Time for the worry beads??

Time for the worry beads??

WCF
WCF

May 2nd, 2012, 11:43 am #1

I just knew this was not going to be a cakewalk because the games against these two have been pretty even all year (4-4 vs eachother now) and we did not roll over them. Despite being tied, we have been outscored at home by 5-7 and have only 4 regulation goals so far. Like during the regular season, we have been unable to shake this pox of a team that looks like it has the Flyers number, AGAIN. NJ plays with discipline, patience and structure. No matter how the Flyers seem to be dominating a game, NJ rarely lets the Flyers get away from them and steadily increases pressure and gets high quality chances. They force dump and chase and employ a trap that frustrates teams and the Flyers played right into their hands.

We still may win this series, but unless we start generating some even strength goals and play stronger on both ends, we are in for some serious trouble.

OutL
OutL

May 2nd, 2012, 2:07 pm #2

What goes up must come down?

Sports teams do that and right now the Flyer team that had reached a very high peak seems to be struggling as they descend off the summit. The good news is they are in Round 2 and are tied 1-1. Worse news is they've now lost 3 of their last 5 and haven't looked good in a couple of them.

I don't believe losing home ice is that much of a big deal but losing the way they did could be. They've shown they always manage to bounce back but we have seen a few times this year where things just dry up and don't go well for a few games. A few games in the playoffs means death. And golf.

Time to get back to work.

Outs

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm #3

I just knew this was not going to be a cakewalk because the games against these two have been pretty even all year (4-4 vs eachother now) and we did not roll over them. Despite being tied, we have been outscored at home by 5-7 and have only 4 regulation goals so far. Like during the regular season, we have been unable to shake this pox of a team that looks like it has the Flyers number, AGAIN. NJ plays with discipline, patience and structure. No matter how the Flyers seem to be dominating a game, NJ rarely lets the Flyers get away from them and steadily increases pressure and gets high quality chances. They force dump and chase and employ a trap that frustrates teams and the Flyers played right into their hands.

We still may win this series, but unless we start generating some even strength goals and play stronger on both ends, we are in for some serious trouble.
That was the absolute best NJ could do vs pretty much as bad as the Flyers could be.

Icer
Icer

May 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm #4

What goes up must come down?

Sports teams do that and right now the Flyer team that had reached a very high peak seems to be struggling as they descend off the summit. The good news is they are in Round 2 and are tied 1-1. Worse news is they've now lost 3 of their last 5 and haven't looked good in a couple of them.

I don't believe losing home ice is that much of a big deal but losing the way they did could be. They've shown they always manage to bounce back but we have seen a few times this year where things just dry up and don't go well for a few games. A few games in the playoffs means death. And golf.

Time to get back to work.

Outs
Yes, they've lost 3 of 5, but look at circumstances. Up 3-0 in a very emotional and tough series, of course they slacked off some. Then when they decided enough was enough, they went out and dominated and demoralized the cup favorite Pens. I think it was very telling that they didn't wait until game 7 to decide. Game 1, rust was shaken off, then they dominated the Devils. Game 2 with a strong start - ahh, but the trap. Not the one in the Neutral Zone, the one in their heads. They are pretty solid favorites to beat the Devils in less than 7, Kovy's out, they had shown they could dominate 2 nights previous..... get up a goal and feel full of themselves....... like an apple from a tree...

I hear Laviolette on the radio this morning. He actually seemed pretty OK with the loss, maybe even moreso because of how it happened. He pointed out this IS a really young team, not fully understanding how to handle the highs and lows of a LONG playoff season. He talked about how every team in the playoffs throws out a few stinkers. But why he seemed OK with it was that they are doing it early, almost a pressure relief valve to keep it from overwhelming them by June. And, they've show an ability to respond to those self inflicted slaps in the face.

I tend to agree, it's almost better that they don't just run through the devils in 4 easy games. A young team needs the come-uppance, this team responds to adversity better than success. It's not like the Devils showed anything to fear, they will only win if the Flyers let them.

If anything, they wasted a poor performance by Broduer at the same time they wasted a great performance by Bryz. Not often a goalie thoroughly outplays his counterpart and loses 4-1.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Expect a big bounce.

Icer
Icer

May 2nd, 2012, 4:34 pm #5

That was the absolute best NJ could do vs pretty much as bad as the Flyers could be.
I wasn't upset by the loss.

Though I do think the Flyers could be worse. For all the worry about the Devils forecheck, the Flyers D wasn't in full Santa Claus mode, like we've seen in the past. Plenty of giveaways, but we've seen worse. But the offense was easily at it's worst.

But it was the worst you'll see this series. It's far easier to fix that then it will be for the Devils to keep up the pace they played last night.

Confirmation of reply: