Well, that explains a bit...

Well, that explains a bit...

CaliFlyer
CaliFlyer

May 19th, 2012, 4:18 pm #1

Homer updated injury and offseason surgery info this morning. No wonder some guys were having trouble. Those are some tough hombres.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=631393

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 19th, 2012, 11:41 pm #2

Both hands for Giroux...torn stomach for Carle? Ouch. Labrum for VanRim gives excuse, and finger busted for Simmonds explains some things too...

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 20th, 2012, 12:13 am #3

If the playoffs have shown us anything it is that defense win championships. Carle is a turnover machine and easliy knocked off the puck as is Kimmo. Time for them to move on. Homer also needs to replace Pronger somehow and it may not be possible in one guy. He does have some bait!

fff

Freak
Freak

May 20th, 2012, 3:30 pm #4

Homer updated injury and offseason surgery info this morning. No wonder some guys were having trouble. Those are some tough hombres.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=631393
what about all the mental gaffs and braindead plays?
what about the blind passes?

I don't want Carle back, unless he is the #5 dman and takes 2 million/ year...otherwise his inconsistency and shoddy work in his own zone can move elsewhere....

I think we all knew Giroux had wrist issues..

JVR is the poster boy for injuries this year.

Simmonds had a broken finger? for a hockey player, that should not have been enough to throw him off his game like he was.

Loki
Loki

May 20th, 2012, 6:05 pm #5

Tell you what. Go into your garage and hit a finger with a hammer. Then drive to the local rink that has some open hockey going on and then try and do anything while holding the stick.

High pain threshold or not, there is going to be a serious lack of control and screwing up of aiming with a broken finger.

Guess that's why he was scoring goals with his face. Wayne had better control of that than his stick.

CaliFlyer
CaliFlyer

May 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm #6

I don't want Carle back, unless he is the #5 dman and takes 2 million/ year...otherwise his inconsistency and shoddy work in his own zone can move elsewhere....

Simmonds had a broken finger? for a hockey player, that should not have been enough to throw him off his game like he was.
It's constantly there, and it's distracting. With a torn muscle, high threshold of pain or not, you're going to feel it with every step and every movement of the body. Doesn't mean I want them to re-sign Carle for big money, but if he's willing to take less than market, I'd consider keeping the guy.

As to Simmonds, I thought he still brought energy to a lot of his shifts, but he wasn't productive in terms of scoring. The broken finger more than explains it. That also might explain why he was more of a perimeter player against the Devils -- being in tight with lots of slashing and jamming away is going to be a lot more difficult when you can't grip your stick hard.

Freak
Freak

May 20th, 2012, 8:08 pm #7

Tell you what. Go into your garage and hit a finger with a hammer. Then drive to the local rink that has some open hockey going on and then try and do anything while holding the stick.

High pain threshold or not, there is going to be a serious lack of control and screwing up of aiming with a broken finger.

Guess that's why he was scoring goals with his face. Wayne had better control of that than his stick.
A broken finger is not going to stop you from taking the body.
A broken finger is not going to stop you from skating hard.
A broken finger is not going to stop you from planting yourself in front of the net.

I had this argument about Carter after the run to the finals. Some defended his broken feet as the reason he was making dumb passes, and not all the dumb decisions he was making.

The whole team was off in the series against the Devils. Simmonds was too. I was just surprised that all he had was a broken finger

Freak
Freak

May 20th, 2012, 8:16 pm #8

It's constantly there, and it's distracting. With a torn muscle, high threshold of pain or not, you're going to feel it with every step and every movement of the body. Doesn't mean I want them to re-sign Carle for big money, but if he's willing to take less than market, I'd consider keeping the guy.

As to Simmonds, I thought he still brought energy to a lot of his shifts, but he wasn't productive in terms of scoring. The broken finger more than explains it. That also might explain why he was more of a perimeter player against the Devils -- being in tight with lots of slashing and jamming away is going to be a lot more difficult when you can't grip your stick hard.
believe me. More so than I would like.

My point was that the excuse for his crap play was the ab muscle. His play has sucked for the better part of three years. I don't want any sympathy for him, and see him resign...as you watch.. "an elite dman who suffered through an injury to his core"...I have seen it too many times, and the player has never hit expectations when he comes back.

He was not worth the 3+ million he was making last year, and I can see Homer going all out with a 5+ million for at least 5-6.....We are already being conditioned to accept Carle back.

As for Simmonds....I found him to be a disappointment. What he brought from the regular season was not enough, and he did not seem to spark the team at all. I was thinking he might have had a shoulder or core injury, and was surprised that it was only a broken finger.

Icer
Icer

May 21st, 2012, 3:42 pm #9

Wrists and fingers can mess up passes and shots. Shoulders kill your shot speed and height. Core injuries make skating and physical play tough. Hip injuries, skating's gone. Can't set your feet, everything's gone.

Simmonds finger might explain why he missed shots, but not why he was far less aggressive on the forecheck for most of the playoffs. He was incharacteristically soft on the boards. you can immobilize a finger, screws up yor shot but keeps it from hurting until you've already done whatever made it hurt. It still looked to me liek Simmonds did exactly what a young player like him does - got a little overwhelmed by the playoffs.

Carle's problem can explain why he lost position on players, hard to turn, start, stop. But unless his anatomy is strange, the stomach muscle doesn't connect to the head nuscle, and he's been making supid plays and turnovers for a LONG time. Credit for playing through pain, but doesn't change why I don't want him re-signed.

We kind of suspected G had one bad hand. 2? Bone spurs don't happen overight and can limit flexibility. How did he rack up 93 points? He's been done for 2 weeks, and STILL leads the NHL in playoff points. And with 2 bad wrists, he was still one of the most aggressive Flyers (note to Simmonds). But would explain why he was reluctant to shoot, missing the net and losign faceoffs.

JVR's luck is just awful. He came back skating hard, then nearly disappeared. Does that mean he tore the labrum after coming back? Or just couldn't take skating through it anymore? Hard to push yourself to skate through pain when everything around you seems to be failing.

I've played with all kinds of injuries, and it is interesting to find out how an injury to one part of you body can affect something seemingly unrelated. But I have the advantage of having a skill level that means injuries that deplete skills can't reduce my game by much.

Latest one was I thought I had broken my finger early in the game. The correct dislocation diagnosis was made after the game, while I was pushing gear back into my bag and saw one finger pointing back up at me. Did I let that affect my regular 0 point night? Not at all!

Freak
Freak

May 21st, 2012, 4:56 pm #10

a broken finger can limit many things, but soft play for a player who HAS to play that way to be effective is not one of them..

and spot on with Carle...his issues are bigger than the last little bit with a torn muscle. He is not worth the money he will get. See Ville Leino.

Confirmation of reply: