Shanny invokes the Flyers clause

Shanny invokes the Flyers clause

Icer
Icer

March 1st, 2012, 6:54 pm #1

He said he's not even reviewing the Vlasic hit on Briere.

If you want to stop the concussions you have to at least LOOK at plays like that!

And Briere's now saying he doesn't remember getting hit, so look for him to miss more games......

WCF
WCF

March 1st, 2012, 7:06 pm #2

This league is run so poorly it's comical, here we have a star player who already had a concussion THIS year, was subjected to clearly a questionable hit and like you said, because he is a Flyer, no action taken. Selective enforcement and that's why the league loves when we nosedive and fade from the picture.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

March 1st, 2012, 7:18 pm #3

He said he's not even reviewing the Vlasic hit on Briere.

If you want to stop the concussions you have to at least LOOK at plays like that!

And Briere's now saying he doesn't remember getting hit, so look for him to miss more games......
If you slow down the replay you can see that Danny skates in fast to beat Vlasic to the puck and as he gets to the puck he puts on the brakes hard. This was 3 ft from the boards and Vlasic shoves him into the boards. Briere put himself in a bad situation by slamming on the brakes right in front of Vlasic. All Vlasic did was finish his check I really don't see what else he is suppose to do in that situation.
Now whether the Flyers would get the same benefit of reasoning from Shanahan if it was a Flyer laying someone out like that is debatable.

fff

OutL
OutL

March 1st, 2012, 7:25 pm #4

Sorry he got smoked into next year on the play but Danny put himself in a bad spot when he stopped and planted himself like that so far away from the boards. It could have been called but I think both refs read the situation properly.

Outs

Icer
Icer

March 1st, 2012, 8:33 pm #5

If you slow down the replay you can see that Danny skates in fast to beat Vlasic to the puck and as he gets to the puck he puts on the brakes hard. This was 3 ft from the boards and Vlasic shoves him into the boards. Briere put himself in a bad situation by slamming on the brakes right in front of Vlasic. All Vlasic did was finish his check I really don't see what else he is suppose to do in that situation.
Now whether the Flyers would get the same benefit of reasoning from Shanahan if it was a Flyer laying someone out like that is debatable.

fff
but that certainly doesn't change Vlasic's culpability. Vlasic barely hit Briere, but then extended his arms to push him into the boards.

(this isn't rhetorical, I'm curious what people think:) If you are going by the "Briere's fault" thought, what do you do to stop this sort of thing from happening? Is Briere supposed to just skate by the puck? Is he not allowed to try to protect the puck? Guys have to be allowed to play hockey without the risk of getting driven head first into the boards. Vlasic could very easily have avoided that, he came to an almost complete stop before hitting Briere, the problem was that he then proceeded to shove him.

My issue is this: the league keeps saying they want to address concussions. Then a hit like this, and the league will not even review it to see what can be done. I don't care if Vlasic gets suspended, that does nothing for the Flyers season. I do care that players aren't being given a consistent message that you need to show more respect for other players health.

Pelle31
Pelle31

March 1st, 2012, 10:40 pm #6

Briere beat him to the puck!!!!! why should that be a bad thing?

if the puck is along the boards and you beat the player to the puck how is it NOT possible to have your back to the defender?

whether or not you think Briere(I could understand it if he turned himself at the last moment but he didn't) put himself in a bad spot doesn't excuse to shove him from behind into the boards....he CHOSE to extend his arms and shove him from behind.

MachoFlyer
MachoFlyer

March 1st, 2012, 11:14 pm #7

Sorry he got smoked into next year on the play but Danny put himself in a bad spot when he stopped and planted himself like that so far away from the boards. It could have been called but I think both refs read the situation properly.

Outs
You are trying to tell me if Coburn buried Marleau into the boards like that it wouldn't have been a 5 minute major and a suspension. Wow did Breire tell Vlasic it was ok to push him into the boards from behind because he skated in front of him. And Shanny didnt bother reviewing the hit. This is a bias opinion against the Flyers and it only proves my point from before.

OutL
OutL

March 2nd, 2012, 2:29 pm #8

What you describe with Coburn / Marleau would be amazing if they could actually get Coburn to be more physical more often.

You believe what you do but just because you think it would be that way doesn't make it that way. Ergo, you can't say it PROVES anything. It's still an opinion and conjecture with absolutely nothing tangible to support the notion that is indeed what Shanahan would have done if a Flyer was involved. We both can surmise about a possibility of an action but we can't say it's a guarantee to take place. It's the same thing when folks say that they KNOW the Flyers have zero chance to win the Cup. Really? They know? Or do they believe? Big difference.

Shanahan has had a full plate this season but even so who's to say Shanahan didn't look at (review) the Briere / Vlasic play? Do you know for sure that he didn't see it? Just because there was no action taken does not mean it wasn't reviewed. He didn't do anything about Nystrom's blasting of Letang into Concussionville either but you can bet your last dollar that he looked at that one as well.

Outs

Confirmation of reply: