uh oh, Mez has torn Achilles, out indefinitely

uh oh, Mez has torn Achilles, out indefinitely

BwB
BwB

August 7th, 2012, 1:23 pm #1

Had surgery this morning, a mediocre defense just got a lot worse.

Philadelphia Flyers
INJURY NEWS: GM Paul Holmgren on (D) Andrej Meszaros: "Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon."
9:10am - 7 Aug 12

josh
josh

August 7th, 2012, 2:23 pm #2

to snag john carlson from the caps? He's a rfa...eats up loads of minutes and is pretty offensively minded

Icer
Icer

August 7th, 2012, 3:55 pm #3

Philadelphia Flyers
INJURY NEWS: GM Paul Holmgren on (D) Andrej Meszaros: "Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon."
that's an injury that never recovers, very few athletes come back close to their former levels. The only hope is that it's different for hockey players with a good stiff boot taking pressure off the tendon. Even if he recovers, he'll miss pretty much the whole season.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm #4

Philadelphia Flyers
How did this happen? Was it something nagging him for a while and it finally tore? Holy Lousy Defense, talk about the black cloud hanging over this bunch. OK, so they lose both Carle and Mez for the season, so how does this defense keep pucks away from Bryz?? Gonna be a long year with losses on D and O not being replaced/improved this off-season.

Icer
Icer

August 7th, 2012, 5:39 pm #5

Carle out, Schenn in.

JVR out, Fedotenko in.

Jagr out, he was useless by halfway through the season.

Losing Mez is the only real issue. But expect some of teh other D-kids to improve over last year

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

August 7th, 2012, 6:29 pm #6

I think people forget that we acquired Luke Schenn since we missed out on Weber.

I do think Jagr will be missed, no matter how much he tailed off at the end of the season. He did log significant PP time, and his locker room presence seems to be overlooked quite a bit.

Meszaros now becomes a big issue as he was to be relied upon in a greater role.

Yes, the kids on defense should improve, but what about the possibility a sophomore slump from Couturier and Brayden Schenn?

We're going into the season with a lot of ifs, just like last season. Last year's team overcame, and to some extent, overachieved. Let's hope we get more of the same this upcoming season.

Rob

Icer
Icer

August 7th, 2012, 7:59 pm #7

I'm just guessing here, but...

I don't see a soph slump from Coots, he just seems to smart, and he'll be moved up to a more offensive role this year. Schenn, didn't really have a frosh year, with all the issues, I'm hoping he feels the need to prove something. Read will probably slump, Simmonds, too, though he's not really a sophmore. But I do expect Briere and Bryzy to improve from their career worsts, G is still rising, If Jake decides to take on the role waiting for him, he'll be much better. Grossman should improve getting healthy and used to his new team. Hartnell? No guessing him.

All just conjecture, but overall I expect a team that played suprisingly well for their youth to benefit from last year's experience and be a bit better. But Losing Mez leaves a big hole in that plan. He was one I saw making a significant leap forward.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 8th, 2012, 2:01 pm #8

That would be a blessing, make it a season long lockout because this team is gonna stank big time. Only one great player (G) with a bunch of mediocre scrubs, bad D and sketchy mad Russian g-tender. Wow this team is a mess.

Icer
Icer

August 8th, 2012, 4:54 pm #9

if it's that bad that you don't want hockey to exist, just stop watching it. Problem fixed!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 8th, 2012, 5:46 pm #10

Dude, it's the Flyers that will be hard to watch, so wait until next off season when Homey tries to get some of the decent free agents that will be up for grabs.

Confirmation of reply: