. 6 years would be a nice limit for your average player and probably 3 years on any contracts, including extensions, that begin after a player turns 35. And actually 2 years might suffice, depending on how the penalty would count against your cap should the player retire or be forced to retire due to injury.

And as far as LTIR contracts, I really feel there should be an appeals committee that makes a ruling on each individual player. Pronger for example, suffered injuries (the eye followed by the concussion) that were not recurring problems for him; they were new injuries that could possibly be the end of his career. Something like that should not hinder the cap. If you were to sign a 36 year old player who has had, for example, 2 or 3 injuries on the same knee, to a lengthy contract and he retires after 1 season because of knee issues than the team should be on the hook for that. It would allow teams to sign players to appropriate, and honest, contracts where both parties expect to fulfill the entire contract. It would also cut down on the 10 year deal with guys who will be 45 when the deal is over and is making $750K for the last 3 years after making $7 million for the first 7.

Too many games are being played with contracts, it needs to be revisited.
to Pronger and Bryz? It would seem to be that they can get themselves out of the contract and the nine year contract really isn't as such. It would merely cost Ed and Comcast some money and they can then move on to try and find another solution.

Knowing that the CBA was up this September, if Bryz plays like a Vezina Trophy candidate it's not so bad a deal. If he plays like he has for the rest of the season and playoffs, it was simply a one year tryout contract?

Freak
Freak

February 29th, 2012, 12:55 am #9

If it works out that way, lucky break, but in reality, I'd be surprised if the thought even entered either of their minds.

The buy out is not guaranteed, but I am hearing it is gathering steam as there are a lot of teams that would like to dump contracts.

As per Bob Mckenzie, Pierre Lebrun and Pierre Mcqguire. The three of them are guests during the weekdays just after 8 am PST. I have heard this brought up, usually when they are discussing Luongo's contract.

We can hope, but I am not holding my breath.

Also, if Homer and Ed get out of the contract after a year, what have they learned? Nothing, and to top it off, they will probably announce the same day that they traded for a franchise goalie, under contract....and then we will get introduced to Rick Depietro.....lol

This organization never learns.

Brett
Brett

February 29th, 2012, 3:38 am #10

to Pronger and Bryz? It would seem to be that they can get themselves out of the contract and the nine year contract really isn't as such. It would merely cost Ed and Comcast some money and they can then move on to try and find another solution.

Knowing that the CBA was up this September, if Bryz plays like a Vezina Trophy candidate it's not so bad a deal. If he plays like he has for the rest of the season and playoffs, it was simply a one year tryout contract?
My thoughts are hypothetical...the contracts are notarized...

big diff

Confirmation of reply: