watching last night;s game....

watching last night;s game....

dl
dl

May 15th, 2012, 5:36 pm #1

one can clerly see that the successful teams use a very agressive defense. In comparison, the Flyers are a very passive team defensively.

Last night there were opportunitites for the Devils who took advantage of this agressiveness, but they were thwarted by good backchecking or the goalie.
The Devils forced to be even more agressive as they fell behind, did not fair as well.

With that said, look for the same type of game with (unlike the Flyers), the First goal being scored in this series very key.

But again overall, EVERY rush is challenged by both defenses, unlike our sagging Flyers team, who too often allow the puck to be skated into the zone. Another very noticeble factor is how quick the puck is moved when it is dumbed in. Again I noticed in the Flyers series, that there were WAY too many times that when the Flyers did get the puck, they held it so long until they were engaged by a Devil. And Finally, watch that these teams WILL bring the puck up the middle and NOT ALWAYS up the boards. Ok, so there were maybe 3 times the Flyers did NOT clear the puck from their zone along the boards.

To me this is NOT a matter of personnell, as much as it is a PHILOSOPHY. And until they Flyers find either a defensive coach or a head coach, that promotes this style of play, and NOT the sagging defense style, I believe they will always be chasing.

WCF
WCF

May 15th, 2012, 5:46 pm #2

You said it all and it's so obvious that the Flyers "philosophy" and approach is light years away from this winning formula. If they don't make decent strides to improve this tattered defense AND make the forwards accountable for their lack of a forecheck, they will not beat these polar opposite kinds of teams.

Icer
Icer

May 15th, 2012, 6:58 pm #3

one can clerly see that the successful teams use a very agressive defense. In comparison, the Flyers are a very passive team defensively.

Last night there were opportunitites for the Devils who took advantage of this agressiveness, but they were thwarted by good backchecking or the goalie.
The Devils forced to be even more agressive as they fell behind, did not fair as well.

With that said, look for the same type of game with (unlike the Flyers), the First goal being scored in this series very key.

But again overall, EVERY rush is challenged by both defenses, unlike our sagging Flyers team, who too often allow the puck to be skated into the zone. Another very noticeble factor is how quick the puck is moved when it is dumbed in. Again I noticed in the Flyers series, that there were WAY too many times that when the Flyers did get the puck, they held it so long until they were engaged by a Devil. And Finally, watch that these teams WILL bring the puck up the middle and NOT ALWAYS up the boards. Ok, so there were maybe 3 times the Flyers did NOT clear the puck from their zone along the boards.

To me this is NOT a matter of personnell, as much as it is a PHILOSOPHY. And until they Flyers find either a defensive coach or a head coach, that promotes this style of play, and NOT the sagging defense style, I believe they will always be chasing.
for a few mnutes, after they picked up Grossman and Kubina. They played aggressive D, Bryz set a shutout record, then after he got hurt they completely forgot it.

I wasn't overly concerned with not standing up at the blue line in the regular season, interference rules made thet pretty tough to do. But they started allowing it in the playoffs, Flyers didn't adjust.

The other 2 points are spot on, been going on for years, and make no sense. ISTM the reason to hold the puck so long is to make those big outlet passes. Which means the forward gap is so big that the wings aren't in position to help the clear up the boards. But you can't send it up the middle if anyone is there, you have to hold the puck long enough that the only clear is up the boards - with no wing help. The whole plan is self defeating and just creates turnovers. And that seems to be the system, since new D men come in, play well, and within weeks become turnover machines.

I wonder if it would help to bring in a D minded assistant?

dl
dl

May 15th, 2012, 8:21 pm #4

that Larry Robinson is the Defensive Coach of a successfully employed defense, with a Rookie Head Coach.

TimZ
TimZ

May 15th, 2012, 11:14 pm #5

as long as the concussion symptoms are an issue.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

May 15th, 2012, 11:35 pm #6

that Larry Robinson is the Defensive Coach of a successfully employed defense, with a Rookie Head Coach.
I get your point, but DeBoer did coach the Panthers before coming to New Jersey.

I'll spare you the smiley this time.

Rob

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 16th, 2012, 12:15 am #7

My ire was raised by the lack of strategy employed in the Devils series and I believe the team has a higher capability than what was shown. I am getting tired of the Laviolette "turn the other cheek" promotion of figure skating over aggressive forechecking and stand up defence.

The Flyers never proved they could play beneath the faceoff dots in either end and that will continue to be a question until they answer it with action. Nobody will ever win the Cup again playing purely run and gun.

dl
dl

May 16th, 2012, 1:00 am #8

I get your point, but DeBoer did coach the Panthers before coming to New Jersey.

I'll spare you the smiley this time.

Rob
they may not of been. I'm glad you got my drift....I meant to say a first year coach (for the Devils). All I knew about the guy is the last two years, FLORIDA was horrible, and he was fired before the end of his contract. Eveidently Lou, saw something in him.

In either cas, if I was hired to coach an NHL team, I would rather have a Larry Robinson and an Adam Oates, than a Kevin McCarthy and a Craig Berube.....actually I'd take Outtie and WCF .

Outland
Outland

May 16th, 2012, 1:54 am #9

It's always best to set your sights low because it makes it easier to hit the mark!

You might be insulting Windy by mentioning him with me in the same sentence.

I think Pete DeBoer would have been fine in Florida if a guy like Dale Tallon had been his GM. DeBoer was Mike Richards coach in juniors and he was named coach of the year in the OHL a couple of times.

Outs

WCF
WCF

May 16th, 2012, 12:36 pm #10

Just an honor to be mentioned in the same breath as the great and omnipotent Outster! We could do a better job escpedially considering they have a genius like Berube behind the bench!

I think that is the other BIG problem with the Flyers, they don't or can't select decent coaches that prove their worth, case in point is the teflon-coated Jeff Reese. G-tending is the focus year after year, but do you see Mr. Reese improving his charges???? I wish Bernie would change his mind and coach again, he had a great one in Pelle L., but his death made him stop coaching for good.

Confirmation of reply: