Weber accepts offer sheet from Flyers

Weber accepts offer sheet from Flyers

Pitts
Pitts

July 19th, 2012, 5:04 am #1

Twitter:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

and:

Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet.

Pitts
Pitts

July 19th, 2012, 5:06 am #2

Pitts
Pitts

July 19th, 2012, 5:19 am #3

I'm now reading:
$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks..
$6,268,175 $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third.

Tim55
Tim55

July 19th, 2012, 6:05 am #4

Twitter:

Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!

and:

Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet.
Or take the picks or forced to work out a trade with the Flyers,I had a feeling this was gonna
happened, I said it when they were waiting on Parise & Suter, that they were gonna blow him out
of the water with a offer sheet.Dreger is reporting upwards to 100 mil but wouldnt be suprised if
Its higher than that so nashville wont match,They might be forced to match so they dont lose Weber
& Suter. They wont be losing out completely as they did with Suter though,They will get a bunch of 1st round picks.Its gonna be a long nerve racking 7 days

Sedsey
Sedsey

July 19th, 2012, 6:51 am #5

Twitter:

and:

Well, sign me up on this one. I'd pay those picks to get that player at this stage of both his personal career and the team development.

Stuff like this is the reason why I stick with my team. They are ALWAYS TRYING. We can, and do, argue up and down as to how smart they are in going about it, but passion to win is never in question to me.

I simply cannot believe Nashville would let him go, but if this move somehow makes the Flyers the only likely team to get him if Nashville will part with him, then bravo Homer!

I will flip with joy if we get Weber like this. I would like it so much that I cannot believe it will come true, because it would too great.

Sedsey
Sedsey

July 19th, 2012, 7:08 am #6

Expecting somebody to respond that Nashville could match and trade to somebody else to spite the Flyers, who they surely are not liking right now, I do realize it, but at that contract there is no way they make out with the boatload of assets they want.

UDFlyer
UDFlyer

July 19th, 2012, 11:22 am #7

They can't trade him for a full year. And those contract terms are gonna be togh for most teams to handle.

Brilliant move here.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

July 19th, 2012, 11:23 am #8

Or take the picks or forced to work out a trade with the Flyers,I had a feeling this was gonna
happened, I said it when they were waiting on Parise & Suter, that they were gonna blow him out
of the water with a offer sheet.Dreger is reporting upwards to 100 mil but wouldnt be suprised if
Its higher than that so nashville wont match,They might be forced to match so they dont lose Weber
& Suter. They wont be losing out completely as they did with Suter though,They will get a bunch of 1st round picks.Its gonna be a long nerve racking 7 days
They are paying him 7.5 mil right now so a cap hit of 7.1 is not mind blowing, the 14 yrs is another story. I still see a trade happening I think this helps the Preds GM to get his head out of his azz as he was asking for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

fff

Brett
Brett

July 19th, 2012, 12:39 pm #9

I'm not sure how Nashville does financially, but if the Flyers heavily front loaded it, that could make it difficult for the Predators to match. While I don't think they are in dire straits, I don't think Nashville has the deep pockets that some other teams around the league do.

But the 4 first round picks, at the end of the first round, could be hard for the Preds to deal with. They won't end up seeing any return on him for probably 3 years and that's 1 player at a time. I could see them trying to hash out a trade to keep the team from losing both their defensive anchors with absolutely no immediate return.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

July 19th, 2012, 1:10 pm #10

Twitter:

and:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... sheet.html

In this article, Darren Dreger is quoted as saying "the Flyers made multiple attempts to try and pry Webers rights from Nashville prior to signing him to that mega offer sheet. Apparently, they grew tired of the repeated rebuffs from Nashville general manager David Poile."

Would this not point to some level of collusion between the owners not to deal with other teams' RFAs, or am I reading too much into this? Outy pointed out this possibility earlier due to the lack of RFA offer sheets, and this quote would point more in that general direction. Also, the discussion we had below about Poile's "crazy demands" would have been a non-issue had the Flyers just presented the offer sheet in the first place.

Not that I care one way or the other about owners' and players' agendas, but if I'm the NHLPA, I'm looking into this.

Rob

Confirmation of reply: