This week in concussions

This week in concussions

Brett
Brett

January 21st, 2012, 9:18 pm #1

Now Briere out indefinitely with a concussion.

Instead of a defenseman, can we make a trade for some better helmets?

Sedsey
Sedsey

January 21st, 2012, 9:29 pm #2

Jagr and Rinaldo also left the game...another day, another injury...it is league wide...

Con Firm Ed
Con Firm Ed

January 22nd, 2012, 1:20 am #3

Yep Briere is concussed

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 22nd, 2012, 2:42 am #4

This is getting beyond unreal, how and why are so many of the star players on this team getting dizzified? Isn,t that 5 or more this year alone? Teams can play these guys tough because no fear of retribution exists. Our guys have become sitting ducks.

Outland
Outland

January 22nd, 2012, 3:57 am #5

Too many good players thruout the league are being put on the sidelines and the NHL continues to ignore the gravity of the situation. Apparently, the players can't be trusted to do what is right and maybe it's time to make full helmets with air bladders inserts in them and face cages manadatory and let them scream and yell all they want. Head and facial injuries would dwindle.

I used to think that just getting rid of the instigator rule would be enough so the players could police themselves but now I believe that the game has changed far too much for that simple move to really have the full desired effect. Still, removing that rule would be doing something proactive for a change.

Outs

Loki
Loki

January 22nd, 2012, 3:59 pm #6

And the players should have to wear a higher quality mouthguard. Half of the ones you see dangling out of their mouths during the games look like the crap ones you get at the SkateZone for ninety-nine cents.

And, again, whatever happened to the Messier initiative and the new helmet that was supposed to be developed?

Elbows to the head should get a mandatory fifteen game suspension and the team should be fined as well. Start taking money out of the owners' pockets and maybe things would change a bit. Oh, yea....that'll happen, right?

Pelle31
Pelle31

January 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm #7

Too many good players thruout the league are being put on the sidelines and the NHL continues to ignore the gravity of the situation. Apparently, the players can't be trusted to do what is right and maybe it's time to make full helmets with air bladders inserts in them and face cages manadatory and let them scream and yell all they want. Head and facial injuries would dwindle.

I used to think that just getting rid of the instigator rule would be enough so the players could police themselves but now I believe that the game has changed far too much for that simple move to really have the full desired effect. Still, removing that rule would be doing something proactive for a change.

Outs
against equipment changes? I don't get it.

The players aren't respecting each other so that isn't working.

The league doesn't seem to care because the money is still rolling in.

SOMEONE needs to take control of the situation and get something done before the media jumps on it and paints the league in a bad way. The main streamers love to do it so why do they give them the ammo?

dumb

Icer
Icer

January 23rd, 2012, 5:15 pm #8

And the players should have to wear a higher quality mouthguard. Half of the ones you see dangling out of their mouths during the games look like the crap ones you get at the SkateZone for ninety-nine cents.

And, again, whatever happened to the Messier initiative and the new helmet that was supposed to be developed?

Elbows to the head should get a mandatory fifteen game suspension and the team should be fined as well. Start taking money out of the owners' pockets and maybe things would change a bit. Oh, yea....that'll happen, right?
they're on the market, the 3rd (I think) generation is coming out in a few weeks. After all these hits, I'm actually looking into buying one. Rpoblem is, it's hard to do testing to conclusively prove they reduce concussions. Measurement equipment and concussion understanding just isn't up to the task. Some common sense is, however.

I've tried one on. The slight weight increase isn't noticeable. What is noteceable is the fit. VERY comfortable. No "hot spots", it fits snug, but with even pressure everywhere. Meaning it's spreading out the forces of a hit over larger areas. Though that doesn't really stop the brain from sloshing around inside the skull. A good fit though, does stop the extra slap of the helmet moving. The shell casting is a honeycomb, which does absorb initial impact better. I'd like to see all the edges gone, more like those old Jofa hats, allowing object to deflect away easier.

But I haven't seen pros wearing them. And lots of reviews knock stars off for the "ugly" adjuster in the back. Great reason to not buy a helmet?

Icer
Icer

January 23rd, 2012, 5:37 pm #9

Now Briere out indefinitely with a concussion.

Instead of a defenseman, can we make a trade for some better helmets?
I was away this weekend, so all I got were reports after the fact. Word is Briere isn't even sure when he got the concussion, there was a series of head shots he took in the third.

And still nothing about Talbot taking that hit to the face at full speed.

I thought the league wanted to address the head shots?

Confirmation of reply: