ummmm....excuse me......

ummmm....excuse me......

dl
dl

July 2nd, 2012, 12:54 pm #1

but statistically speaking, Suter and Carle's stats are WAY too close for the DANLINE to get excited about. Am I missing something???? Is this the usual, the GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER???

I'm sorry, but over another MIL to Parise and sign Carle. Take the extra bucks and sign Paranteau. We are still a tough Playoff type forward short.

dl
dl

July 2nd, 2012, 1:04 pm #2

Paranteau is gone, and the Flyers forwards are NO better at this point than last year. Actually worse with the OLD MAN gone. Something better be coming down the pike, or Katie BAR the DOOR.

Freak
Freak

July 2nd, 2012, 2:17 pm #3

but statistically speaking, Suter and Carle's stats are WAY too close for the DANLINE to get excited about. Am I missing something???? Is this the usual, the GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER???

I'm sorry, but over another MIL to Parise and sign Carle. Take the extra bucks and sign Paranteau. We are still a tough Playoff type forward short.
Suter does it all..he hits, has hit over 30 points 5 times in a row, and most of all is not a turn over machine like Carle.

He is a true top pairing dman, unlike Carle who would be a #3 at best. Carle is going to end up gettting between 5.25 and 5.5 a year. If the current numbers are right (12 years and 80 million), then Suters numbers would be at 6.6 million.

That is a huge step up at defence for a million bucks.

Parise is interesting...would that make Briere expendable? The salaries would be almost the same.

Don't like the 12 year terms we are hearing, but the two of them are top flite UFA's, just entering their prime, and with Kimmo finished next year, and we could dump Briere to a team who wants a big cap hit, with little payout, as his next 2 years after this one are 3 mil, and 2 mill respectively.

I wonder if we get Suter, if Kimmo might be traded to free up enough space to sign Jake?

Going to be interesting to say the least, and personally, I would be shocked if we got either one of them.

But I have always been a pessimist.

Outland
Outland

July 2nd, 2012, 3:16 pm #4

Suter is better than Carle just as a younger Timonen was better than Carle. If anyone, Suter's stats might be closer to what Timonen has done in his career than what Matt Carle has. You might find this a bit amazing but over the last 4 years, Timonen has 80 more registered 'hits' than Suter does. Maybe Suter has the rep for being a body seeker but apparently he doesn't always find? I thought it interesting especially when I have been all over Timonen for being somewhat of a featherweight in his own end for years.

6.33 mil was a horrendous ammount to spend per year on Kimmo who I always thought was no better than a nice #2-#3 to complement a better D man. Apparently so did the Flyers as they pursued Pronger. Anyway, that Timonen $ number will be more for Suter. The number for the Flyer offer said between 80 and 100 mil for 12 years. That means 6.67 mil to 8.33 mil a year and the higher the cap number gets the less I'd want Suter.

My bottom line - Suter's an improvement over anything the Flyers now have but he's also not a young Pronger nor is he on the same level as Weber or Chara. Nice player but one that really hasn't played away from a real great partner nor shown that he can dominate and change a game with his own actions. Carle might actually be the better deal on a bang for the buck basis but that's neither here nor there. I'm willing to let an over expensive Carle walk and enter next year with what we have on the roster or sign him and dump off Timonen who I think Carle is better than at this point in time. In any case, it appears Homer might have to work the phones.

Out(Caveat Emptor?)land

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 2nd, 2012, 5:26 pm #5

period

Freak
Freak

July 2nd, 2012, 5:55 pm #6

He has not come out and said he doesn't want to come here, in fact he did come out and dispute a report that he didn't want to play here.

I assume this is based on your opinion.

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 2nd, 2012, 6:01 pm #7

from the time this all started months ago.....he has pretty much ruled out any team in the east from the get go..

Freak
Freak

July 2nd, 2012, 6:20 pm #8

and really, Detroit is in the East, but were stuck in the west for even amounts of teams in each conference.

Both Suter and their agent came out a week before the draft and said they would consider eastern teams.

In my opinion, Suter doesn't want to leave Nashville, and this is all a show to get Nashville to pony up.

Why even takes offers from eastern teams if you have no interest in going there?

I can't see him going to Detroit, as he would be viewed as the replacement for Lidstrom, and he doesn't want that. Noone would..those are big shoes.

What teams in the west are interested?

Minnesota? Nashville? Detroit?

Can't see Minnesota being a real destination, as he might as well stay with Nashville.

In summary, I don't buy the west only stuff. If he wanted to stay in the west, he'd stay with Nashville. They are a good team, solid goalie, and the only NHL team he knows.

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 2nd, 2012, 6:37 pm #9

that was one of the east teams.....saw that mentioned a few times

Freak
Freak

July 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm #10

I don't buy that..it sounds like Pittsburgh propaganda to me

We'll see where he goes, but I would be shocked if he left Nashville.

Pitts did make an offer at the draft for Suter, and it was rejected.

Confirmation of reply: