Problem remains.....

Problem remains.....

dl
dl

July 22nd, 2012, 12:09 pm #1

Jut thinking out loud.....Smell something Burning Outty??????

Now Although we will be thrilled to acquire a Shea Weber, it is going to be interesting to see where the OFFENSE is coming from.

Let's just suppose the Flyers get Weber and trade Nashville Coburn or Messaros. As much as we like to keep either of these two, we can live with that to get Weber. But what may be part of that deal is a forward. If it is Vorachek or Reed, then Holmgrem has some dealing to do, to acquire one or two forwards to make up for the loss of offense coupled with the loss they already have by losing Jagr, and JVR.

Now by giving up a top dman and Vorachek, it does make it financially possible to acquire Doan. But it also becomes imperative to get Doan, if the Weber deal costs the Flyers a top forward.

The only other viable option is Semin, and that may NOT be a good fit.

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 22nd, 2012, 1:03 pm #2

they did quite well without JVR for most of the season and Jagr fizzled the last third of the season. Jake does provide flexibility and Read when hot can put pucks in bunches.

I think the Flyers should have a wait and see attitude if they get Weber. The D should be better so they won't have to score 4 goals a game. That might be part of their thinking as well. If they need to make a move to pick up a scorer they can do it down the road

Brett
Brett

July 22nd, 2012, 1:50 pm #3

Jut thinking out loud.....Smell something Burning Outty??????

Now Although we will be thrilled to acquire a Shea Weber, it is going to be interesting to see where the OFFENSE is coming from.

Let's just suppose the Flyers get Weber and trade Nashville Coburn or Messaros. As much as we like to keep either of these two, we can live with that to get Weber. But what may be part of that deal is a forward. If it is Vorachek or Reed, then Holmgrem has some dealing to do, to acquire one or two forwards to make up for the loss of offense coupled with the loss they already have by losing Jagr, and JVR.

Now by giving up a top dman and Vorachek, it does make it financially possible to acquire Doan. But it also becomes imperative to get Doan, if the Weber deal costs the Flyers a top forward.

The only other viable option is Semin, and that may NOT be a good fit.

First, we did finish 2nd overall in goals, and I believe somewhere around 21st in goals against. The defense going into this season should be much stouter with the additions of Weber (tentatively), Schenn, and Grossman for a full season. I little bit of offense gone but covered by better defensive play to offset it.

Secondly, JVR's stats (11-13-24) and Weber's (19-30-49). We didn't have JVR for half of the year and he was an effective play for much less than half the year. Weber gives us one of the best point shots in the NHL and also makes the power play better. His presence will help with scoring.

Third, B. Schenn was also out for most of the season and didn't contribute much. A healthy year from him, some improvement from Couturier with more ice, we should be fine.

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm #4

we get Weber we get not only a right handed shot but a right handed hammer on the PP.....no more collapsing down low on our forwards

Brett
Brett

July 22nd, 2012, 2:19 pm #5

You'll have Simmonds and Hartnell on each line to crash the net, Weber and either Meszaros or Schenn as RH shots, Briere and Giruox for speedy playmakers...each line on the PP should have all the right ingredients.

dl
dl

July 22nd, 2012, 4:26 pm #6

First, we did finish 2nd overall in goals, and I believe somewhere around 21st in goals against. The defense going into this season should be much stouter with the additions of Weber (tentatively), Schenn, and Grossman for a full season. I little bit of offense gone but covered by better defensive play to offset it.

Secondly, JVR's stats (11-13-24) and Weber's (19-30-49). We didn't have JVR for half of the year and he was an effective play for much less than half the year. Weber gives us one of the best point shots in the NHL and also makes the power play better. His presence will help with scoring.

Third, B. Schenn was also out for most of the season and didn't contribute much. A healthy year from him, some improvement from Couturier with more ice, we should be fine.
now the Pessimistic side.......I will gladly agree with your opinion the DEFENSE has been improved ALOT. AND defense get's you Championships. However, I don't buy into your offense optimisim......Yes Weber will help the PP, but Jagr helped tremendously also. Remember there are 54 POINTS your are talking about in 72 games. And although Weber should be counted on for a number of points, you also need to remove the 40 some points that Carle contributed both even strength and on the PP.

Schenn and Courtier (if Vorcek is gone), will have to shoulder the load of points to be made up. So what others are picking up the pace?

I do believe if their defense is tighter, which with Weber it will be the offense is NOT the focal point which as someone pointed out, they won't have to score 5 goals to win a game.

Now another monkey wrench.......what if Nashville matches? Same Philosophy?

Confirmation of reply: