Prust suspension

Prust suspension

Icer
Icer

May 22nd, 2012, 4:13 pm #1

Shanahan has got to go.

I saw the replay on NHL Network yesterday, it looks like the elbow never even hit the head, even after Volchenkov dips low to avoid the hit. Prust's forearm barely swipes the back of the helmet, Volchenkov takes a page from Sydny's "Diving for Dummies" book. Prust has NO history - even to the point of only having 2 career elbowing penalties. No injury. No intent, no previous displays of "frustration".

For all the head shots not being called, including a few of Volchenkov's, for what just got ignored from Phoenix, how in the world does this merit even a look?

It's gotten completely out of control, how do the players even know how to hit anymore?

Waiting for another fine on Tortorella for his comments on it.

Brett
Brett

May 22nd, 2012, 11:27 pm #2

The fact that he can say previous behavior is taken into account, and then levy 1 game for Prust and 1 game for Giroux while noted scumbag Neal gets the same penalty for TWO violent hits on 1 shift is just ludicrous.

The videos were meant to clarify the rulings, all they have done is clarify the hypocrisy and inconsistency of the rulings.

dl
dl

May 22nd, 2012, 11:49 pm #3

Shanahan has got to go.

I saw the replay on NHL Network yesterday, it looks like the elbow never even hit the head, even after Volchenkov dips low to avoid the hit. Prust's forearm barely swipes the back of the helmet, Volchenkov takes a page from Sydny's "Diving for Dummies" book. Prust has NO history - even to the point of only having 2 career elbowing penalties. No injury. No intent, no previous displays of "frustration".

For all the head shots not being called, including a few of Volchenkov's, for what just got ignored from Phoenix, how in the world does this merit even a look?

It's gotten completely out of control, how do the players even know how to hit anymore?

good post/nm

Freak
Freak

May 23rd, 2012, 12:07 am #4

The fact that he can say previous behavior is taken into account, and then levy 1 game for Prust and 1 game for Giroux while noted scumbag Neal gets the same penalty for TWO violent hits on 1 shift is just ludicrous.

The videos were meant to clarify the rulings, all they have done is clarify the hypocrisy and inconsistency of the rulings.
how can Neal get 1 game, and Torres gets 25? Were the hits that different?

No...just the player wasn't injured, whereas Hossa is still wondering what happened.

Also..how is Torres hitting Hossa the worst crime in the NHL ever? No player I believe, has had a 25 game suspension until now...this hit was somehow worse than McSorleys baseball swing to Brashears head or Bertuzzi's neck breaking hit?

The league is a joke.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 23rd, 2012, 12:42 am #5

Shanahan has got to go.

NO INTENT???? I take your word for the no contact part but there was clearly an attempt to elbow Volchenkov. Just because he didn't make contact is irrelevant he attempted to elbow him in the head. If I was to use your logic then there are a lot of attempted murders that could use you as their lawyer!!

fff

dl
dl

May 23rd, 2012, 1:57 am #6

INTENT??????? How is that interpretted? THERE would be NO physical player playing in HOCKEY. Including Shanahan, Tell me 80% of the hits by physical players are NOT intended to injure. NO not to end a career, but to let's say mildly injure.

What's next the intent of a slew foot, the intent of a knee on knee, the attempt to board, but the defesnsive player moved to there was little contact, but the attempt was to charge or board.....this league a credablility check in the OFF SEASON.

Icer
Icer

May 23rd, 2012, 2:15 am #7

NO INTENT???? I take your word for the no contact part but there was clearly an attempt to elbow Volchenkov. Just because he didn't make contact is irrelevant he attempted to elbow him in the head. If I was to use your logic then there are a lot of attempted murders that could use you as their lawyer!!

fff
Brandon Prust has 2 elbowing penalties in his entire career. Never been subject to any discipline ever. The guy plays clean. So I add that to what I saw - Prust pretty clearly was looking to hit Volchenkov, not a chance he could pull out of head contact when Volchenkov spun and ducked. Had Volchecnkov not spun, that was a clean, hard check.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 23rd, 2012, 5:07 am #8

Watch the replay again and it is obvious to any sane person that Prust actually threw out his elbow at Volchenkov's head not a doubt in the world dude. He got what he deserved one game was about right based on the playoff standards set. I don't even know how you could defend that it is so obvious, just before contact he threw his elbow out and up at Volchenkov's head. We'll have to just agree to disagree on this one.

fff

Outland
Outland

May 23rd, 2012, 6:40 pm #9

how can Neal get 1 game, and Torres gets 25? Were the hits that different?

No...just the player wasn't injured, whereas Hossa is still wondering what happened.

Also..how is Torres hitting Hossa the worst crime in the NHL ever? No player I believe, has had a 25 game suspension until now...this hit was somehow worse than McSorleys baseball swing to Brashears head or Bertuzzi's neck breaking hit?

The league is a joke.
Simon was once suspended 30 games and then another time for 25 games. Jesse Boulerice also got 25 for his cross check to the face of Ryan Kesler.

Simon got 30 games for slamming his skate hard into Jaarko Ruuto's foot. Chris Pronger got only 8 games for doing the same kind of thing to the unprotected back of the leg of Ryan Kesler. IMO, Pronger didn't pay nearly enough for what was a conspicuos (and despicable) attempt to injure.

Simon's 25 gamer was for a 2 hand stick attack to the face of Ryan Hollweg.

A coincidence that Kesler was a target twice? Kesler's gotten under the skin of a lot of players.

Outs

Freak
Freak

May 23rd, 2012, 10:52 pm #10

Ha..I thought it was just a list of Flyers who had long suspensions.

Still.....

Torres hit was not near those, and I can't see how his is warranted as one of the worst ever...especially given the timing and near carbon copy hit from Neal on Couturier.

Just shows again how inconsistent the calls are.

Confirmation of reply: