We are what we are - it's showing

We are what we are - it's showing

WCF
WCF

May 4th, 2012, 11:02 am #1

Many here thought we would just roll over a team that had only 1 less point than us and for the most part, played us even all year. We laud our forwards, but the big names on the other team are killing us. The Flyers still can't handle tough defensive teams (ala NYR) and the run and gun Tanker series is now just a good memory. Even when beating Pitts, in the back on my mind I kept thinking that all the other series were tough, defensive, low scoring battles with good g-tending. With the exception of Game 6 last series, we have not played that kind of playoff game winning formula.

Someone said NJ is the NYR lite and it' so true. Including this round, what are we like 5-12 against those two teams this year? I knew this series would be difficult first because it's NJ, but also because I saw how they played against Florida and thought, how can our defense play a similar lock-down kind of game when we have a softie like Carle and an ancient LilyPad playing???Where are Simmonds and Hartnell? The support scoring is gone. Now with Couturier out, this series is lost because our Flyers in orange and black can't change their stripes. D and G win in the playoffs, end of story.

Goal #1 this off season has to be to upgrade and toughen this D corps and add a checking forward.

dl
dl

May 4th, 2012, 1:48 pm #2

for saying it for me. Defense wins Champeionships! In the back of your mind...mine too, like when they gave up 10 goals? Much credit is due to this team who is battling hard, after losing 2 of their top 3 dmen, and their 6th or 7th dman in Bourdon. Do that to Jersey, and this series is 3-0 Flyers right now. But hey, it is what it is.

However, ALL is NOT lost. I believe if the Flyers win the next game, they will win the series in 7. The Flyers carried the play at times last night, more so than game two. They lost their momentum woth the layoff, but it appears they have come back, and with their backs to the wall, the next game is it. Last night's game was a toss up, and I think the Flyers can continue to gain that edge in time of possession.

So, the Flyers get the Devils to play their style mostly in game ONE, and the Flyers win.
Devils style in game two the Devils win.
For the most part a slight edge to the Devils in game 3, a close win for the Devils.
The Flyers must find an edge, and it appears they may be getting closer., and game 4 will be the tell tale.

WCF
WCF

May 4th, 2012, 3:09 pm #3

We are on the same page with the D and g-tending or lack thereof for the team. Granted we have D injuries that don't help things. The no Pronger factor has to be put to bed, he won't be coming back and we have to move on. Even having Mezjaros back wouldn't change the style that our D plays, before his injury, he was having a mediocre year. The other thing is Breezy..besides the two periods in game 2 and the 1st period in game one, he has looked very ordinary and gave up a ton of rebounds on easy shots last night. Just about every team has stolen a game or two in these playoffs with their goalies with stand on their headplay. Every team needs that and you can't keep scoring 4-5 goals a game in the playoffs, no team is doing that. The Dweebs won't give up 3+ goals per game.

You have to win a 2-1 game occasionally when your offense just doesnt have it and the Flyers arent getting it, every team has won a couple of games they haven't deserved and their g-tender had a major hand in it. We aren't getting that from our $51 mil man. Hell, we never seem to have that when it counts most!

Icer
Icer

May 4th, 2012, 4:15 pm #4

Many here thought we would just roll over a team that had only 1 less point than us and for the most part, played us even all year. We laud our forwards, but the big names on the other team are killing us. The Flyers still can't handle tough defensive teams (ala NYR) and the run and gun Tanker series is now just a good memory. Even when beating Pitts, in the back on my mind I kept thinking that all the other series were tough, defensive, low scoring battles with good g-tending. With the exception of Game 6 last series, we have not played that kind of playoff game winning formula.

Someone said NJ is the NYR lite and it' so true. Including this round, what are we like 5-12 against those two teams this year? I knew this series would be difficult first because it's NJ, but also because I saw how they played against Florida and thought, how can our defense play a similar lock-down kind of game when we have a softie like Carle and an ancient LilyPad playing???Where are Simmonds and Hartnell? The support scoring is gone. Now with Couturier out, this series is lost because our Flyers in orange and black can't change their stripes. D and G win in the playoffs, end of story.

Goal #1 this off season has to be to upgrade and toughen this D corps and add a checking forward.
The Flyers that "are" have yet to appear with any regularity. When you don't skate and don't battle on the walls, don't go to the tough areas, no matter how goood you are, how well you match up, you lose.

Good chance that's happening because the Flyers understimated the devils. Thought it would be easy, that's a tough rut to break out of. And the style, on the heels of the Pens style, it's making them think and worry insead of playing.

Example: Neutral Zone - chicken or egg? Devils are excellent and fortifying the blue line. With help from backcheckers, it's a tough line to get across. Dump and chase? Not against Broduer. Best way to beat it is to hit the neutral zone from your own end with speed. But when you think it's going to be tough crossing the blue line, you stop and think. No speed, you're toast.

You can use up a dozen Dry-Erase markers on it to no avail. The only way to fix it is to just decide to take your game to them, with gusto. No more pausing in the neutral zone, no more getting stood up at the blue line.

The Devils-Rangers-Boston style is toughest on the Flyers. But the devils can be beat, if teh Flyers play hard.

WCF
WCF

May 4th, 2012, 5:50 pm #5

the play hard part is something that has been elusive all year and most teams experience this. Problem is the hallmark of our boys this year has been the wild fluctuations in their play from period to period. It happened in the Tanker series too, but it because a track meet and we simply outscored them. The Flyers have never, ever (exluding the Cup years) been able to consistently handle systems/teams that play a tough, hardnosed defensive style. I too really thought we would win this series, but our core D and G problems are being exposed. This feels like the 2000 ECF, just add 12 years.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

May 4th, 2012, 7:51 pm #6

The Flyers that "are" have yet to appear with any regularity. When you don't skate and don't battle on the walls, don't go to the tough areas, no matter how goood you are, how well you match up, you lose.

Good chance that's happening because the Flyers understimated the devils. Thought it would be easy, that's a tough rut to break out of. And the style, on the heels of the Pens style, it's making them think and worry insead of playing.

Example: Neutral Zone - chicken or egg? Devils are excellent and fortifying the blue line. With help from backcheckers, it's a tough line to get across. Dump and chase? Not against Broduer. Best way to beat it is to hit the neutral zone from your own end with speed. But when you think it's going to be tough crossing the blue line, you stop and think. No speed, you're toast.

You can use up a dozen Dry-Erase markers on it to no avail. The only way to fix it is to just decide to take your game to them, with gusto. No more pausing in the neutral zone, no more getting stood up at the blue line.

The Devils-Rangers-Boston style is toughest on the Flyers. But the devils can be beat, if teh Flyers play hard.
That is, we are exactly what we are showing, and have been for many years now.

We've been having the consistency discussion since the end of the lockout. We've changed the faces, both players and coaches, but still, for whatever reason, keep coming back to the lack of consistency and the excuse of youth (which I believe is the crutch of the Flyers - the youth argument).

As I was watching the game last night, I, as some others here on the Forum, was wondering where the leadership was hiding? Guys like Briere, Coburn, Hartnell, and Timonen, the players with the longest tenure as Flyers, have to be relied upon when the going gets tough, but I'm just not seeing them rise to the occasion. As Outland pointed out, Briere has a ton of points, but is a minus 7... hardly stellar when you stop and think about it.

But as was mentioned, players and coaches have been changed, yet we still see the same inconsistencies. What and where is the Flyers' flaw?

And before everyone decides to pile on, there have been improvements in the overall play displayed this season, but again, we see the players falling into the Flyer Funk.

Rob

WCF
WCF

May 4th, 2012, 8:08 pm #7

You make many good points and this consistency thing has long and deep roots. When you think about these supposed team leaders, none of these guys are GREAT in terms of others following their lead by their stellar on-ice performance. We have a bunch of good players and a few on the verge of greatness, but the steady vets who should set the tone, don't, for the most part, lead by example.

Icer
Icer

May 4th, 2012, 8:16 pm #8

That is, we are exactly what we are showing, and have been for many years now.

We've been having the consistency discussion since the end of the lockout. We've changed the faces, both players and coaches, but still, for whatever reason, keep coming back to the lack of consistency and the excuse of youth (which I believe is the crutch of the Flyers - the youth argument).

As I was watching the game last night, I, as some others here on the Forum, was wondering where the leadership was hiding? Guys like Briere, Coburn, Hartnell, and Timonen, the players with the longest tenure as Flyers, have to be relied upon when the going gets tough, but I'm just not seeing them rise to the occasion. As Outland pointed out, Briere has a ton of points, but is a minus 7... hardly stellar when you stop and think about it.

But as was mentioned, players and coaches have been changed, yet we still see the same inconsistencies. What and where is the Flyers' flaw?

And before everyone decides to pile on, there have been improvements in the overall play displayed this season, but again, we see the players falling into the Flyer Funk.

Rob
is a bit misleading. He scores a lot of those points on the PP. Those don't count as pluses, but they do count as game winners.

Not everybody can do it all. I'll take his even strength defensive liability in return for his clutch scoring.

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 4th, 2012, 11:14 pm #9

You make many good points and this consistency thing has long and deep roots. When you think about these supposed team leaders, none of these guys are GREAT in terms of others following their lead by their stellar on-ice performance. We have a bunch of good players and a few on the verge of greatness, but the steady vets who should set the tone, don't, for the most part, lead by example.
I'll say that for the third or fourth time in the last 24 hours. He is seen to be wincing on the ice and he definitely is missing his burst. He is the leader but is hobbled.

Yes, some of these other guys should fill the void, but it is obvious that nobody ever listens to Timonen or Briere.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

May 4th, 2012, 11:58 pm #10

is a bit misleading. He scores a lot of those points on the PP. Those don't count as pluses, but they do count as game winners.

Not everybody can do it all. I'll take his even strength defensive liability in return for his clutch scoring.
Can we say he elevates the play of those around him?

That was the crux of my argument... there is a lack of leadership on the ice for the Flyers. Is a player of Briere's stature part of the focus issue these Flyers continually experience?

Rob

Confirmation of reply: