props to bryz

props to bryz

Pelle31
Pelle31

March 5th, 2012, 2:28 am #1

he earned that one...made several big stops....

another game where the refs let em play....very physical game

Loki
Loki

March 5th, 2012, 2:30 am #2

And the game winner from a rookie.

I just don't understand the PL hate. What that guy has done with so much turnover on his roster and so many rookies is just incredible.

Sedsey
Sedsey

March 5th, 2012, 2:42 am #3

The Lava timeout rears its head again. Without Timonen and Meszaros and Lilja and Gustafsson in the lineup, against an opponent desperate for wins, and finding a way despite some usual troubles getting inside against a team determined to deny rebounds.

Nice job by a check line consisting of Couturier, Wellwood, and Rinaldo. They did a god job against Ovechkin. Couturier made a game changing defensive stop behind our net when he used his body to prevent the wraparound into an open net. Wellwood continues to place himself at the top of the list for deserving call-ups past the likes of Zolniercyk or Holmstrom.

Get used to this style, Flyers, because that is how it will be in the playoffs. Wide open chances will be few and fighting to get into the opponent's crease will be the difference between scoring and shut out.

Outland
Outland

March 5th, 2012, 1:33 pm #4

Both needed it badly and each got what they sought.

Another timely timeout by PL? I didn't see that as being so huge this time around. It didn't hurt but, to me, it didn't turn the game around or rally them from a deficit. It was 0-0 and it looked more like giving them a blow with some explanation attached. I felt it was the horrendous play by Alex Ovechkin (absurd blind pass to the middle that was intercepted and turned the other way) that did more for the Flyers getting a score than it was the time out.

That wounded team played a good, smart game and pretty much with defense in mind. They also stayed away from the penalty box even though they still hit well. Not that the Caps didn't have a bunch of good chances but the Flyers kept after them and usually made them work hard for what they got.

Perhaps a team that had it's act together more than those Caps would have done more but perhaps not can be said just as legitimately.

Outs

OutL
OutL

March 5th, 2012, 1:55 pm #5

he earned that one...made several big stops....

another game where the refs let em play....very physical game
I was kind of surprised that he gave that slash penalty to Chimera. I've seen worse and it was a bit weak by McCauley standards. I think Chimera was surprised too but he certainly got away with worse slashes as the game went on.

Bryz was a rock and he looked real good. I've long felt that he's needed to play a heavier workload to round into form and now that it's happening he's been looking better and better. He still might not satisfy all those who want / wanted his head on a pike but he might have gotten some breathing room with that performance when the team really needed him to be a wall.

Outs

Outland
Outland

March 5th, 2012, 2:52 pm #6

I just don't understand the PL hate. What that guy has done with so much turnover on his roster and so many rookies is just incredible.
I'm sure PL rates a lot higher in the eyes of the Flyer organization than he does in the eyes of the fans. Fans want a LOT and sometimes want too much. Still, it's the fans that can make or break a guy.

He's done a fine job in some aspects (like what you mention) while still making people angry over how his team seldom seems to be ready when the bell rings and has too many stretches of lethargy. He also yells a lot but it's been a bark with no bite for the most part. I think that stuff gets old and ears can tune it out quickly especially when it's just more of the same prattle. It's probably the #1 reason Hitch moves along so often

Outs

Icer
Icer

March 5th, 2012, 6:07 pm #7

I know people in Philly wouldn't think it, but if this team makes noise in the playoffs, after a huge roster flip, losing Pronger, other big injuries, Bryz playing most of the season in another universe, all those rookies.... he deserves it.

And has the league told refs to stop calling penalties? All over the league, 3 or 4 a game lately. And it's not like the players are suddenly following the rules. There were a couple times late in the 3rd that the caps were "allowed to play", keeping pucks in the Flyers zone by grabbing, hooking, tripping Flyers who were trying to clear pucks. That could easily have changed the outcome of a 1-0 game. But props to the Flyers, they realized it was allowed, so they joined in. Just hope we don't see a return to the clutch & grab days.

Have I just not seen it, or has Ovechkin recently become a really dirty player? Lots of high elbows, late hits, punches. He should be focusing on playing a little defense instead of taking cheap shots.

Outland
Outland

March 5th, 2012, 8:29 pm #8

Teams can go on a tear in the playoffs but I believe the matter is decided on the 82 game schedule results. Plenty of good candidates to be named including Laviolette BUT I believe the winner of that award will be either Hitchcock or Tortorella.

Ovechkin has always been mean and nasty. To his credit he takes what he dishes out without complaint.

Loki
Loki

March 5th, 2012, 9:06 pm #9

He has the Rangers playing at a pretty high level for most of the season.

Of coure, switch the goaltenders on the Flyers and Rangers and who wouldn't say that the Flyers would be sitting where the Rangers are now in the standings? That said, it's nice to see that Bryz might finally be realizing that he needs to focus more on his craft than his Tweets.

Icer
Icer

March 5th, 2012, 9:16 pm #10

Imagine if we had Thomas.

Oh, that's right, we're tied with Boston right now.

Wow! Imagine if we had Thomas!

Point taken about Lundqvist, but I do think Torts is the prime candidate, if only because he took a bunch of guys that folded under pressure, didn't understand committment, and turned them into a very consistent, hard charging team that has to be a cup favorite.

And back to Thomas - part of why he's so good is because his coach knows he tends to leave deep rebounds, so his team makes a point of swiping those off to the corners. Notice what the Flyers were doing in front of Bryz last night?

Confirmation of reply: