Shane Doan sets an example for the Flyers

Shane Doan sets an example for the Flyers

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 5th, 2012, 2:33 am #1

On this very day, we see a man's play win a hockey game. Shane Doan goes in and hits Hal Gill, who is much bigger than him, knocks him on his ***, walks off the boards and flips a prayer that is answered by a two bank pinball shot and Phoenix wins 1-0.

He did not take a lazy circle. He did not pull up. He committed to a hit. He scored. His team won.

Do it, Flyers. Let's see some men doing their physical utmost to achieve victory, a complete turnaround from the garbage that too many of the minutes of the last two games has featured.

Bring in Rinaldo! Wellwood to the 4th line and under 10 minutes, please. Better yet, bring in Rinaldo and Zolniercyzk and then we'll get some action! Soft players are not needed.

Outstradamus
Outstradamus

May 5th, 2012, 3:09 am #2

Getting my azz handed to me. In spades.

If I was the NYR & Flyers I'd be more than a little worried.

Outs

Pelle31
Pelle31

May 5th, 2012, 3:09 am #3

On this very day, we see a man's play win a hockey game. Shane Doan goes in and hits Hal Gill, who is much bigger than him, knocks him on his ***, walks off the boards and flips a prayer that is answered by a two bank pinball shot and Phoenix wins 1-0.

He did not take a lazy circle. He did not pull up. He committed to a hit. He scored. His team won.

Do it, Flyers. Let's see some men doing their physical utmost to achieve victory, a complete turnaround from the garbage that too many of the minutes of the last two games has featured.

Bring in Rinaldo! Wellwood to the 4th line and under 10 minutes, please. Better yet, bring in Rinaldo and Zolniercyzk and then we'll get some action! Soft players are not needed.
They need to play more physical and pay the price......I disagree that rinaldo is the answer....

Until the top line players start paying the price we have no shot....until they decide they are going to shoot instead of making cross ice or backwards passes we lose......shoot pucks from everywhere and crash the net .....jersey d isn't going to give any time or space so you have to get dirty......our guys seem to want to try and play five on five like they are on a pp.....too damn cute instead of doing it the worker way

dl
dl

May 5th, 2012, 4:03 am #4

but he is not THE answer, and the same holds true for Harry Z. People are looking for guys to lead, why not dress people that play that way, and give the team a jump start.

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 5th, 2012, 5:34 am #5

They need to play more physical and pay the price......I disagree that rinaldo is the answer....

Until the top line players start paying the price we have no shot....until they decide they are going to shoot instead of making cross ice or backwards passes we lose......shoot pucks from everywhere and crash the net .....jersey d isn't going to give any time or space so you have to get dirty......our guys seem to want to try and play five on five like they are on a pp.....too damn cute instead of doing it the worker way
Some players think it means to energetically skate to a puck and get pushed off it without ever initiating body contact.

Other players make it their aim to finish the check, knowing that it takes a toll on an opponent and with their role that should be their full focus. They bring energy to the game.

Wellwood.

Rinaldo.

Now, I've been harping on Wellwood and it isn't as if I hate him, as it might seem. I just think that in the role he is playing a softie like him is of little use.

No doubt the others have to bring the fire. But we need a line that can go out and bang a little and the present construction isn't helping. One may say Wellwood is just a 4th liner but he's playing more than that and I think he shouldn't given that he basically accomplishes nothing with all his speed. Perhaps he'll learn. There are too many young guys on the team for us to afford him learning now.

But, Laviolette likes pussy play, as we know, so I am sure we'll see Wellwood skating to nowhere for another 15 minutes on Sunday.

If we had Simmonds, Schenn, Hartnell, and JVR banging then this would be less important and then maybe we could afford a figure skater like Wellwood as a role player. But they aren't, and we need somebody who we can count on doing it, and I believe that we could count on either Rinaldo or Zolniercyk to do it where Wellwood won't.

I have been mentioned all the guys I expect to hit all along. But, we can't pull any of them out of the lineup like we could Wellwood. As it is we have a hole with Couturier missing and I want some action out of his replacement.

They are way too passive, most of us would agree, and need to man up right away or this series is lost.

Pelle31
Pelle31

May 5th, 2012, 12:58 pm #6

but he is not THE answer, and the same holds true for Harry Z. People are looking for guys to lead, why not dress people that play that way, and give the team a jump start.
Two straight loses it has to be done and realistically you can't change the top guys at this point......

Pelle31
Pelle31

May 5th, 2012, 1:02 pm #7

Some players think it means to energetically skate to a puck and get pushed off it without ever initiating body contact.

Other players make it their aim to finish the check, knowing that it takes a toll on an opponent and with their role that should be their full focus. They bring energy to the game.

Wellwood.

Rinaldo.

Now, I've been harping on Wellwood and it isn't as if I hate him, as it might seem. I just think that in the role he is playing a softie like him is of little use.

No doubt the others have to bring the fire. But we need a line that can go out and bang a little and the present construction isn't helping. One may say Wellwood is just a 4th liner but he's playing more than that and I think he shouldn't given that he basically accomplishes nothing with all his speed. Perhaps he'll learn. There are too many young guys on the team for us to afford him learning now.

But, Laviolette likes pussy play, as we know, so I am sure we'll see Wellwood skating to nowhere for another 15 minutes on Sunday.

If we had Simmonds, Schenn, Hartnell, and JVR banging then this would be less important and then maybe we could afford a figure skater like Wellwood as a role player. But they aren't, and we need somebody who we can count on doing it, and I believe that we could count on either Rinaldo or Zolniercyk to do it where Wellwood won't.

I have been mentioned all the guys I expect to hit all along. But, we can't pull any of them out of the lineup like we could Wellwood. As it is we have a hole with Couturier missing and I want some action out of his replacement.

They are way too passive, most of us would agree, and need to man up right away or this series is lost.
Where the flyer team from game six of the last series went? They are not playing with that kind of intensity you need to play with. Is it because they used up a lot of emotion against the pens? I thought hat might be a concern to either team that won that first round matchup.....

dl
dl

May 5th, 2012, 2:04 pm #8

it affected the Kings or Coyotes? Do you think Jersey used up a lot of emotion going 7 games against Florida. Jersey isn't hitting either??? Have we seen more than maybe one check that would make you cringe in all 3 games? Rangers play a similar defense, but yet are much more physical than the Devils. So it becomes more natural for Philly to play them physically. But Jersey is lulling them to sleep. Have we seen more than 2 or 3 times where there is any pushing or shoving or even much conversation after the whistle? Outside of Carter for them, I haven't seen it from any of their players as they skate away.

The Pens hated Philly remember? The Pens carried the physical play to the Flyers and the FLyers responded. Jersey has NOT done ONE thing to Piss off anyone, other than winning two games. This series is being played like an intersquad game.

So the Flyers have to inititate, which will probably mean more penalties. But, it started to change a bit in the last game, as Philly had the Devils at times. But I really don't see any dramatic changes. Philly has to win the close games. They are 1-1 in that respect.

Pelle31
Pelle31

May 5th, 2012, 5:34 pm #9

Similar to how the Wings treated the Lindros led Flyers in the Cup finals......they didn't engage the Lindros line and put them to sleep

No other seriee so far used up as Mich emotion as the Pens Flyers....they player each other almost exclusively for a month....it may be part of why they can't get back up for this series....they must now as they are down 2-1....

Confirmation of reply: