So now what?

So now what?

Brett
Brett

June 24th, 2012, 2:53 pm #1

I originally thought the team would either have a deal lined up to bring Carle back, which is still possible, or look to add a free agent defenseman. We have five defensemen now all with hefty contracts. We're also down 2 of our top 6 forwards, both wings. Here are just some rough lines I threw together:

Voracek-Giroux-Hartnell
Schenn-Briere-Read
Simmonds-Couturier-Harry Z
Wellwood-Talbot-Rinaldo

While certainly not a bad unit, a top 6 wing would fill out the lines nicely...bump Zolnierczyk to the 4th line and Wellwood to the AHL. It would also make the 3rd line a lot more effective if Read or Schenn are dropped down to play with Couturier.

Do they make a run at Parise? It seems they have the cap space to make it interesting, the defense has been addressed and it would really make the offense potent. A lot of teams will be in on him, so that certainly isn't a move to count on.

I'd like to see them pursue Justin Schultz as our final starting defenseman...he would be on an entry level deal so cap space would remain. And with him, try to find a forward with some offensive flair. Parenteau from the Isles would be a nice, sensible addition.

dl
dl

June 24th, 2012, 7:02 pm #2

there is little doubt in my mind, that your list of four lines is not going to be as productive as this year. I think PH needs a top forward to add into that mix.

Their defense is in the best shape that I have seen at this time of the year. JVR brought a RH Physical dman that both qualitites were much needed. But isn't it Ironic, that although no one can truly argue their D is in great shape, their offense is all about ??????????????

Call me pessimistic if you like, but there are way too many forwards on this team, that the Flyers brass are hoping have their best year.
Didn't they just trade a guy that they feel was not going to reach his potential. Again Ironic that he was the best offensive threat of all the ?????????remaining.

So, the trick is to add a Bobby Ryan or similiar, for some real credibility to this list of forwards!!!!
No, I don't have the answer, but it is NOT Jagr.

So, do they sign Carle to trade later is ONE scenario with the SECOND being, were the draft choices for Bob, to be used in the future for a stud forward? OR THIRD, will they wait until the end of the trade deadline, and find a steal?

Brett
Brett

June 24th, 2012, 7:45 pm #3

If we roll out the younger players and see who takes off during the course of the season, it may be best for the team long term. Or it could force the team to play a little more disciplined and try to win 3-2 instead of 5-4. While I prefer pursuing a UFA and surrendering no players or picks for one, I also don't want them to throw money at a guy just because they have the cap space to do it. Players will come available and that may be the best option.

Hopefully they play it smart and make a competitive run at Parise, if he signs elsewhere so be it. Don't destroy to cap by overpaying for him.

MachoFlyer
MachoFlyer

June 24th, 2012, 8:42 pm #4

there is little doubt in my mind, that your list of four lines is not going to be as productive as this year. I think PH needs a top forward to add into that mix.

Their defense is in the best shape that I have seen at this time of the year. JVR brought a RH Physical dman that both qualitites were much needed. But isn't it Ironic, that although no one can truly argue their D is in great shape, their offense is all about ??????????????

Call me pessimistic if you like, but there are way too many forwards on this team, that the Flyers brass are hoping have their best year.
Didn't they just trade a guy that they feel was not going to reach his potential. Again Ironic that he was the best offensive threat of all the ?????????remaining.

So, the trick is to add a Bobby Ryan or similiar, for some real credibility to this list of forwards!!!!

So, do they sign Carle to trade later is ONE scenario with the SECOND being, were the draft choices for Bob, to be used in the future for a stud forward? OR THIRD, will they wait until the end of the trade deadline, and find a steal?
Hartnell Giroux Paranteau (18 goals and 49 assists) replaces Jagr
Voracek Schenn Briere
Talbot Guastadt Simmonds
Rinaldo Couterier Read

I like what Gausdadt brings to this team physically and Paranteau has shown he can produsce on a top line with the Islanders. This gives us a solid 4 lines and with Schenn on the defensive side a much more physical team.

MachoFlyer
MachoFlyer

June 24th, 2012, 8:44 pm #5

Voracek Schenn Briere
Talbot Guastadt Simmonds
Rinaldo Couterier Read

I like what Gausdadt brings to this team physically and Paranteau has shown he can produsce on a top line with the Islanders. This gives us a solid 4 lines and what a checking line with that 3rd line. That group could shut down alot of teams top lines. And with Schenn on the defensive side a much more physical team.

Loki
Loki

June 24th, 2012, 9:46 pm #6

The kid from Jersey.

Outland
Outland

June 24th, 2012, 11:11 pm #7

I originally thought the team would either have a deal lined up to bring Carle back, which is still possible, or look to add a free agent defenseman. We have five defensemen now all with hefty contracts. We're also down 2 of our top 6 forwards, both wings. Here are just some rough lines I threw together:

Voracek-Giroux-Hartnell
Schenn-Briere-Read
Wellwood-Talbot-Rinaldo

While certainly not a bad unit, a top 6 wing would fill out the lines nicely...bump Zolnierczyk to the 4th line and Wellwood to the AHL. It would also make the 3rd line a lot more effective if Read or Schenn are dropped down to play with Couturier.

Do they make a run at Parise? It seems they have the cap space to make it interesting, the defense has been addressed and it would really make the offense potent. A lot of teams will be in on him, so that certainly isn't a move to count on.

I'd like to see them pursue Justin Schultz as our final starting defenseman...he would be on an entry level deal so cap space would remain. And with him, try to find a forward with some offensive flair. Parenteau from the Isles would be a nice, sensible addition.
Every move Holmgren made so far has been cap money related. Bob goes and they take nothing back. JVR is half a mil more expensive than Schenn. Jagr's odds of being resigned have steadily decreased and that too means more money to use.

Some don't like the move to get Luke Schenn but the bottom line is the kid is what has been asked for: defensive minded D man with size, attitude, aggression and a right handed shot. He won't be a savior but he has a good chance to be better just because of the other players around him. I envision games where the old Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke noises will shake down from the seats.

Holmgren KNOWS he has weakened the offense and that is telling me he has more in mind. I like some of the guys that have been named like Parenteau and Gaustad ( I wanted him last year) and I guess we'll soon see what unfolds. Last year's deals should should be more than sufficient to show that there's no telling what Holmgren will do. He's certainly very unpredictable.

Why did some things happen? A key thing to me was the GM's unhappiness at season end with how loose the team D was and the premium being put on offense by the coach. Holmgren's biggest move so far has been to make the team more defensive and by doing so it might be considered a direct shot across the bow of one Peter Laviolette & his attack at all costs system. Pete got a bit testy and upset when he was told that his system needed some revamping. Fine. He can get mad all he wants but it's not his boat. He just pilots it. I think he pretty much knows what he has to do to please those who sign the checks or they'll just get somebody else in his place who will do their bidding. Sometimes it's good to be the king.

Out(tends to think that more is definitely in store)land

Brett
Brett

June 25th, 2012, 1:33 am #8

It depends what the plan is going to be with Schenn and Couturier though. Gaustad gives you that big physical center to match up against big first line centers. He's good on faceoffs as well. I've always heard positives about him as a team leader and locker room presence as well. Right now we have Giroux, Briere, Schenn, Couturier, and Talbot...Gaustad makes 6 centers. While I like having depth down the middle, I think we could use some guys who are used to playing the wing. Does Schenn or Couturier get turned into one?

Ah heck, thinking about it, put Gaustad on the wing with Talbot. His game isn't dependent on being in the middle the way offensive playmakers are. Then he gives us a spare guy to step into the middle in case of injury/ejection/penalty.

I don't like the Coach/GM issues...that concerns me greatly. Bryz had his best success under Tippett in Phoenix with a very responsible defensive system. Laviolette won a Cup playing his balls to the wall system in Carolina with a very hot Cam Ward backstopping them. It's like hiring Mike Martz to run your team and telling him you want a power rushing attack. But our owner wanted to goalie. Our GM picked the coach and assembled the team. Against NJ, the attacking style came up dry against the Devils. Lavy could be on the hot seat going into this season, especially depending on how well the roster gets filled out.

Outy, you're correct once again as your thoughts on Luuuuuuuke 2.0, Parenteau, and Gaustad all perfectly coincide with mine.

Brett
Brett

June 25th, 2012, 1:37 am #9

Voracek Schenn Briere
Talbot Guastadt Simmonds
Rinaldo Couterier Read

I like what Gausdadt brings to this team physically and Paranteau has shown he can produsce on a top line with the Islanders. This gives us a solid 4 lines and with Schenn on the defensive side a much more physical team.
And it does fill things out nicely without going crazy spending money. As said below in response to Outy, I'm a big fan of Gaustad.

Justin Schultz would be my primary target if I wasn't going to go hard at Suter.

Raggs
Raggs

June 25th, 2012, 9:33 am #10

Voracek-Giroux-Hartnell
Schenn-Briere-Read
Wellwood-Talbot-Rinaldo

He could also be a player Pittsburg is thinking about adding to Crosby Malkin and Neal now that Staal is gone. The media keeps talking about trading for Bobby Ryan, Nash or signing Parise or Suter and that we'll again be missing goals. With the departure of JVR and if Jagr isn't re-uped, the Flyers will be looking for a sniper for G to feed, Alex Semin might be a good fit. He's also a good piece for the power play. Then try and sign Gaustad to add size and forcheck to flank Briere and Voracek. The forward lines then look very nice. Re-up Carle and you still have cap space for callups if Pronger isn't making a miracle recovery. All three players are UFA's so you don't lose any future prospects or current roster players.

Hartnell/Giroux/Semin
Gaustad/Briere/Voracek
Simmonds/Schenn/Read
Talbot/Coots/Rinaldo-Wellwood

Grossman/Coburn
Kimmo/Mez
Carle/Schenn

Bryz and why not Leighton as the back-up, he has been good to the orginsation and as much $hit as he recieved for his softy in the finals we would have never made it there without him.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/r ... hp?id=8209

Confirmation of reply: